Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Ted Green

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Ted Green

Has anyone ever heard of Ted Green? He had a book called Chord Chemistry. More importantly, has anyone ever heard him play gutiar. He passed away in 2005 but he was truly amazing as a guitarist.

He did chord comping, bass lines, and melody at the same time. If you have not heard of him I strongly urge you to check out his CD. He made one CD in 1977 called Ted Green, Solo Guitar.

If you go to this link.. http://www.artofliferecords.com/tedgreene.html

There is some sample mp3 snippets of his music. Totally amazing guitarist. He taught at GIT in California for a while also. Check it out and if you have never heard him, make sure you are sitting down...

Let me know what you think. I posted in this category because he was a master at arranging jazz standards for guitar...

Joe

I've heard about Ted Green. I've got the book you mention, and are plannign to buy his Chord Progression book whenever I find it. Bought his album some weeks ago, and liked it a lot.

I had the pleasure of meeting Ted and seeing him play at McCabes, a small club in Santa Monica where he taught and played in 1972.

A good friend in high school had taken lessons from Ted since he was 9 years old, and took me to see him play. As we sat and talked after his performance, I mention a good friend of my parents who often played at my house named George Van Epps. Teds eyes widened as he said "I'm taking lessons from him right now". Ted was like a guru in the L.A. music scene. He was very shy or he would have been a superstar....but he just loved to play and teach.

I was googling his name to find some recorded music, when I came across this.

parents are friends with George Van Epps? damn, that's awesome. He's the man...and so is Ted. Two of the best solo players ever. There are few guys that can play rhythm, melody and harmony all at the same time and never seem to fall into patterns.

Ted Green has the amazing ability to play a killing, super fast, walking bass line and a completely rhythmically independant solo all at the same time.

I just recently heartd about Ted Green dying last year and was bummed. I had the privlege of taking lessons from him for a while when i lived in california. He was the man for sure. I moved away last year and lost touch with him, but still his teachings have enhanced my playing ten fold. When i first meet him I could say he was much like Yoda from star wars...the Jedi master...lol. He was very cool, kinda like a grandfather I guess. I am really honored that he took the time to show me some things whenever i asked. He will certainly be missed over here.

I have that album and like it a lot. I also have both of his books on chords.

Here is some more stuff on him:

http://tedgreene.blogspot.com/

Joey, search for Ted Green on the forums and you'll see his name come up a lot.

He was a great teacher, very knowledgeable, and he had an elegant way of sharing his knowledge.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content