Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lack of Motivation

Arranged to take lessons next year with a professional tutor that plays electric starting sometime january.
    That's the right decision from you. Keep yourself busy. As soon as you improve, even if it's just a little, you'll feel instantly 100% motivated.

And, of course, keep posting.

Been pretty inconsistent with my practice lately, strangely enough do seem to be improving when I am motivated to practice.
    The guy teaching me at the moment is back this week so I'll keep going for the time being.
    Looking at getting some instructional dvds and stuff of people playing mainly just to watch.

the dvds are hit and miss. when u get a good one, they're really good. when they're not so good, they're not so good. but they're about the same cost as one lesson - even cheaper - and they last a lot longer.

brian setzer's hot licks is good. warren haynes stuff is good. truefire vids by brad carlton are good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    Been pretty inconsistent with my practice lately, strangely enough do seem to be improving when I am motivated to practice.
    The guy teaching me at the moment is back this week so I'll keep going for the time being.
    Looking at getting some instructional dvds and stuff of people playing mainly just to watch.
    Well do NOT get instructional DVD's just to watch! Make use of the damned things - pick one or more that really teach the stuff you want to know about, and make that DVD the centre of your regular practice ....

.... so stick the DVD in the player, and try to play though all the stuff which the guy is explaining ... that's your set practice regime ... you just stick at going through that, repeatedly over & over & over ... literally 10,000 times on each lick & each scale if necessary ...

... don't think about anything else, don't get sidetracked .... just do it like a machine ... like its non-negotiable.

If you are really more or less just starting out and just learning stuff (even if you’ve had a guitar for many years, but never really gone past the stage of strumming a few bit's and pieces), then I'd strongly recommend a very cheap but brilliant book by a guy called Barett Tagliarino ...

... that book comes with a CD which demonstrates everything in the book.

That book will take you a long way if you just sit down with it every morning and practice from it for an hour or two ... just read a couple of pages at time, listen to his CD with the examples ... and try to play the examples and the exercises ....

... that's all you have to do. Easy huh?

OK, here's a link to the book -

http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0404214/details.html

Just get it. And just do it. Don’t think about anything else. Don’t do anything else. Just do what it says in that book. That’s it.

Still practicing albeit somewhat inconsistantly, somedays I can pick up the guitar and go for an hour or two somedays its only half an hour.
    Sadly there are days when I'm just so down I don't see the point in it at all.

Been teaching myself some 7ths and getting into barre chords which I had some trouble with to start but handling them ok now.
    The guy giving me lessons told me he thought I was a natural guitarist which made me feel the happiest I've been all year.

I think because I'm just hammering away at the basics all the time it seems like all work and no fun but overall my chord changes are still pretty slow so I guess I have a ways to go yet.
    Last edited by Seppuku; 11-23-2010 at 05:40 AM.

Still practicing albeit somewhat inconsistantly, somedays I can pick up the guitar and go for an hour or two somedays its only half an hour.
    Sadly there are days when I'm just so down I don't see the point in it at all.

Been teaching myself some 7ths and getting into barre chords which I had some trouble with to start but handling them ok now.
    The guy giving me lessons told me he thought I was a natural guitarist which made me feel the happiest I've been all year.

I think because I'm just hammering away at the basics all the time it seems like all work and no fun but overall my chord changes are still pretty slow so I guess I have a ways to go yet.
    Just enjoy what you're doing. Don't worry you're not attaining some future goal. Never compare yourself with anyone else, only with how you were a while back.
    There is NO end, this is the point. You never reach a final point where you say "OK that's as good as I'm going to get!"

I'd trust what your teacher says. It's possible to be too self-critical: you need to identify what you regard as your weaker points and address them (your teacher helps there), but do it as a fun challenge, not as a depressing task. (There is no such thing as "perfection". Practice does not make perfect; it just improves.)

A good idea - if you can - is to find other musicians to play with, roughly around your level. (Slightly better is ideal, but any fellow players will do.) This should bring it home to you that the goal of music is simply playing with (and for) others: not "getting good" (it's not a competition, like training for the olympics ).
    Music exists in the present moment, then it's gone - until the next time.
    Of course, there are little challenges you will get all the time (the next song you want to learn), but keep those goals small-scale. In another metaphor, music is a long march; don't think about the destination (it's death basically!), just about the next step you're taking, putting one foot in front of the other; and enjoy the scenery .

Thanks JonR
    I don't think I touched my guitar all week and just picked it up today when I was bored.
    Went over what I've learned so far in a pretty relaxed fashion.
    Decided to learn a pretty easy riff just took it slowly.
    Everything seemed to flow and it was a little enjoyable.
    Last edited by Seppuku; 11-27-2010 at 05:04 AM.

Thanks JonR
    I don't think I touched my guitar all week and just picked it up today when I was bored.
    Went over what I've learned so far in a pretty relaxed fashion.
    Decided to learn a pretty easy riff just took it slowly.
    Everything seemed to flow and it was a little enjoyable.
    I had to push myself really quite hard to make any progress trying to learn guitar.

My motivating circumstances were quite different from yours, but they did include a very serious personal disaster ... and without that, I'm not sure I would ever have forced myself to go beyond what I'd done as a kid 20 years before just messing around with a few chords, a few guessed solo notes, and a few parts of half-finished songs...in all adding up to virtually nothing.

However, when I did start to throw all my time and attention into the guitar, then slowly, day by day, I did begin to improve. They were small improvements, just little things, but they were real and definite enough to make me realise that (a)that was the sort of level of work that was required (and anything less just wasn't going to work for me, it would have just been another frustrating failure to improve), and (b)if I kept working at it in that way then I would eventually make the bigger improvements I'd always hoped for, and I would eventually achieve my dream of being able to play decently well.

That has been a really huge amount of work. And it still continues to be a huge amount of work even now (10 years later). But the point is - where you describe your recent efforts as merely " a little bit enjoyable " (and I think you meant that's only happened on one of your better days, right?), I found there was a much more clear & definite level of confidence & a sense of real achievement gained from realising that I was definitely improving and actually getting somewhere.

How does that relate to you? Well, perhaps I should just leave you to see what you think about my experiences. But we are not describing things that are so very different that they might as well be entirely different subjects ... we are both talking about guitar, music, and using the guitar in a way to combat other problems in life. And specifically in this post we are talking about whether it gives you only a "little pleasure" or whether like me, you could get a great deal more pleasure, confidence and reassurance from it if you can throw all your attention and efforts into it in the way the way that I described.

I practiced for 40 minutes last night.
    My fingertips are a bit softer than I thought they would be after all this time and I felt a bit sore in the body after awhile.
    I've been told by other guitarists I know that 2 hours a day is the minimum you'd want to be practicing I think I should probably just start off slow and build up to that to get my body used to it, maybe do half an hour in the morning and half an hour at night and slowly increase each.
    From some of your posts, it sounds like you've been a bit inconsistent with guitar. (And that's fine, guitar doesn't HAVE to be your whole life--something that just adds a little value, and can be a fun distraction). But, maybe you dread practicing, or you're hurting your fingers?

I find that the most important thing for me is consistency. It doesn't have to be consistent every day. You could set a schedule for doing it twice a week, or 3 times a week, as long as you do it the same days every week, with the same minimum amount of practicing every time you practice.

I personally try to practice every day, for 30 minutes. Most of these guys probably warm up longer than that. But it works for me. Occasionally, I might get carried away, and play for a couple hours. But that's the exception for me. I have other stuff I have to do/want to do. And, I have been seeing some good progress. My goals might not be as high as some other members of the forum, but I am reaching my goals, and it's been a fun addition to my life.

A little story, I've had a few sisters who were learning to play violin. For those of you who know, great instrument for those who are good. Horrendous to listen to if the violinist isn't very good. Anyways, my first two sisters were a real pain to listen to until about sophomore year in high school. Then, they were good enough that it didn't hurt me to hear them in the background. I think they probably practiced for an hour a couple times a week.

Now, my 3rd sister, her teacher makes her practice for 20 minutes a day every day. She can't practice for an hour and count it as 3 days. She has to practice every day. It's amazing what this has done for her. She's only in 7th grade, but she plays as good as my other two sisters were back in 9th grade. Consistency is key! Get a regular schedule, and a set lesson. Bite off only as much as you can chew for a long time, and you'll get better quickly.

Thanks crossroads and urucoug.
    My fingers are pretty nicely conditioned now so thats not really proving a problem.

I think that thirty minutes a day sounds pretty good, lately I've just had the blues so bad Its been hard to motivate myself to do it as I'm in a "whats the point of anything?" frame of mind.

Even missed a couple of lessons because I was exhausted from work and didn't think there was a point seein I'd hardly been practicing the stuff from the last lesson I had.

Its not the way I'd usually be, used to be when I set my mind to something I'd have this insanely obsessive focus with doing as much as I could in every little aspect to master whatever it was.

I think that thirty minutes a day sounds pretty good, lately I've just had the blues so bad Its been hard to motivate myself to do it as I'm in a "whats the point of anything?" frame of mind.
    Sometimes that state of mind vanishes as you start playing...ever heard those stories when someone says that "I was not in a mood of playing but when I noticed 3 hours had passed". That's right....sometimes you only know for sure when you go through that initial effort and start playing....you never know when you will finish.

Thanks.

I'm not receiving lessons now as the guy at the drop in centre decided to move on.

Decided to change my routine a little and have been teaching myself some scales and maintaining chord change practice, its been a little better having that sense of achievement from learning new stuff.
    I think it would be a good idea to maybe learn some new chords and the note names on the fifth and sixth strings.

Start with my new tutor january next year so will just continue doing fairly basic stuff until then.

Decided to change my routine a little and have been teaching myself some scales and maintaining chord change practice, its been a little better having that sense of achievement from learning new stuff.

I think it would be a good idea to maybe learn some new chords and the note names on the fifth and sixth strings.

Start with my new tutor january next year so will just continue doing fairly basic stuff until then.
    Why not learn a couple of favourite songs? That's usually good for an important sense of achievement and self-confidence.

Lick Library has dozens of very good instructional DVD's teaching you how to play famous songs note-for-note.

You don't need to get the whole song 100% perfect ... just learning a few of the main riffs can be very satisfying ... very good for your self-confidence .

Thanks for the suggestion,
    I had started to mess around a little learning riffs acdcs back in black, deep purples smoke on the water was quite keen on fully learning nirvanas about a girl found pretty good tutorials for all three on youtube but have problems with some technique.

My main biggest problem is my upstrums I just can't seem to get them right and whenever I try it feels horribly awkward and wrong, also
    my barre chords get progressively worse the further up the neck I go until I can't do them properly at all.

Thats kinda why I figured it'd just be better to build on some pretty basic skills until I have a knowledgeable teacher who can help point me in the right direction.

I might see if I can find some more tutorial vids for my problem areas and give it another go.
    Last edited by Seppuku; 12-15-2010 at 12:53 AM.

Hey guys 2011 finds me still here so I thought I'd post an update on my progress or lack thereof.

Was supposed to hear back from the new tutor in january, was a little concerned near the end of the month when I hadn't heard anything so gave them a ring and was told they were sorting out the lessons and would get back to me.
    Have yet to hear anything so I'm kinda wondering whats going on, whether its going to be a little longer or if I just missed out and they can't be bothered to ring me, figured I might as well wait a little longer and see what occurs.

As far as practice of my own I don't think I've picked up the guitar since the start of december I just figured I'd wait until I had some instruction and a structured lesson plan to follow, I do so much want to get into it as I feel time is wasting I just really want a teacher to help me as I feel completely lost trying to learn this by myself.

Been listening to alot of different music and my taste has changed alot very much a fan of metal now although I do still enjoy some old grunge and punk favourites.

So thats me lost and adrift, hopefully things are much better for the rest of you.