Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lack of Motivation

First of all, drop dead antidepressants! They kill negative emotions alongside with positive ones. You are an adult and strong person, you are a man after all! You can cope with depression by yourself. I've been ill for 2 years now and I know that it can't be cured. Just like you, I'm deprived of lots of conventional activities. Dammit, I can't even go outside for more than 2-3 hrs! Music is the only thing that helps me cope with depression. You have to admit that your body isn't your friend anymore and try to live normal life with it. Get back to guitar dude
    sudoku game http://thesudokugame.net/

Nah antidepressants don't work like that. Awhile ago I was convinced I was ready to stop taking them and was in the process of really slowly weening myself off them, I got to half the dose and it was like getting hit by a truck, I felt awful as hell again and was seriously considering dancing on the end of a rope most days. Needless to say I'm back to the full dose and feel mostly fine.

But anyway I did make somewhat of a recovery from my illness I still have to take alot of medication but I've been able to get back into some of my old pastimes, last year though I got injured really badly doing jujitsu so had to take a big time out from physical stuff and start of this year was pretty bored and decided to start playing guitar again.

Never managed to get a teacher anywhere although I pestered a few, I live in a small town and I'm guessing lesson space priority goes to youngsters. So I decided to learn online and signed up to next level guitar, I have been picking things up allright and I can play at a fairly basic open chord level, been learning powerchords for awhile and onto bar chords.

I practice about and hour a day although I have a day or two each week where I don't bother. Only thing is I have to force myself to do it, learning guitar isn't much fun for me it seems like all hard frustrating work.
    I've been trying to keep a mindset of keep your eye on the prize to slog through but I'm kind of wondering, why do something that you don't like doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    Only thing is I have to force myself to do it, learning guitar isn't much fun for me it seems like all hard frustrating work.
    I've been trying to keep a mindset of keep your eye on the prize to slog through but I'm kind of wondering, why do something that you don't like doing?
    I'm a little hesitant to say it given the issues you've brought up and all, but since this thread has been going on for quite a while now I'll go ahead - it sounds like playing guitar just might not be right for you - at least right now, anyway.

For me guitar playing is a pleasure - not "hard frustrating work", but rather something I do for enjoyment at the end of a day of (sometimes) hard, frustrating work - work which I'm getting paid to do, of course.

That's not to say I think it's easy - in fact I think it's endlessly challenging - but in the way that, say, playing golf is (for me), in which the challenge is an integral part of the fun.

You ask why do something you don't like doing? If guitar is a hobby for you as it is for me I'd say, well, don't - I sure wouldn't. You've been at it for at least a couple of years, don't let some notion about what it will be like to be "a guitar player" at some point in the future overshadow the reality of your experience of actually playing the guitar - it is what it is.

So maybe put it down for a while (which I've done at various times in the years I've been playing), expore some other interests, try some other hobbies - find something that you actually do find fun - if you get the itch to pick it up again in a month or a year or whenever don't worry, it'll still be there...hope this helps.
    Last edited by walternewton; 08-23-2012 at 01:52 AM.

I practice about and hour a day although I have a day or two each week where I don't bother. Only thing is I have to force myself to do it, learning guitar isn't much fun for me it seems like all hard frustrating work.
    I'm right with walter here: practising has to be enjoyable. It should never feel like work. It's recreation, an escape from work. (It should be your antidepressant!)

I still wouldn't say you should give up - not until you really can't find any way to enjoy just playing what you can, and not worrying about what you can't play (yet).
    IOW, get your eye OFF "the prize". Forget the future. Music only exists in the present, while you're hearing it (or playing it). So just enjoy what you CAN do, now. There is beauty even in a single note, a single chord.
    (You will naturally improve anyway, if you continue to practise.)

Having said all that, guitar playing (or any kind of musical activity) is not for everyone. There must be some reason why you wanted to start doing it in the first place (not everyone even thinks about that); but if it's not what you imagined - if there really is no possibility of finding any pleasure in it - then stop, find something else.
    Last edited by JonR; 08-23-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Maybe you should change the way how you practice. For ex, spending one or two hours running scales up and down, might be boring. But practicing them as a solo on top of a backing track, sounds better to me.

I was just practicing open chord changes some metronome work, going up and down the neck on powerchords playing a handful of basic songs that have elements of everything I'm practicing and struggling with a bar chord at the end for a couple of minutes.

I started doing a little less of the above and added some noodling where I just smash it out hard and fast with plenty of gain and volume.

Its made things alot more enjoyable.
    Last edited by Seppuku; 09-08-2012 at 05:45 AM.

C.W
    I practiced for 40 minutes last night.
    My fingertips are a bit softer than I thought they would be after all this time and I felt a bit sore in the body after awhile.
    I've been told by other guitarists I know that 2 hours a day is the minimum you'd want to be practicing I think I should probably just start off slow and build up to that to get my body used to it, maybe do half an hour in the morning and half an hour at night and slowly increase each.
    That's great! I'm glad you have a really supportive social worker, and they're tailoring their sessions to what you need. It'll certainly be very beneficial to you! I hope you continue to find these exercises rewarding. All the best!
    Last edited by C.W; 02-20-2013 at 11:40 PM. Reason: "their/they're" error was bugging me

Quote Originally Posted by StellaV View Post
    First of all, drop dead antidepressants! They kill negative emotions alongside with positive ones. You are an adult and strong person, you are a man after all! You can cope with depression by yourself. I've been ill for 2 years now and I know that it can't be cured. Just like you, I'm deprived of lots of conventional activities. Dammit, I can't even go outside for more than 2-3 hrs! Music is the only thing that helps me cope with depression. You have to admit that your body isn't your friend anymore and try to live normal life with it. Get back to guitar dude
    Not good advice to offer someone unless your a doctor! I have a myriad of mental health issues and if it weren't for my medication I don't know where the hell I would be. Antidepressants have changed immensely over the years!

I would say if your not passionate about playing guitar and it is giving little pleasure than quit and move on to something else. Life is too short!

It takes time, patience, passion and consistency to become proficient at playing but it may not be for you. If it were me I would quit and move on to something that I had a great passion for. I wouldn't consider myself any less because I quit.

C.W
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    Not good advice to offer someone unless your a doctor! I have a myriad of mental health issues and if it weren't for my medication I don't know where the hell I would be. Antidepressants have changed immensely over the years!
    I wasn't sure if this was some kind of joke when I read it, being the new poster that I am. But I work in mental health, and I know that some of our patients actually become worse than before they were taking meds if they stop taking them. So, ultimately, makes recovery far longer. There's usually a big rise in self harm or suicide attempts as the meds start wearing off too.

Though, it would seem, the more dicey time is as someone begins to improve on meds. When someone's rock bottom, they don't have the motivation for anything. If they begin to improve, but before they gain insight, is when they're more likely to be impulsive. Not a good point to go through again by jumping on and off the meds that are designed to help.

With anti-depressants, I rarely see any side effects. It's more the anti-psychotics that may have them but I'd consider that a necessary evil when you consider what it's treating and how, in the long run, it's improving quality of life.

Sorry... went off on a bit of a ramble there, didn't I?
    Last edited by C.W; 02-20-2013 at 11:42 PM. Reason: additional info

I was not joking I`m very serious. I take meds everyday. My made me feel better about a whole lot when I first started to take them and continue to do so. My whole quality of life changed for the better.

My guitar is the only saving grace that I have. It`s makes my rather crappy world seem a lot more happier! It gives me focus!

I am dealing with other physical issues as well! But I will not let them stand in my way of progression musically speaking.

C.W
    I was not joking I`m very serious.
    Sorry, I didn't mean your post. I meant the post you were referring to. I'm glad you find your meds help, and music doubly so.

I was referring to StellaV's post! This post made me a bit angry as no one should be spouting off to anyone about getting off of meds. `'' Your a man'', you can handle depression on your own''. That is just BS! Yes, some people can handle depression without any intervention and some of us can't.

I have a little story to tell everyone. Long story short! A upcoming drummer friend of mine had a stroke in his 40's. He was besides himself! He wouldn`t let it get in his way though. After 2 years of physio he regained the strength in his arms and went back to playing exactly how he used to. His speech is slurred at times but he didn`t give up. He wants to go pro and I think he will get there. He has a indomitable spirit!

Practice, passion + motivation = priceless

No grays about it! Black and white says it all!

If your not committed than sell your guitar and move on!

C.W
    I was referring to StellaV's post!
    I know, hon. I wasn't sure if it was some 'in joke', like he was just being sarcastic or something, which is why I didn't comment.

some people can handle depression without any intervention and some of us can't.
    Maybe do, but the odds are they are always living with it dictating how the are and what they do. I have a friend that frequently goes into slumps, cuts himself off from the world, etc. He won't accept help. I do worry sometimes that he'll go one step too far...

He has a indomitable spirit!
    He sure does! An inspiration to us all.