Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Lack of Motivation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lack of Motivation

So Last year I decided I wanted to learn how to play electric guitar bought myself an Ibanez grx40 starter kit with everything I needed.
    Was using an online course and had a friend that played that was helping me out with problem areas.

Started off light doing 15-20 minutes a day until I got my fingers calloused enough that I could play more and just slowly started adding more practice time until after a couple of months I was upto about an hour.

Unfortunately I ended up getting fairly ill, was still practicing guitar until I ended up way to sick to do much of anything spent some time in hospital and have since been diagnosed with a serious illness that requires alot of management makes me feel like crap all the time recovery may be several years or not at all.

I was really enjoying playing even though I was struggling with it, Now that I have my health relatively under control I need a new primary focus in life as I can't do alot of the other more physical things I used too, Seeing I have lots of time up my sleeve I'd really like to get back into guitar only problem is after everything thats happened I've broken down mentally had to go on antidepressants and get counselling , for some reason I don't have any enthusiasm for anything anymore even things I used to really enjoy that I can still do, I just kinda sit in a chair all day dozing or watching tv and occasionally surfing the net.

Does anyone have some good advice for me on how to break this slump and get back into guitar?

If it's the pills, not much we can do. Went through a spell with my eyes, Graves disease, total of 7 eye operations over a 4 year period, Quad by-pass thrown in just for the heck of it. Sunlight is still a problem, BUT, during that time I had a lot of inside time on my hands so I studied theory. Since you are on a theory site, that may be what will give you some purpose and something to focus on.

Print off some of the articles and plow through them. Sounds like you have the time right now. Yes ask questions here everyone will help.

The following is a start at the beginning, dirt simple step by step something I worked up that may help.
    http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11975

Good luck.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 09-26-2010 at 01:33 PM.

My social worker is setting me up to go to a mental health centre where they have beginner guitar classes, they reckon I need to start doing things to get myself out of this perpetual gloom.

Had a look at some of the theory found it quite hard to follow, Just went to a certain point on it and now keep re reading until it slowly makes more sense.
    Last edited by Seppuku; 09-28-2010 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    My social worker is setting me up to go to a mental health centre where they have beginner guitar classes, they reckon I need to start doing things to get myself out of this perpetual gloom.
    Had a look at some of the theory found it quite hard to follow, Just went to a certain point on it and now keep re reading until it slowly makes more sense.
    Well your not alone, because the truth is most people find music theory hard to understand from books (or from bad verbal explanations).

There are various reasons why it’s hard to understand.

One reason is that music theory itself is a mess. There are lots of strange words, and lots of different names for what seems like almost the same thing ... eg modes are like scales, but err...not quite. And what is a “key” ... needs a long tangled explanation, etc. etc.

So that’s just a mess at the heart of music theory itself ... it’s not logically worked out and consistent like maths or science.

Second problem is that in books, the theory explanations are often very badly written. As if the author never took any trouble to think whether his/her words would make clear sense to most readers.

To be honest, I found that many books were so badly written that it seemed like I really needed to understand the theory before I tried to read the book explanation! ... otherwise the book explanation was just mumbo-jumbo (usually because the author had assumed all sorts of vital things without ever bothering to explain them).

OK, so the point of all that is just to say - I want to encourage you to stick at it, to realise that most of us find music theory just as confusing and difficult as you, and ... never give up (because it will work in the end ... but you need to stick at it like glue).

Keep us in touch with how it's going, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post

Like Ian says, don't worry if it doesn't make sense. Understanding it won't really help you play guitar - IMO. You may find some things click once you start playing again, but it's often the sounds that make sense of the theory, rather than the other way round. (Even tho it's supposed to be the other way round!)
    In any case, it's the sounds that matter! Playing guitar is great therapy for all kinds of things, because it's an alternative way of expressing yourself (even if you only do it for yourself and no one else). Even as a beginner (or as someone coming back to it), you can make beautiful sounds with very little effort. The trick is not to aim too high - to listen to every note you play, and how it relates to those either side of it - either in a tune or in a chord.
    Think of it like learning to walk again after a bad accident. You don't expect to run a mile straightaway - for a while you just enjoy the activity of placing one foot in front of the other; each step is a little triumph. Great music always has simplicity at its heart.
    And learning with others is great too - playing music together can be a way of communicating with others without any pressure to "make sense"!

Hi Seppuku

...I don't have any enthusiasm for anything anymore even things I used to really enjoy that I can still do, I just kinda sit in a chair all day dozing or watching tv and occasionally surfing the net.
    It seems from your post that you are under a big depression. If that's the case, guitar difficulties or musical theory difficulties are not the cause. I'm sure, once you feel more upbeat you'll find that you never stopped loving guitar playing.

Well had my first lesson today.
    I was a little out of my comfort zone seeing I've been housebound for so long, but I found it enjoyable nonetheless, used an accoustic guitar today.

Learned B7 chord and got retaught C apparently the one I'd learned was the lazy version.
    Have those to focus on and patterns G-A-D-A-G and E-A-B7-A-E to practice alot until next thursday.

The guy teaching me is a social worker who's played guitar for along time and has taught quite a few people at the centre.

Now I just have to make myself practice every day.
    Last edited by Seppuku; 09-30-2010 at 06:29 AM.