Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Jason Becker Altitudes (proper way to play arpeggios)

Jason Becker Altitudes (proper way to play arpeggios)

Ok so first off I want to say that I am not looking for people to tell me to play it my own way, or the way i am comfortable with. The reason I play other musicians music is to learn from them and do it their way.

Now thats out of the way, I was hoping we could get some discussion on the proper way of playing the altitudes arpeggios. I'll use the first arpeggio for example.

These are the three ways I have seen it played, the last one listed here is from the official tab book, though official tab books are often not very accurate. Does anybody know Beckers playing inside out?

Code:
    -12-7-----7---12-7-----7---12-7-------------7--------------------------------
    -----8--8---------8--8---------8-----------8---------------------------------
    -------9------------9-----------9---------9----------------------------------
    ---------------------------------9-------9-----------------------------------
    ----------------------------------10-7-10------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code:
    |
    --12p7-------7-12p7-------7-12p7-----------------3-7---|
    |-------8---8--------8---8--------8-------------5-------|
    |---------9------------9------------9/4-------4---------|
    |---------------------------------------5---5-----------|
    |-----------------------------------------7-------------|
    |-------------------------------------------------------|
    Code:
    -12-7-----7---12-7-----7---12-7-------------7--------------------------------
    -----8--8---------8--8---------8-----------8---------------------------------
    -------9------------9-----------9---------9----------------------------------
    ---------------------------------9p5----5p9-----------------------------------
    --------------------------------------7---------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

He most definitely used the first one.

That being said, it doesn't matter. If you like the sound of sliding in the middle of it, then do the second one. The overall tonality hardly changes, so just do what you feel is most comfortable. Technique-wise, it'll all become second-nature within a few years anyways.

thanks for the reply Jan, how do you know that he used the first one? To me it really sounds like there is something more going on that.

I've played through the song several times, and I've always used that inversion every time that minor arpeggio is being played. He didn't really slide much when he did fast arpeggio runs, and those basic triad arpeggios are what he seemed to use the most.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jan View Post
    I've played through the song several times, and I've always used that inversion every time that minor arpeggio is being played. He didn't really slide much when he did fast arpeggio runs, and those basic triad arpeggios are what he seemed to use the most.
    That does seem to be very significant evidence to justify a conclusion with. I decide to check out the recording on my studio monitors, and with a close listen you can clearly hear a slide in the lick. I could even slow the recording down to get a better listen.

He used the second one. He uses odd shapes all the time. the is spot on the way Jason played.