Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Stratus - Billy Cobham Analysis

Stratus - Billy Cobham Analysis

Hi, what is going on interms of improvisation in the song stratus by cobham,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYH4PC710ac

Not much to say, Cm vamp. Im hearing some maj7s in there which would suggest use of the c jazz minor scale. Otherwise its pretty vanila, dorian, flavoured to me. Based on the first two minutes I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by drumdead10000 View Post
    Hi, what is going on interms of improvisation in the song stratus by cobham,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYH4PC710ac
    In terns of note/scale choice - if that's what you mean - it's pretty much all C blues scale. The bass riff is solid C minor pent throughout.
    At around the 2:30 mark the keyboard plays some "outside" chromatic chords to liven things up a bit, but the guitar is still C blues scale.

Something interesting happens around 4:00: the synth (sounding a little like a guitar to begin with, but I think it's pretty clearly a synth) starts playing in Eb minor pent.
    Between 4:07 and 4:20, he's just riffing in Eb minor pent, over the C minor pent bass riff. This means you're hearing a b6 note and a b9, as well as a b5, against the C keynote.
    By 4:26, he's back in C minor pent (more or less), but then introduces an E natural into the mix (suggesting C mixolydian). He clearly means this - or else he's capitalising on a mistake! - because he plays a long E natural at 4:30, before moving it down to Eb - and then does it again. (This solo finishes on an Eb note at 4:40).
    I didn't listen beyond there.

PS: I didnt hear any of the maj7s JazzMick mentions, nor any dorian 6ths.

EDIT: Correction! There are dorian 6ths and 9ths in the keyboard chords at the beginning (around 0:20 and again at 0:30). The riffs and soloing are pretty much all C minor pent tho (with bluesy bends).
    Last edited by JonR; 06-23-2010 at 12:29 PM.