Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: A Go Go John Scofield Album Theory Analysis

A Go Go John Scofield Album Theory Analysis

A Go Go John Scofield Album Theory Analysis

Please if you know anything in terms of music theory about the John Scofield album a go go please explain here particularly the song a go go. (great song by the way) =]

Thanks
    Sean

The main section is B dorian mode - Bm7 chord, with occasional E7. The melody is all B minor pent, with occasional bluesy bends.
    The bridge chord riff (beginning 2:28 in the video below) is G minor pent, seemingly played as power chords (G, F and Bb roots).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWc99ZeG6w8
    There is a brief chromatic chord riff (A-G#-A-G#-A-G#-A-A#) before the guitar solo, but this isn't any kind of key change, it just makes a nice punctuation to mark the boundary between head and solo.

a go go

Quote Originally Posted by JonR View Post
    The main section is B dorian mode - Bm7 chord, with occasional E7. The melody is all B minor pent, with occasional bluesy bends.
    The bridge chord riff (beginning 2:28 in the video below) is G minor pent, seemingly played as power chords (G, F and Bb roots).
    There is a brief chromatic chord riff (A-G#-A-G#-A-G#-A-A#) before the guitar solo, but this isn't any kind of key change, it just makes a nice punctuation to mark the boundary between head and solo.
    cool thanks good stuff

what scales/arpeggios is he using to solo?

The main section is B dorian mode - Bm7 guitar chords, with occasional E7. The melody is all B minor pent, with occasional bluesy bends.
    Hey cool. You can't seem to see any analysis that is done in this album by John Scofield drumdead.
    Last edited by ndrewoods; 08-29-2011 at 09:59 AM.

For those who are interested in Scofield music he has a lot of sheet music on his website. Cool to play from the masters own sheets

E.g.
    http://www.johnscofield.com/sheetmusic/agogo.pdf

Jeep on 35

I've got most of Jeep On 35 down, but he does this chord progression at 1:26 and the same progression again at 1:44. I come close to approximating it, but can't get it exactly.
    .. Anyone got a clue?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMrJ View Post
    I've got most of Jeep On 35 down, but he does this chord progression at 1:26 and the same progression again at 1:44. I come close to approximating it, but can't get it exactly.
    .. Anyone got a clue?
    As I suspect you may have got already, it's essentially Fmaj7 Gm7 Am7 Bbmaj7. But there's higher extensions on most of those: #11 on both maj7s, I think (certainly the Bb), 9ths on probably all except the Am*, which I think has an 11th.
    IMO you can do without these, although the #11 on F is interesting as it's out of key. It's like a Em triad on top of an F triad, basically.
    There's obviously a lot of overlap between the chords, and it sounds like the organ holds the Am11 (certainly most of it) while the bass goes up to Bb. That will of course produce a "Bbmaj13#11" sound.

* My Transcribe software shows a B peak on the Am chord, but I think that's a rogue signal, maybe a harmonic of the E.

[QUOTE=JonR;148475]As I suspect you may have got already, it's essentially Fmaj7 Gm7 Am7 Bbmaj7. But there's higher extensions on most of those: #11 on both maj7s, I think (certainly the Bb), 9ths on probably all except the Am*, which I think has an 11th.
    IMO you can do without these, although the #11 on F is interesting as it's out of key. It's like a Em triad on top of an F triad, basically.
    There's obviously a lot of overlap between the chords, and it sounds like the organ holds the Am11 (certainly most of it) while the bass goes up to Bb. That will of course produce a "Bbmaj13#11" sound.

Thanks for that. The whole album lends itself to improve, but I wanted to keep that lick true. I only apply the extensions on the second pass, or rather, accent them more, since I'm basically using the same fingerings.