Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First guitar solo!

First guitar solo!

hello guitar nerds...kindly review the guitar solo that you can download at the following link.. http://filekeeper.org/download/shared/untitled1.mp3. it's the initial draft but if you guys think that it has got potential i can get the courage to start writing solos for my band. Right click and save as the file on the download page.

Unsuccessful playback of the mp3 in VLC Media Player, Windows Media Player, Winamp and RealPlayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple-Joe View Post
    Unsuccessful playback of the mp3 in VLC Media Player, Windows Media Player, Winamp and RealPlayer.
    Hosted file in new link: http://mp3upload.ca/files/24050/untitled
    hope it will work now.

ya it was pretty cool, i like how it was original. you messed up a few parts though. clearly you used alot of modal changing and stuff like that.

imo solos should never be written though. that kind of kills the point in my book.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by innerspace View Post
    Hosted file in new link: http://mp3upload.ca/files/24050/untitled
    hope it will work now.
    Very well played I would say, and quite a bit of variation in scales etc to make it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerpikingood View Post
    you messed up a few parts though.
    I didn't hear anything that was messed up?

imo solos should never be written though. that kind of kills the point in my book.
    Oh? Really? I find written guitar solos to be appropriate in the right tunes. I'd never play anything but the original written solo on "Comfortable numb" etc.
    Last edited by gersdal; 02-15-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gersdal View Post
    I find written guitar solos to be appropriate in the right tunes. I'd never play anything but the original written solo on "Comfortable numb" etc.
    Really? Both solos?
    I kind of agree about the first solo - distinctively melodic, practically part of the composition - but not about the final long one, which is basically all B minor pent. I might go for the same mood, but not the same phrases.
    Even the first one, I wouldn't be too precise about it. I would aim for his phrases, his note choices, but slight variations are OK, IMO.

I do agree with your general point: some rock solos are tantamount to sections of the composition. Well recognised, and expected by listeners. Improvisation, as such, is not that important in rock generally: way down the list of things that matter.
    At the same time, if I'm playing a cover of a famous song, with a famous solo, I'm not going to learn any of it beyond the most familiar phrases that stand out - eg, typically an opening phrase - or anything else that sounds (to me) specially written, rather than just jammed by the original player. If the audience doesn't like me improvising the rest - tough! (If I was playing in a tribute band it would be different... or if I happened to really love the original solo, and it wasn't too hard to copy.)

Quote Originally Posted by JonR View Post
    Really? Both solos?
    I was thinking about the first one

I kind of agree about the first solo - distinctively melodic, practically part of the composition - but not about the final long one, which is basically all B minor pent. I might go for the same mood, but not the same phrases. Even the first one, I wouldn't be too precise about it. I would aim for his phrases, his note choices, but slight variations are OK, IMO.
    Yes, I agree, but my point is still..

I do agree with your general point: some rock solos are tantamount to sections of the composition. Well recognised, and expected by listeners.
    Exactly, that was my point

I was thinking about the first one
    Glad we cleared that up.

Very well played I would say, and quite a bit of variation in scales etc to make it interesting.

Oh? Really? I find written guitar solos to be appropriate in the right tunes. I'd never play anything but the original written solo on "Comfortable numb" etc.
    there are mistakes in it, some parts are off tempo.

that's why i said imo. to me, a solo is an improv, that's the beauty of it. a written solo kind of takes all of that away. the beauty of a sol in my eyes is the moment, the improve of it. write one down and the beauty is gone. it can sound good. be a good melody, sure. but it is not a solo to me. not in a soulful sense. there is no other word to distinguish a written solo and a improvised one, but one is to me like bust implants, and the other the real thing.

it can be a preference thing. sure a written solo can be beautiful. and artists can sing songs they didn't write or anything also, songs where the lyrics mean nothing to them. to me, this is not art. not real music in the artistic way, just entertainment. solos when written rather than improvised are this way to me. not a real solo.

i don't care what the audience thinks if i'm playing what they expect from the original. i also don't really care to play other peoples' originals though at the same time. i do like to play songs others have written sometimes as a tribute if i really like the tune. but i have no problem with playing around with them and not sticking to anything solo of them.

and honestly if people don't like that, they they can just not come and listen to me, or they are just wanting to hear the CD, i wish to make music and produce music and make it as art, not be a live CD player. so to me, i would only stick to any solo i've ever heard as much as i feel like in that particular moment. it could be a little or it could be nothing at all. it certainly won't be alot, because my soloing, my music in general, is pure honesty, and i am not the artist that wrote the song, or performed it before, so my honesty will necessarily be quite different from whatever they made. but don't worry, whatever i'll replace it with will be good. different but good.

some covers people have done become more famous than the originals.
    Last edited by fingerpikingood; 02-16-2010 at 04:06 PM.

that's why i said imo. to me, a solo is an improv, that's the beauty of it. a written solo kind of takes all of that away. the beauty of a sol in my eyes is the moment, the improve of it. write one down and the beauty is gone. it can sound good. be a good melody, sure. but it is not a solo to me. not in a soulful sense. there is no other word to distinguish a written solo and a improvised one, but one is to me like bust implants, and the other the real thing.

it can be a preference thing. sure a written solo can be beautiful. and artists can sing songs they didn't write or anything also, songs where the lyrics mean nothing to them. to me, this is not art. not real music in the artistic way, just entertainment. solos when written rather than improvised are this way to me. not a real solo.

i don't care what the audience thinks if i'm playing what they expect from the original. i also don't really care to play other peoples' originals though at the same time. i do like to play songs others have written sometimes as a tribute if i really like the tune. but i have no problem with playing around with them and not sticking to anything solo of them.

and honestly if people don't like that, they they can just not come and listen to me, or they are just wanting to hear the CD, i wish to make music and produce music and make it as art, not be a live CD player. so to me, i would only stick to any solo i've ever heard as much as i feel like in that particular moment. it could be a little or it could be nothing at all. it certainly won't be alot, because my soloing, my music in general, is pure honesty, and i am not the artist that wrote the song, or performed it before, so my honesty will necessarily be quite different from whatever they made. but don't worry, whatever i'll replace it with will be good. different but good.

some covers people have done become more famous than the originals.
    Very well, but I wouldn't criticize others for doing it differently.

there are mistakes in it, some parts are off tempo.
    If you say so There's a great intensity to the solo that I like, and I don't think this was meant for cd release. Hence I did not evaluate it as if it was. As a "Show and tell" here at IBM I'd say it is very good.

Noticable pinch harmonics that spice up the sound. The atmosphere seems to be based on a mix of blues and harmonic minor, maybe even phrygian. The playing is quite technical as I interpret it, impressive speed. A negative factor is the lack of vibrato. I also sense a muddy tendency here and there, but I don't know whether it is because of the playing approach or sound settings (high bass, mids - low treble? Don't know, but if that's the case, it explains the somewhat unclear sound. If not, it is probably playing related).

Anyway, I liked the mood, and I am quite impressed by the technical skills, I'm inspired by the speed level of some sequences.

If you say so There's a great intensity to the solo that I like, and I don't think this was meant for cd release. Hence I did not evaluate it as if it was. As a "Show and tell" here at IBM I'd say it is very good.
    well even if i dont' say so, but ya, sure i didn't say it wasn't good, or that it was meant for cd release. but there are off tempo spots. it's good use of modes too like i said and some physically challenging parts that were well executed. i didn't mean to say the timing was all off or horrible or anything. but at some parts it's a little off.

Very well, but I wouldn't criticize others for doing it differently.
    this is what i said.

ya it was pretty cool, i like how it was original. you messed up a few parts though. clearly you used alot of modal changing and stuff like that.

not criticizing, just sharing my opinion. that's my point of view. that's all. he doesn't need to share it with me or listen to it, or even care about it.

just saying that to me, a solo should be unwritten. a freestyle. to me, that is the beast, and that is the beauty of it.