Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: catholics-guitarplayers- hatred

I am amazed at the uniformed opinions in this string.

Muslims do not hate music. Catholics do not hate music. The OP has lumped all into one category, which is never a good thing to do.

I dislike off color, rude and vulgar music. Because I say that does not make all Texan dislike off color, rude and vulgar music. Drop in on any Texas honk-a-tonk on a Wednesday night and that rumor will be dispelled.

When there is not a separation between church and state often the state decides what is good and what is bad. Which raises the question who within the state decides what is off color...... which leads to ...... better to ban all Western music than hope we can control which comes in and which stays out. Who felt this way? The state. Not all the people within that country. If you must place blame place it with the specific state that banned the music.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 10-12-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

in laws

My father-in-law thinks that it has to be an organ for church music, no guitars, no piano, no drums, no fun.

He is NOT catholic but whats the difference, anyone that is hung up on this stuff is unfortunately missing out on things by their own choice.

Nuff.

I'm a practicing Catholic, and if you knew any people who detested music and HAPPENED to be Catholic, I feel bad for them... they're missing out.

I play in a Praise and Worship band at my church (drums, bass, guitar, the whole bit), and we're pretty decent. I could see them maybe disliking it if it's in bad taste. For example, as a lead guitarist, I really have to hold back from what might FEEL like a good place to just tear it to pieces with a dirty little blues riff, but that's not what I'm supposed to do there. That's not why I play with them.

And some music has a message contrary to Catholic beliefs, such as sleeping around, drugs, alcohol... the "rocker life style". I'm sure they dislike the message conveyed in that sort of thing.

Hahah, as gersdal said: music has been a big part of our history for a very long time... most Catholics love music. I know I do :-)

BTW... first time posting to the forum... hope I follows all the rules of forum etiquette, hahah.

Divine Foundling
    Just a tid-bit: In his day, JS Bach, because of his use of the tritone, was said by religious "authorities" of his day to either be a devil or to be in league with the devil. But, we must remember that Bach was in good company: Even Jesus Christ was accused of being in league with the devil in His day, too.

Divine Foundling
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyd929 View Post
    My father-in-law thinks that it has to be an organ for church music, no guitars, no piano, no drums, no fun.

He is NOT catholic but whats the difference, anyone that is hung up on this stuff is unfortunately missing out on things by their own choice.

Nuff.
    Unfortunately, there is such a thing as errant dogma.

I'm gonna find it really hard to hate anybody who's not a criminal, thug,
    racist, nazi, communist, satanist, pedophile, rapist, murderer, or terrorist.
    Or worse... a celebrity. Hahaha

That's who I am. Deal with it.
    Last edited by Chim_Chim; 01-25-2012 at 02:24 AM.
    Some days I seem to do OK. Other days I feel like just shoving an M-80 right up my guitar's butt.

what I meant is that I found that they use music as a tool to praise God and only this instrumental motivation drives them into singing. I remember talking to one person some timne ago. She asked me why I sang non religious music. I said I love music no matter if it is related to religion or not. She said that her attitude was better because she sang to praise the Lord and she said she didn't care about regular music. I find this strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Boleros View Post
    This is very untrue. I have never heard of any religeon that hated music. There are a lot of Catholics here and they do enjoy music. I would have to say that the guitar is the favorite instrument as well. I have been to many churches, Catholic as we'll as others, and music is the best part of the ceremonies. There is usually at least a guitar. Catholics love to sing, from what I have seen.