Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: catholics-guitarplayers- hatred

catholics-guitarplayers- hatred

hi guys

I would like to ask you for opinions or something. Long time ago I noticed that many catholics detest music and simultaneously guitarplayers. I wonder in what ways music gets in a way with catholics business? Can you help me to find the answer to this question? In Iran music is forbidden for instance. Well, there is islam in there and I don't know the doctrine of this religion but again, their thinking is that music is in opposition to their religious business. I have troubles to understand this whole thing. In what ways music clashes with religious people's businesses?

when I say business I don't mean money and stuff but rather things people want to do.

I think you'll find that every religion has religious songs.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerpikingood View Post
    I think you'll find that every religion has religious songs.
    do you mean that religious people accept only religious music and ignore or detest non-religious music?

Quote Originally Posted by rafapak View Post
    I would like to ask you for opinions or something. Long time ago I noticed that many catholics detest music and simultaneously guitarplayers. I wonder in what ways music gets in a way with catholics business?
    I don't know, but my opinion is that most religious societies are changing. When I was 12 I was probably the first one to play an electric guitar in my local church (mind you this is MANY years ago ). I didn't see any old-timers with their fingers in their ears, but I'm later told that there were a few. These days anything like that would be totally ridicules. That is Norway, but I'm sure things are quite different other places. African and Afro-American have been very different for a long time, with music in a very different form being the norm.

To my knowledge I would say:
    1 - Catholics do not detest music!!!! In fact they have been an important arena for music the last 2000 years.
    2 - I don't think you will see a concert with Stevie Vai in the Vatican, but I wouldn't count it out.
    3 - Churches are different within one country and between the continents. You can't generalize like you indicate.

Can you help me to find the answer to this question? In Iran music is forbidden for instance.
    I didn't know that. You're from Iran?

Well, there is islam in there and I don't know the doctrine of this religion but again, their thinking is that music is in opposition to their religious business. I have troubles to understand this whole thing. In what ways music clashes with religious people's businesses?
    I do not think it is a clash between music and religion. Funny people with strange ideas seems to often get to high positions in counties and religions. These ideas that they have sometimes include things like "music is sin" and things like that. IMHO this is all just very sad.

G

PS My religious view is "Music is the healing force of the universe"!!!!
    Last edited by gersdal; 02-04-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Are you referring to the Tritone? Thats the only thing i can think of as being unacceptable at one time, not sure if it was just to catholics though, i read recently while reading about the blues that the tritone was said to be the Devil (Something on them lines) ie Robert Johnson crossroads. Ididnt experience any hatred for music and i spent my evenings after school in a local convent (We sang hymns and songs with the sisters(nuns) who played piano and Guitar and were all Irish!.My senior school was run by Priests who encouraged singing and Music also.

I am happy to learn that people have different experiences when compared to mine. I am not from iran but read somewhere about guy called armik or sth. He escaped from iran to the states because he wanted to play music which is forbidden to do in Iran. By the way, I laughed when I read that music could be some kind of sin for some people. I want to be as sinful as possible till the end of my life. I didn't know before that I am that bad.

I am happy to learn that people have different experiences when compared to mine.
    It's sad if your guitar playing is restricted by anything like that. I'm not sure I have any advice. I turned into a rebellion those days. It had some good sides, and quite a few downsides.

I am not from iran but read somewhere about guy called armik or sth. He escaped from iran to the states because he wanted to play music which is forbidden to do in Iran.
    A quick google search indicated a lot of guitarists from Iran, and a guitar-tab site for Iranian music. They could all be rebells, but I guess I'd rather second guess your story

By the way, I laughed when I read that music could be some kind of sin for some people. I want to be as sinful as possible till the end of my life. I didn't know before that I am that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by gersdal View Post
    It's sad if your guitar playing is restricted by anything like that. I'm not sure I have any advice. I turned into a rebellion those days. It had some good sides, and quite a few downsides.

A quick google search indicated a lot of guitarists from Iran, and a guitar-tab site for Iranian music. They could all be rebells, but I guess I'd rather second guess your story

I met a guitarist in Bulgaria 2 years ago, he was adamant (no not Adam Ant ) that the people in Bulgaria up until recently, had the music controlled by the government. It is only recently that the youths and adults over there are able to listen to what they want. Previously it was as he said "brainwashing gingling noises"! Whether it was to do with religeon idk.

Quote Originally Posted by BONZZ View Post
    I met a guitarist in Bulgaria 2 years ago, he was adamant (no not Adam Ant ) that the people in Bulgaria up until recently, had the music controlled by the government. It is only recently that the youths and adults over there are able to listen to what they want. Previously it was as he said "brainwashing gingling noises"! Whether it was to do with religeon idk.
    Some of the most popular soviet-era rock music originated from Bulgaria. They had a thriving prog scene in the 70s. Everyone in the soviet union used to listen to Bulgarian prog. (I'm not joking here, I am Ukranian by birth)

What are you babbling about? :P
    Last edited by bluesking; 02-04-2010 at 04:26 PM.
    "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar"

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BONZZ View Post
    Strange. Every hotel bar in Norway used to have a Bulgarian pop band. Very good musicians, but awfull music .. not their fault, tho. I'm sure the hotel managers was the ones without musical taste

Quote Originally Posted by bluesking View Post
    Some of the most popular soviet-era rock music originated from Bulgaria. They had a thriving prog scene in the 70s. Everyone in the soviet union used to listen to Bulgarian prog. (I'm not joking here, I am Ukranian by birth)

What are you babbling about? :P
    seems i met a Bulgarian ( Slavi he said his name was) maybe he was in some way dishonest. I really have no idea.He complained about his equiptment also, though i did buy a cd from him. I have to admit he was a nice bloke maybe hed had too much to drink.

no, I think saying religious people odn't like music is too much of a generalization. i'm sure many different religions are filled with many differenttypes of religious people that like or dislike many different kinds of music.

just like non-religious people.

for the controlled music thing, it's still like that in china i think. i oculd be wrong about that though. but it's not like the government is writing or selling songs. but they will check you out, and if you are making music they don't agree with they'll cut you off.

so young people can make young person music, but they can write songs about any topic they want. the government doesn't want any john lennon's floating around the air waves.

I think it's the Muslims that detest music.

Iran Bans Music

Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said today that music is "not compatible" with the values of the Islamic republic, and should not be practised or taught in the country.

In some of the most extreme comments by a senior regime figure since the 1979 revolution, Khamenei said: "Although music is halal, promoting and teaching it is not compatible with the highest values of the sacred regime of the Islamic Republic."
    man, that place is whack.

hi guys

I would like to ask you for opinions or something. Long time ago I noticed that many catholics detest music and simultaneously guitarplayers. I wonder in what ways music gets in a way with catholics business? Can you help me to find the answer to this question? In Iran music is forbidden for instance. Well, there is islam in there and I don't know the doctrine of this religion but again, their thinking is that music is in opposition to their religious business. I have troubles to understand this whole thing. In what ways music clashes with religious people's businesses?

when I say business I don't mean money and stuff but rather things people want to do.

This is very untrue. I have never heard of any religeon that hated music. There are a lot of Catholics here and they do enjoy music. I would have to say that the guitar is the favorite instrument as well. I have been to many churches, Catholic as we'll as others, and music is the best part of the ceremonies. There is usually at least a guitar. Catholics love to sing, from what I have seen.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!