Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Here's the idea:Song Analysis Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mod

Here's the idea:Song Analysis Thread

Fingerpickingood wrote:
    "what i'd like to get going is analysis of specific songs, where we could all learn tunes and talk about them and share ideas about them. and ask questions about them.

we don't even need to change much, we could just have say a different person every so often starts a poll thread with names of tunes and youtube links for them. we could have a signup thread where people signup and first come first serve is the order we go in for creating the poll threads. then everyone votes in the poll thread for some set time period. the winner with the most votes is the tune we look at and we start a thread of that tune. then after some set time period the next person in the signup list creates the next poll thread."

If you guys like the idea and I see enough suggestions I will sticky this thread.

Feel free to discuss and suggest.

so the idea is..the winning song, people learn and discuss and etc? I'm not sure what the idea is here

the idea is just to have a song, like a song a week, or a song every however long, the same song, that people can learn, and freestyle over, and practice with, and whatever, analyze it from chord structure to some cool passages in it someone plays that people like, you know, whatever.

but then it's like, well how do you get people on the same page and choose songs, so that everybody can benifit from this from songs they like, while still learning other styles they might not be used to, and getting a bunch of songs under their belt.

and that's where the voting system i described comes in. I mean, one guy can come in and mention a song, and get some help for it, but it's not quite the same as having multiple people checking it out for its sake and in the knowledge that at some point they will choose some tunes and get similar help with one of them.

we got different people with different styles that have read different books and have different things to bring to the table, we can even play solos over the tune, or its progression, make suggestions on other peoples' solos for it, and get ideas from what others have played.

it's not all that different from just making a thread on your own about a tune, and yet it is.

just like drawing a line down the middle of a road is not all that different from just a road, except it allows us to drive nearly head on at 100km/hr and feel completely safe.

it's just structure.

sounds like a good idea to me

Yes, would be interesting. On a keyboard forum I check in with Autumn Leaves has been running for years. Some song examples live on and some end up not being that interesting and die a natural death in a week.

I vote yes.

Mod
    well, lets get some suggestions of tunes that will be good and I will get a poll going after we get a good list. Eventually if it takes off enough, we have a jazz one going, a instrumental rock one going, classical one going, etc etc. But lets just get some ideas for now.

My first instinct is,

cry me a river

Joe Pass and Ella Fitzgerald's version

OK,

I've created 2 topics to get us going. Please sticky them and if you can, transfer any posts related to "Cry Me a River" to the appropriate post.
    "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar"

Hidden Content