Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Need help with a song!!

Need help with a song!!

Hey guys, I'm writing a song and it goes a little like this...

The / means the next chord and these chords are kind of arpeggiated

D-/D-6/D-5#?(is that a chord? Its got an A#)
    Then heres the trouble...

I have it go to an A-/A-6/A-9 but it just doesn't sound right to me... Any ideas?

PS I wrote this like a few minutes ago so I haven't had time to perfect it

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeman9412@gma View Post
    Yes it's a chord:
    D aug
    a.k.a.: D+, D+5, D(#5)
    intervals: 1,3,#5
    notes: D,F#,A#
    Then heres the trouble... I have it go to an A-/A-6/A-9 but it just doesn't sound right to me... Any ideas?
    Well D to A not a problem if you keep going, but you can not stop there. Suggest you forget about all the different D's and A's and concentrate on a progression that moves from rest (I {D}) to Tension (IV {G}) to Climax (V7{A7}) and returns to rest (I{D}). And Then - add the color and flavor (A-/A-6/A-9). Going from D to A and just hanging there your progression is begging to resolve. Fix that problem first and then add all the color you want.

Recapping; First things first, structure and order then color and flavor.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 01-02-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Hey guys, I'm writing a song and it goes a little like this...

The / means the next chord and these chords are kind of arpeggiated

Then heres the trouble...

I have it go to an A-/A-6/A-9 but it just doesn't sound right to me... Any ideas?

PS I wrote this like a few minutes ago so I haven't had time to perfect it
    Hold on - you are using "-"; this is jazz shorthand for minor. Do you mean minor chords? If not, don't use "-".

D D6 Daug = major chords
    D- D-6 D-(#5) = minor chords (better written as Dm Dm6 Dm(#5).)

A Dm chord with a #5 would be an inversion of Bb major: D-F-A# = D-F-Bb = Bb in 1st inversion.

Oh ya I meant minor, I've seen it write D- etc but anyway ya I mean Dm6 and so on...

JonR... I have a question, So I found that chord (Dm (#5) just by accident so how would I know that its an inversion? Is there a handy way to figure that out or is it just look at the notes and put them in different orders? and also this is off topic but is there a chord that has 1,3,b5? I probably already know the answer but I forget if there is a technical name for that?

Hey Malcolm

So the idea I had is that I would play the d chords like arpegiate them and then add in the first 6th and then the #5 like desending from 6 to 5#

then I would move to the a progression and do the same kind of thing and then back to the d and then I was trying to think of a way to change it up

any ideas??

Oh ya I meant minor, I've seen it write D- etc but anyway ya I mean Dm6 and so on...

JonR... I have a question, So I found that chord (Dm (#5) just by accident so how would I know that its an inversion? Is there a handy way to figure that out or is it just look at the notes and put them in different orders?
    That's the easiest way.
    Although with a minor with a raised 5th it's a simple rule: that raised 5th becomes the root of the new chord. (Just check the enharmonics - normally it's better to think of the #5 as a b6, which gives a better clue.)
    and also this is off topic but is there a chord that has 1,3,b5? I probably already know the answer but I forget if there is a technical name for that?
    Strictly speaking, no. The implication is there is a 4 between the 3 and b5 - so ask yourself what kind of scale has a major 3rd, 4th and b5? all a half-step apart?
    However, it's common in jazz to get 7b5 chords (1-3-b5-b7), as part of the altered dominant series. Jazz musicians normally regard the b5 as a #4 (and include either a P5 or #5 in the scale), but it still gets called "7b5" to prevent confusion with "7#4", which is a lydian dominant chord (better written as 7#11).
    Altered scale = 1 b2 #2 3 #4(or b5) #5 (or b6) b7
    Lydian dominant = 1-2-3-#4-5-6-b7

7b5 chords could also take the wholetone scale: 1-2-3-#4-#5-b7 (which could be written 1-2-3-b5-b6-b7, there's only 6 notes).

You can also have lydian chords which include 1-3-#4, but also with a P5 (and maj7).
    Last edited by JonR; 01-03-2010 at 04:55 PM.