Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Advice on Impro/Solos!?!

Advice on Impro/Solos!?!

Hey guys, I was soloing/improvising on stairway to heaven (The live version) it goes on for like 4 minutes, but anyway, My solos are well kind of boring IMO lol I mean I think there good but when I have a 4 minute solo for me they get a little old, Any techniques or things that will help me get better or make them more interesting?! Thanks!

I'd like to give you advice, except, my advice for such a vague description will always be the same.

practice the key scale and change it up. try different rhythms and stuff.

the way i approach every song is exactly the same way. so what song you're trying to play, for me, in terms of giving you advice, won't change a thing at all.

of course you will need to play differently for different songs. mostly rhythmically, but also the order you play the key scale notes will be different because the chords are different in different tunes and sometimes you need to go out of scale for out of scale chords.

but perhaps if i heard you play, or if you had more precise reasons why you think that just the key scale is not working for you, then maybe i could be more helpful.

but as it is, my only advice can be to go nuts. stick to the key scale and keep good rhythm, not necessarily the same rhythm as the tune but play with your rhythm, and then try all sorts of notes within the key scale. try them arpeggiated, and not.

if your soloing is sounding boring then it is likely one of two reasons why. one, you are sticking to notes you know, in an order you know works, and repeating alot of the same in that way. and/or two you're not being rhythmically interesting.

now i could tell you about a zillion different ways you could do those things differently.

but what you need to do, is to know those things for yourself.

I could tell you which ingredients to use, but if you want to make your own recipe you need to know what they taste like.

so just go out and taste them.

don't try to play well necessarily at first. try to play rhythm well for sure.

but for notes do alot of trial and error. then you'll find stuff you like that isn't boring because you didn't do it on purpose.

there are only 7 notes in the key scale. play them all. try them all.

alot of the rest will need to come with lots and lots of practice. i can't just say something to you that will make you good. you need to practice songs, practice solos, practice all sorts of things. learn sounds for yourself and then over time you will become more and more interesting in your solos.

I could be more specific which is sometimes helpful as one of those little steps along the way for a little direction. but i need something specific to work with.

something general like you asked requires, from me, a general answer.

i think it's also important to remember how much importance rhythm has.

one thing you could do is instead of trying to find more notes and different notes to play. stick to fewer notes and try to make them interesting.

this is a great exercise. find 3 or 4 notes that work with the tune and just practice the rhythm on those.

you didn't go straight to the unicylce when you learned to ride a bike, you started with training wheels.

it's best to begin mastering few things and then increase them and build upon them. if you go all crazy and get a whole bunch at once, then you master nothing and are always lost.

I'd like to give you advice, except, my advice for such a vague description will always be the same.

practice the key scale and change it up. try different rhythms and stuff.

the way i approach every song is exactly the same way. so what song you're trying to play, for me, in terms of giving you advice, won't change a thing at all.

of course you will need to play differently for different songs. mostly rhythmically, but also the order you play the key scale notes will be different because the chords are different in different tunes and sometimes you need to go out of scale for out of scale chords.

but perhaps if i heard you play, or if you had more precise reasons why you think that just the key scale is not working for you, then maybe i could be more helpful.

but as it is, my only advice can be to go nuts. stick to the key scale and keep good rhythm, not necessarily the same rhythm as the tune but play with your rhythm, and then try all sorts of notes within the key scale. try them arpeggiated, and not.

if your soloing is sounding boring then it is likely one of two reasons why. one, you are sticking to notes you know, in an order you know works, and repeating alot of the same in that way. and/or two you're not being rhythmically interesting.

now i could tell you about a zillion different ways you could do those things differently.

but what you need to do, is to know those things for yourself.

I could tell you which ingredients to use, but if you want to make your own recipe you need to know what they taste like.

so just go out and taste them.

don't try to play well necessarily at first. try to play rhythm well for sure.

but for notes do alot of trial and error. then you'll find stuff you like that isn't boring because you didn't do it on purpose.

there are only 7 notes in the key scale. play them all. try them all.

alot of the rest will need to come with lots and lots of practice. i can't just say something to you that will make you good. you need to practice songs, practice solos, practice all sorts of things. learn sounds for yourself and then over time you will become more and more interesting in your solos.

I could be more specific which is sometimes helpful as one of those little steps along the way for a little direction. but i need something specific to work with.

something general like you asked requires, from me, a general answer.

i think it's also important to remember how much importance rhythm has.

one thing you could do is instead of trying to find more notes and different notes to play. stick to fewer notes and try to make them interesting.

this is a great exercise. find 3 or 4 notes that work with the tune and just practice the rhythm on those.

you didn't go straight to the unicylce when you learned to ride a bike, you started with training wheels.

it's best to begin mastering few things and then increase them and build upon them. if you go all crazy and get a whole bunch at once, then you master nothing and are always lost.

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    Practicing scales and arps will engrave in your finger muscles where on the fretboard is the sound you have in your head.
    So for best results I would say: be prepared, close your eyes and don't get in a way between your soul/brains and your fingers. Listen where the 'story' leads you and let it unfold itself.
    Provide listeners with begining and conclusion; stuff the main part with drama and emotion.
    Record your playing, remember the strong parts, improve weak parts; then try again.(Repeat that a lot ).
    Make your own backing tracks; try playing on a single chord for 10 minutes. It's challenging not to become boring even to yourself, but it may help break from some self imposed boundaries.
    Hope any of this is helpful. Good luck. Never give up.