Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Regarding Hendrix Classic

Regarding Hendrix Classic

Not too long ago I was introduced to the beautiful world of Jimi Hendrix. I listened to a song called "Little Wing" and immediately fell in love with his style.

I recently purchased a guitar and decided I wanted to experience the music personally. Since I have been endlessly studying chords, scales, and other guitar theory. I decided I wanted to study the different scales Hendrix used for his songs and recently pinned one of his down.

It appears he used an F major pentatonic scale for "The Wind Cried Mary" and an F major chord shape. After looking at a couple of his songs I noticed the pentatonic scale is a favorite of his but I am having some trouble with one of his songs.

This might appear to be a dumb question. Jimi Hendrix - "All Along the Watchtower" - I'm having trouble pinning down the scale used for this one. This might be comical to some of you experts but I was wondering if you guys could help me out a little.

Other than that this site and board have been very helpful to me.

Hey there...

"All Along The Watchtower"... well, if I remember correctly that tune is played on a guitar tuned down a half-step. So although what you hear is the key of Cmin, Jimi played it in C#min ( since the guitar is tuned down, it sounds a half-step lower )
    He was mainly using the Emaj / C#min pentatonic on that one, occasionally throwing in a blue note or using notes from the minor scale.
    I love that tune, one of my favorite leads of all time
    Eric

Thumbs up

Well I definately appreciate this. Thanks for the help.