Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Songs without Barre chords

Songs without Barre chords

Hi I'm looking for songs, new or old, that can be played without barre chords.

I also would like some songs with D minor and no Barre chords.

Any suggestions would be welcomed, thanks.

Pink Floyd: "Wish You Were Here", "Breathe in the Air"
    Jimi Hendrix: "Hey Joe" (great exercise for the 5 open major chords, C-G-D-A-E)

Lots of stuff by Neil Young and Bob Dylan - off top of my head:
    "Helpless"
    "Blowin' in the wind" (in G or D)
    "Mr Tambourine Man" (in D)
    ... must be dozens more, I'l get back to you...

good idea for thread, btw!

Crazy Train by Ozzy possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by fleaaaaaa
    Hi I'm looking for songs, new or old, that can be played without barre chords. I also would like some songs with D minor and no Barre chords. Any suggestions would be welcomed, thanks.
    We have over 200 songs in our gig book, I was tempted to post the index, but, thought best not to. You can play every one of them with out a barre - of course you would have to play a modified F and B, which I do anyway.

I think you must be having problems making the barre and are looking for ways around it. There is always more than one way to make any chord. There is life with out the barre. Don't let that slow you down.

If you are having trouble, just take a few moments and figure out another way. That F chord - don't sound the 1st string E - because that is what is giving you problems - and you get a Fmaj7 chord, couple of years from now you will be into jazz and learning how to make a Fmaj7 chord....... nothing wrong in using it now.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 09-16-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm
    If you are having trouble, just take a few moments and figure out another way. That F chord - don't sound the 1st string E - because that is what is giving you problems - and you get a Fmaj7 chord, couple of years from now you will be into jazz and learning how to make a Fmaj7 chord....... nothing wrong in using it now.
    Well, there might well be. If you are playing a blues in C, you definitely don't want an Fmaj7 as IV chord!
    Fmaj7 is a very nice chord, but it's not a replacement for F - it's a special chord in its own right.

If the OP wants an easier F (avoiding that nasty 6-string barre), I'd suggest the following:

-x-- mute with index
    -1-- index
    -2-- middle
    -3-- pinky
    -3-- ring
    -x-- mute with thumb

OR

(5)- optional note: index barre (or mute with index)
    -6-- middle
    -5-- index (tip)
    -7-- ring
    -8-- pinky
    -x-- mute with thumb

If you are accurate enough with your right hand strumming then this shape is real easy on the left hand (and sounds nice too). Although it requires a barre across two strings this is much easier than a bar across all 6!
    Code:
    x
    x
    But really, are barre chords that hard that we should suggest avoiding them altogether?

Personally I would be more inclined to use moveable power chords for everything. Yes they sound very rocky, but at least they exercise your hands and mind for barre chords in the future. I guess its down to what kind of music you like, but still, if you happen to like Fusion or Speed Metal you probably can't just say "well, if you find it too hard, just play every other note..."
    Last edited by bluesking; 09-16-2009 at 02:37 PM.
    "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar"

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bluesking
    If you are accurate enough with your right hand strumming then this shape is real easy on the left hand (and sounds nice too). Although it requires a barre across two strings this is much easier than a bar across all 6!
    Code:
    x
    x
    A lot of beginners still have difficulty holding down those top 2 strings with the index.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesking
    But really, are barre chords that hard that we should suggest avoiding them altogether?
    I don't think anyone's suggesting that. As I see it, this is a thread for beginners, to compile a list of easy songs to play, while developing flexibility and strength.
    As a teacher, I'm always confronted with beginners who get frustrated when every song they find seems to have at least one chord they stumble on. I'm always looking for songs without barre chords for that reason: to give beginners a sense of achievement by being able to strum through a whole song (and the more the merrier) without struggling to finger a barre. What's wrong with that? (Barre chords ARE damned hard for beginners.)

Of course we all learn to get those barre shapes (and other movable shapes) in time. But there's a hell of a lot you can do in the meantime (a lot of great songs) just using the basic open cowboy chords, getting used to changing those smoothly. (That's challenge enough for most beginners.)

So how about some more song suggestions?

all songs can be played without bar chords.

maybe not exactly the way the recording is, but still.

to me, there were 3 steps in my evolution of song playing.

the first step was learning just to play the chords in the open section area, or sometimes bar chords as well, but basically just to get the right chords down.

then i started thinking that was amateurish, and i moved on to earing out songs to be able to play them exactly like the recordings.

and then the third step i'm at now, is to forget how they played it on the recording, i only care again about what the framework of the chords are, just like at step one again, except i diddle around in that and play it my own way.

you only need to play bar chords for some songs if you're at step 2.

but if i were you, if i understand correctly, you wish to avoid bar chords because you find them difficult.

well i find this is exactly the opposite of what you should be doing, because bar chords are sweet.

if i were you, i'd find a simple song like smoke on the water, or wild thing, or something like that, and play those using ONLY bar chords. that way you'll get better at them.

they are super hard at first, but then they get easier, but only after you go through the super tough stage and conquer it. but once you do, they become gold.

I actually much prefer playing away from the nut, i don't much like open chords, and only use them when necessary, or i really like them if they allow you to play interesting chords you couldn't otherwise play.

but like i said, if you really absolutely wish to avoid them, you can play any song that way, as long as you're at step 1 or 3. but getting to step 3 requires you pass through step 2, so i'd recommend accepting the challenge and killing those bar chords.

During the Australian leg of the HIStory World Tour, Jackson married dermatologist nurse Deborah Jeanne

Rowe on November 14, 1996.
    wow power leveling
    She bore him two children: a son, Michael Joseph Jackson, Jr. (after divorce name changed to Prince

Michael Jackson), and a daughter, Paris Katherine Michael Jackson. The pair first met in the mid-1980s,

when Jackson was diagnosed with vitiligo. She spent many years treating his illness as well as

providing emotional support.
    Wow gold They built a strong friendship, then became romantically

involved. Originally there were no plans to marry, but following Rowe's first pregnancy, Jackson's

mother intervened and persuaded them to do so. Jackson later claimed that he was in such a rush to

leave the hospital with daughter Paris in 1998 that he cut the cord and left with the baby covered in

blood, World of warcraft gold
    taking the placenta with him in his haste. The couple divorced in 1999, and remained friends, with

Rowe giving full custody of the children to Jackson.
    In 1997, Jackson released Blood on the Dance Floor: HIStory in the Mix, which contained remixes of hit

singles from HIStory and five new songs.
    Sro Gold
    Worldwide sales stand at 6 million copies as of 2007, making it the best selling remix album ever

released. It reached number one in the UK, as did the title track. In the US, the album was certified

platinum, but only reached number 24. Forbes placed his annual income at $35 million in 1996 and $20

million in 1997.
    Sro Gold
    Throughout June 1999, Jackson was involved in a number of charitable events. He joined Luciano

Pavarotti for a benefit concert in Modena, Italy. The show was in support of the non-profit

organization War Child, and raised a million dollars for the refugees of Kosovo,
    Aion kina as well as additional funds for the

children of Guatemala. Later that month, Jackson organized a set of "Michael Jackson & Friends" benefit

concerts in Germany and Korea. Other artists involved included Slash, The Scorpions, Boyz II Men,

Luther Vandross, Mariah Carey, A. R. Rahman, Prabhu Deva Sundaram, Shobana Chandrakumar, Andrea Bocelli

and Luciano Pavarotti. The proceeds went to the "Nelson Mandela Children's Fund", the Red Cross and

UNESCO.

Without Barre chords

Quote Originally Posted by JonR
    As a teacher, I'm always confronted with beginners who get frustrated when every song they find seems to have at least one chord they stumble on. I'm always looking for songs without barre chords for that reason: to give beginners a sense of achievement by being able to strum through a whole song (and the more the merrier) without struggling to finger a barre. What's wrong with that? (Barre chords ARE damned hard for beginners.)

Of course we all learn to get those barre shapes (and other movable shapes) in time. But there's a hell of a lot you can do in the meantime (a lot of great songs) just using the basic open cowboy chords, getting used to changing those smoothly. (That's challenge enough for most beginners.)

So how about some more song suggestions?
    I can actually play Barre chords, but I too am teaching and looking for a list of easy songs that you can play without them thanks, any more sugestions?

Artistically Bankrupt
    I usually use "Children of the Sea" by Sabbath to to get new guitarists used to the open D minor and early barre chord work.

I use "Nigh Moves" by Seger to teach them the open F and left-hand muting.
    "If a child learns which is jay and which is sparrow, he'll no longer see birds nor hear them sing."

Hi! I'm new to this forum and to learning how to play the guitar. I am happy that I joined today while this thread was still on the first page. I have small hands (5'3") and for me I have never met a barre chord that I liked or that I could play.
    I will keep trying though, but for now, I'm so happy this thread was created. Thank you.

Here's another one for the list: Hotel California.

The original key is B minor, which needs several bar chords. But if you play with capo at 7th fret (as one of the original guitars did), you get these shapes:

VERSE
    |Em - - - |B7 - - - |D - - - |A - - - |
    |C - - - |G - - - |Am - - - |B7 - - - |

CHORUS
    |C - - - |G - - - |B7 - - - |Em - - - |
    |C - - - |G - - - |Am - - - |B7 - - - |