Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: "Question"

Exclamation "Question"

hello guys im pretty new to this playing by ear thing and I was hoping that you guys can help me out with a little bit of it , so i have most of the start but, my main focuse is the mellophone solo in it , is there a way that you guys can help me with the notes thank you so much.

http://drumcorps.mbw.usmc.mil/withpride/02America.mp3

- that clip is a small section of an arrangement, not a solo. Personally I can't tell which part is the mellophone.

Here are some ways of doing this on the keyboard - right hand for the melody, leaving the bass notes for others or for later. Adapt this to your instrument.

Melody by ear. Decide on the key you want to use. If its just you playing you do not have to be in the key the song was written in or you are listening to - given the choice I play by ear in C. Now if you want to play in the key the song is written in - or the others will be playing the song in you have to find the key that is being used. Do that by walking a chromatic scale up while listening to the song - when what is being played and the notes you are walking up sound in sync (good together) you've found the tonal center, thus the key. OK you now know the key and the scale notes to use.

More than likely the first note is going to be one of the chord tones of the tonic chord, i.e. if C is the key the first note will probably be a C, E or G.

Hopefully you know the tune - sing the first lyric word while - going to be a problem on your instrument -- work around this - sing the first lyric word while droning the C note, how does it sound, try the E note how does it sound, drone the G note now which sounds best? That's your first note.

You have your key and you have the first note of the song. From here it's one melody note per lyric word. The next melody note is going to be up scale or down scale - doouugh - No it's really that simple. Probably just a tone or a semi-tone up scale or down scale. Finding the first note to use with the first lyric word is a great first step. Everything takes off from there. Once you've identified the first verse you probably have identified all verses as most of the time they are the same.

Now while you are learning how to play by ear, write down what the next note is. Gotta do that right at first. It's going to take you a long time of doing that (for your ears to get to where they can identify the next note) before you can play by ear a complete piece of music on the fly. Playing by ear which ever way you elect to do it is not an over-night thing and will take some time, except for those chosen few that possess this skill innately.

Your other choice is to spend time listening and recognizing interval sounds till you can identify them. Relative sounds within the key, don't waste you time trying to identify unrelated sounds, i.e. the door bell as being a Bb, etc.

Have fun.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 09-07-2009 at 02:38 PM.