Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: -** what's the key to this song?!! Help **-

Question -** what's the key to this song?!! Help **-

Hey, I'am new to this forum and i have been producing music for about a year mainly hip hop and soul rnb music. I can't play the keyboard but i want to make a remix to a song.

but i can't find the key to this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWPOYRitSLc

could some body tell me the key's and scale please thank you so much

Ab minor

not sure how that will help you make a remix to a song, unless maybe it was this song you wanted to remix, but this song sounds like a remix already.

I'd call it G# minor, but only because that has 5 sharps, instead of the 7 flats of Ab minor.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerpikingood
    Ab minor
    I very seldom get into posts like this, however, after your answer I did run my big E string up to about the 5th fret then backed up to the 4th fret as that was where I found the tonal center to be.

Just curious how did/do you go about deciding on the key?
    Last edited by Malcolm; 08-23-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post

Just curious how did/do you go about deciding on the key?
    I know you weren't asking me, but I think it has to do with what easier (to look at)

Generally, musicians rather look at 5 sharps as opposed to seven flats; however, Abm is referred to as opposed to G# minor because though that is correct as well, who would use it? And to write it: one double is required. Most tend to stay away from writing double sharps. For individual notes, yes, but KS and scales - not so much.

Correction: I meant its parallel major. That has implicitly 8 sharps, but explicitly, six + one double sharp. (I'm making too many errors today!)

That's like hearing a song in A#; however, one would rather call that Bb because it just two flats compared to what would be written for A#

Btw, there would be Xs (double sharps) written in the key signature, so you really wouldn't write ten sharps (KS or writing out the scale) anyway. However, only seven accidentals are used even if there are the rarely occasional double sharps.

Here's Bb: Bb-C-D-Eb-F-G-A-Bb (KS: 2 flats)

Here's A#: A#-B#-Cx-D#-E#-Fx-Gx-A# (KS: 7 sharps: 4 single + 3 double)

Take your pick.

Having said this, Cb and C# are used (each with seven accidentals) but like with Bb and A#, when heard, their equivalents are often used - B and Db and they are easier to look at

Lastly, the "functionally" - depending on the instrument. Harps scream Cb rather than B. AAMOF, this is what they're tuned to. [All Pedals Up instead of 2 up, 5 down] Which means they prefer Db as opposed to C# [5 up instead of 7 down]

And sadly, they can't do anything with D, G, A; they can play pieces in D or pieces that contain those notes, but you see the obvious problem.

It's a preference thing - even if you take the above mentioned into account.

B/g# is called like this: B/ab

C#/a# is called like this - C#/Bbm though C# should be Db

Cb/ab (see B/g#)

Now, if you're also asking from a composition view (How to decide what key to write/play in) - that's something else.
    Last edited by Color of Music; 07-17-2012 at 12:44 AM.

I was just curious if Jon does it by ear or runs the song up the piano keyboard, his E string, or runs it through some software. What method does he use to zero in on a key?

I ran it up my E string and got close.......

I'm hunting for the magic software that does not cost $800.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 07-17-2012 at 12:56 AM.

I was just curious if Jon does it by ear or runs the song up the piano keyboard, his E string, or runs it through some software. What method does he use to zero in on a key?
    Any of the above .
    I do it by ear, but there are many ways of listening to it and using trial and error.
    Actually, although I would use software - see below - to get other details, I wouldn't use it to find the key - that's more of a "big picture" thing, which one can only determine by listening.

IOW, I might do it the exact same way as you - running up the E string till I find the right note.
    Of course, that note has to be the keynote, and not just any old note that might fit at that moment. That's something you can often only determine by listening to a substantial part of the track, hearing how the chords (and melody) move and where they come to rest.
    I'm hunting for the magic software that does not cost $800.
    http://www.seventhstring.com/
    Free for a month, and $39 after that. Brilliant program (IMHO).
    (BTW, it's not "magic". It won't tell you what the key of a piece of music is, although it will try to tell you what specific chords are. It just helps you listen, in various ways.)

Thanks for the link. Will try it out this afternoon.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 07-17-2012 at 12:37 PM.