Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: I'm terrible at singing

Quote Originally Posted by Crossroads
    "what came before the big bang?")
    ya i've pondered this one for a while, I have actually a response to that question which would initiate a probably a more lengthy discussion so i'll let it slide, but really the question itself is sort of dubious because "before" requires time, and "before" the big bang, time did not exist.

time itself is a good one too, but what i'd like to know about it still is what's the math behind, and how the bending of time can make sense. because to me, it can be bent in a way, but not the kind of way that can send you back in time, because really it's not the space bending back on itself that will allow you travel back in time, it's not a trajectory you can take. so i feel that maybe there some mis intrepation of some math maybe somewhere in there, or idl i'd like to know more about that specifically because it seems impossible to me, but then again there was a day when so did special relativity.
    Last edited by fingerpikingood; 07-29-2009 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timestorm
    Fingerpickin, i think the fact that you wont answer my questions which were mostly music related kinda speaks volumes.
    I didn't want to get into it with you, because even if it were to be in a pm, I thought the following thing you said was directed at me, and so that you were looking for ammunition to fire at me that would be the catalyst for forum war 3, and i didn't feel much up to it.

I'm still not certain i am.

if you were a regular person in real life and not someone posting in thise thread i would have no problem answering those questions.

but as it is, i think i would prefer not making this about me in any way, but just about music and people other people, not us.

That 'greatest' and 'winners' comment i made was in reference to BlakeWards post where he mentioned overconfident guys etc and being focused on winning. It wasnt actually anything to do with anything you said. I've met an awful lot of guys in real life who walk around convinced of their own greatness and self importance and it really is a turn off. Mental attitude is of course extremely important to success but some guys think they're the greatest 24/7!
    oh sorry i thought you were talking about me. but i do agree with you. i know i've said some things maybe that have directly or indirectly made me seem that i am boasting, but usually to me people speak about how good they are when it just isn't obvious to people and they want to make people think that.
    I feel, if einstein were around in regular public before anyone knew him, i think he would need to hide his mind rather than boast it.

but honestly you can't fault tiger woods for thinking he is the greatest golfer. but for thinking that he being the greatest golfer makes him the greatest person, I wouldn't like, and would disagree whole heartedly with.

You mentioned in a previous post that you couldn't understand how some people can enjoy music when they dont have YOUR sense of rhythm or words to that effect - that sounds very big-headed to me. And in your recent post above you say "I should need to hide myself because i have positive attributes or some specific qualities that some others may wish they had"? That is beyond big-headed. You sound as though you think you have qualities that make you stand head and shoulders above others and that other people must be jealous!
    ok well sorry, to sound big headed but i also wonder how it is that people can see extra colors than me.

I mean i know i perceive music differently than many. I know that some hear note relationships well, in my experience that is more common, but i don't understand what it is people love about music if they don't experience rhythm the same way i do. some do experience rhythm like me, it's not ultra rare or anything. I find you can always tell when someone dances or head bobs.

but ya, i love the way music makes me a slave, and i have to move, it controls me. and i wonder, that if others don't perceive it that way and yet love music still, i wonder what it is they like about it.

I wonder how it is for them. I see some people counting, having trouble feeling some rhythms, having to focus on repeating a rhythm.

for me it's a different thing than that. If it's wrong to wonder how others perceive it, and what it is they like about it then i wonder.

like, i don't much like classical too too much. for some applications i think it works well but it's not the kind of music that makes me want to dance. maybe that's what it's like for others. all is like classical music to me, idk. but that's what i don't like about classical music.

I'm not saying they shouldn't like it, or that music is too god for them or they're not good enough for music. I mean anyone can like anything for any reasons, but i wonder sometimes how people must perceive liver if that's the food they like to eat. you know what i mean?

nothing wrong with it, I'm just curious.

in that way also though seeing as i'm slightly colorblind, most people might wonder how i can enjoy a sunset or something like that. and i think the things are analogous, because for me, I feel i can see all colors. i know i can't but it boggles my mind to think other colors can exist. just like thinking that would probably boggle yours.

idk it's complicated i guess. because when you think of music and the strangeness it is of basically sound in repettitive patters that we for some reason like and in different wavelengths of vibration proportions that are rhythm and order sensitive, that alone is a strange thing. to me i know the thing causes me to move and i don't understand it. like the smell of food causes you to sallivate. I'm not saying it's such a rare thing, but not everyone has it. so idk, what is the appealk of music if say you have trouble hearing harmonies properly, more of them are similar and rhythm is just like any other set of sounds or could be slightly off beat and make no difference.

it's a legitimate question i find. just like social cultural reasons aside, why do some like some music and not other music? just like food taste. though food i have an idea. music, i'm partially perplexed, though some of it, i'm sure is the same.
    Last edited by fingerpikingood; 07-29-2009 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerpikingood
    ... really the question itself is sort of dubious because "before" requires time, and "before" the big bang, time did not exist.
    My very last comment on this - that's a tempting conclusion, and it's one that Stephen Hawking & others once favoured, though not since Alan Guth explained how the "bang" was probably preceded by a period of rapid exponential Inflation (ie the current Inflationary Big Bang Model).

So do be careful about simply assuming that you are right & logical to think time must have disappeared at the point of the "bang".

If you want to know more about this, then do read the book by Alan Guth, "The Inflationary Universe" ... it's not difficult to read .... Guth, was the main person responsible for explaining how inflation solves earlier mathematical difficulties arising from the older Standard Big Bang Model ... most physicists now accept that "Inflationary Big Bang" is a more plausible model & fits the maths better ... although, like string theory, it does lead to the idea of mulitiverses.

But this forum is for music discussion ... so, lets all get back on track .

Ian.

Fingerpikin, i'm not looking for ammo to fire at you i'm just curious - and confused about some things here. When you introduced yourself to this forum you said you'd been playing for about 15 years correct? You didn't state which instrument that was, but logically this would have to place you in at least your 20's. Thats not THAT young in guitar playing terms. A lot of guys here will be a similar age i'd imagine so i dont know why you were so unwilling to state it. You obviously sing as you said looking on YouTube helped you with voice training etc. I see nothing that could be used as 'ammo' here.

Some of your posts do make you sound very young and boastful. You dont really sound like a man in his 20's.

However things often get confused on the internet so i guess it's just one of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Timestorm
    Fingerpikin, i'm not looking for ammo to fire at you i'm just curious - and confused about some things here. When you introduced yourself to this forum you said you'd been playing for about 15 years correct? You didn't state which instrument that was, but logically this would have to place you in at least your 20's. Thats not THAT young in guitar playing terms. A lot of guys here will be a similar age i'd imagine so i dont know why you were so unwilling to state it. You obviously sing as you said looking on YouTube helped you with voice training etc. I see nothing that could be used as 'ammo' here.

Some of your posts do make you sound very young and boastful. You dont really sound like a man in his 20's.

However things often get confused on the internet so i guess it's just one of those things.
    ya i know i had gotten irritated with those guys. usually i'm not that way. even when i was younger.

but see, now if i say what instruments i play then i would sound boastful right?

usually i never say such things. people usually only learn such things from me as they either come up in conversation or from watching me do it if it ever comes up. and even at that i usually don't volunteer to show them.

unless they are children.
    Last edited by fingerpikingood; 07-29-2009 at 05:52 PM.

I know this thread has branched off to a few different roads from the beginning. But I just wanted to talk about what I am making my singing practice routine.

I am going to warm up by playing and singing along with the major scale and then the minor scale. This is fairly easy for me. I will do it in all the keys and in two octaves.

But here comes the more tricky part. The next part of my practice I will be singing with only one reference note. This is something I still need a whole lot of work on. I figure if I practice long enough I should be able to see some big improvements.

I've already seen some nice improvements in little time, seeing as I could barely hit a few consecutive notes of the major scale when I first started, while using only one reference note to begin.

My goal is eventually to be able to sing the major scale in two octaves with only one reference note and also be able to know which interval I want to sing to. For example, say I am playing the G note on the third fret of the sixth string to begin the G major scale, eventually I'd like to be able to think in my mind, " I want to go up 5 intervals." And I'd like to be able to hit the note effortlessly. But I want to be able to hit all the intervals in any combination.

This is going to take a whole lot of work. But, when it's all said and done, I think it will be worth it. It should make me not only a singer, but a better musician overall.

I just thought I'd like to share that.