Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Cultural Icon Times 2 (Farrah & Michael)

Cultural Icon Times 2 (Farrah & Michael)

I'm old enough to remember....

I remember the day Elvis died. I was playing at a friend's house. Paul R. Living in DC at the time. We were in the basement and his mom came down stairs in tears. "It's the End of an Era. The King is dead." was all she said. I didn't know what king she was talking about, I was just bummed because she sent me home - it was time to mourn. I walked home and my mom explained...

I remember the day John Lennon died. I woke up, turned on the radio (different town). I was stunned. Gunned down? Why? I called my buddy Mark S., the biggest Beatles fan I knew (huge fan). "Have you heard the news?" "What news?" "Dude, you need to sit down....". He didn't believe me at first - and he wasn't in school that day.

Yesterday, news was announced that Farrah Fawcett had died. Hours later, the news reported the death of Michael Jackson. Farrah from the cancer she had fought for several years; MJ we still don't know.

Who among us who were alive in the 1970s were not riveted by Farrah's stunning look and personality? Who among us didn't have MJ as the ubiquitous soundtrack to their world? I didn't even much watch TV, including "Charlie's Angels" - but there was no escaping her presence. My music of choice was Aerosmith, Nazareth, & the Nuge - but Jackson's sound was heard everywhere.

We loved Elvis, John Wayne, John Lennon...and we loved Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. Do we remember what else was in the news those days? Is it any wonder we are only mildly aware of what else in in the news today? 20 years from now, will we remember the motorcycle bomb in Iraq or the riots in Iran? Will we remember heated talks with North Korea over nuclear missile tests or who won what sporting event? Will we remember if swine flu was 2009 or some other year, or which atrocity in Africa grabbed our attention for 60 seconds?

I suspect not.

But we will always remember the day we lost not one, but 2 Cultural Icons, as well we should. It is more than our shared history - it is our shared POSITIVE history, our shared experience.

We will always remember Farrah and Michael.
    --
    David M. McLean
    Skinny Devil Music Lab
    Hidden Content

"...embrace your fear..."

very eloquently spoken my friend.

Here, here.
    I was actually watching a documentary about Michael Jackson (Louis Theroux) and went downstairs briefly. I turned on the television at 1am and saw the BBC news report. I will deffinitely remember that coincidence....

I love the classic rock/blues/funk stuff more than anything. But I have a lot of time for Michael's singing and dancing (not to mention some of the best written pop songs of all time.)

I think I'm gonna jam to some of his CDs tonight.
    Last edited by bluesking; 06-26-2009 at 07:31 PM.
    "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar"

Hidden Content

Pretty sad stuff Both were wonderful people, I was more familiar with MJ though. Well put my friend