Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Music career

Music career

Hi,

My name is Josh and im currently about to start a BTEC National Diploma in music technology. I really want to work in a studio maybe even own my own studio one day, but i also crave to be in a band im a talented guitarist and i want to go into a studio so i have an imcome of money while i get a band together. I know how to compose and read music, and i know many people go to uni to study music is this neccessary? I only thought uni was for people who want to compose classical music surely if your natually giffted theres no need to study music at uni, could any one help me or give me some advice?

many thanks

josh

Quote Originally Posted by josh1012
    I only thought uni was for people who want to compose classical music surely if your natually giffted theres no need to study music at uni, could any one help me or give me some advice?
    If you're naturally gifted at physics would it be a waste of time to study it at a tertiary level?

Having trouble with my gallbladder so I went to a surgeon, and noticed there were no diplomas on his wall. I ask him about that and he said; "O'h I never graduated from medical school, I'm just very talented and have a knack for this stuff."

My gallbladder was removed by a surgeon with lots of diplomas on his wall.

I'm not familiar with UNI or what it stands for, however, these days get as much education as you can, you will draw on that knowledge and the people you meet while in school for the rest of your life.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 06-19-2009 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1012
    Hi,

My name is Josh and im currently about to start a BTEC National Diploma in music technology. I really want to work in a studio maybe even own my own studio one day, but i also crave to be in a band im a talented guitarist and i want to go into a studio so i have an imcome of money while i get a band together. I know how to compose and read music, and i know many people go to uni to study music is this neccessary? I only thought uni was for people who want to compose classical music surely if your natually giffted theres no need to study music at uni, could any one help me or give me some advice?

many thanks

josh
    The point of studying music academically is not (as Malcolm suggests) to get a piece of paper on the wall. Music is not medicine!
    Nobody you are ever going to work for is going to ask to see your piece of paper. (Unless perhaps you want to become a teacher...)
    BUT... the real benefit of studying music at college or uni is to meet like minds, make contacts. Your teachers will often be pros in the business (or at least with prior experience in the business). And your fellow students will be as keen and as talented as you are - who better to form bands with? Or to set up studios with? Maybe create production companies? IOW, it's all about networking.
    Of course, the study matters! And uni is a more focussed environment, with set challenges, than teaching yourself can ever be.
    It's important you pick the right course. Eg, if it's music tech and contemporary music you're into, a classical music course may not be the best choice. (The basic theory is good and universal - and the students and staff will still be worth meeting - but there should be more suitable courses around.)

It IS possible to make it without college education - IF you really are talented, hard-working, extrovert, and totally committed. IOW, without college, you have to make your own chances. You have to get out there and put yourself about. That suits a certain kind of personality (eg, who can't stand the academic environment, but is still intelligent and buzzing with ideas). (And actually, you may think you can't stand an academic environment, but if the course suits you, you may get to enjoy it. Eg, I was put off higher education by my school experience: I hated "being taught". But when I later went to college - older and wiser - I had a ball.)

Getting work in a studio (either behind the desk or as a session musician) is down to your experience, proven ability and reliable character - not academic qualification. Do you already have what it takes for that? Can you compete? Maybe some kid fresh out of college will have an advantage simply because of the experience college has given him, never mind the piece of paper?

IOW, I'm saying, if you have the chance to study music (or music tech) full-time - do it. It can't hurt, right? It's not going to be wasted time! (But do make sure you research the courses on offer first. Talk to the places and explain your goals. I mean, once you've completed your BTEC and are considering further options... Maybe by then your studio will be up and running... )
    Last edited by JonR; 06-19-2009 at 06:57 AM.

No, university is not just for people who wish to compose classical music.

Follow whatever path feels right. But remember that being totally immersed in the world of music (from the educational aspects to the networking aspects) can never be a waste of time. I'd suggest giving it a whirl. You can always drop out if you don't like it. Who knows, you might actually learn something, improve your skills, meet equally talented peers with similar interests, meet teachers who work in the biz and can help you on your path, and much more.
    --
    David M. McLean
    Skinny Devil Music Lab
    Hidden Content

"...embrace your fear..."

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by borge
    If you're naturally gifted at physics would it be a waste of time to study it at a tertiary level?
    You've gt points there. Why would one waste time to study more about his chosen field if he was already good at it. Shifting to pursue a career is somewhat okay. But to some point, I guess much better to study even just for a short time if there is an available, in order to gain more knowledge on it, and at the same time to acquire even just a certificate or or professionalism. For there are cases that this additional information you get to learn from a study could even make the best out of you.

Hope that I get to be understood on what I'm trying to say..
    Looking forward to meet some of you guys.!

Hi Josh,

Previous to going to uni to study popular music & recording I also did a B-TEC in music technology, but to desipher whether you want to go to uni or not you may want to consider asking yourself first what it is exactly you want to do afterwards, and if the course will meet your needs and demands to get to that next level (sounds obvious but there are literally tons of music degrees but they are all quite different from eachother, so lots of research is a must!). If you want to definately be a studio musician (and possibly own your own studio) like you mentioned, then I would definately reccomend uni for sure. I too was very sceptical about going but did anyways, and even when i was mid way through my first year I was even worse! But like people have mentioned on previous posts....its all about meeting lots of eager and passionate musicians like yourself, and networking that makes it worthwhile! hope this helps

if you make great music people want to listen to, you don't need a diploma. it's like that for arts.

if you want to work for a music company to some capacity having one is good.

the other advantage of universities, is the better the reputation, generally the better are the musicians that go there, so you get to meet good musicians.

the info is the same, the knowledge the same, but the musical influence and contacts is different.

Josh someone should talk you out of a career in music. You would make much better money as a doctor or a lawyer or even a plumber. As a doctor, lawyer, plumber you won't be staying out to all hours of the night playing in seedy bars or trying to get that perfect take on tape. As a doctor, lawyer, plumber you won't be associating with people of questionable character and assorted substance abuse issues. As a doctor, lawyer, plumber you are paid on time and have a health plan. As a doctor, lawyer, plumber you will be able to eat right, get exercise and live a healthy life style. As a doctor, lawyer, plumber you can support your family and send your kids to a good college. As a doctor, lawyer, plumber you will be exalted and held in the highest esteem of society.

Think twice Josh!