Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Rest

Rest

Whats the diffrence in a rest and a normal pause ?

For example

C C C

C C rest C

Thanks for you help

Blue Star Dragon

If I understand your question correctly (ie if I'm not trivialising it) - in music "rests" have different specific time periods, equal to the time of a whole note, half note, quarter note, 1/8th note or 1/16th note.

So when you look at the sheet music for a song, the indicated rests have different symbols to show how long your "pause" should be ... you can't just have any old length of pause ... if the symbol says "1/8th rest", then you have to pause for the time equal to an 1/8th note.

Ian.

Yes, a "rest" is a symbol with a specific duration. There are equivalent rest symbols for all the usual note values, indicating silences which count towards the correct number of beats in a bar. They don't affect the tempo (speed) of the music.
    A "pause" - meaning the tempo stops temporarily while a note or rest is held for an optional length of time - is shown by a little semicircle with a dot in the middle, above (or sometimes below) the stave. This symbol is known as a "fermata":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermata
    Pauses are quite rare, while rests are extremely common!
    Last edited by JonR; 03-03-2009 at 09:51 AM.

As a tip - even when someone does not know how to read music notation, it's still worth just looking at the notation to see where the rests are, and to see what value they have, ie whether it's a long rest (eg whole note rest) or a very brief rest (eg 1/8th or 16th rest) ...

... because very often if you are having difficulty getting a piece to sound right, it's because you are not leaving the right lengths of rest in the right places in each phrase ...

... so I think it's a good idea to get used to looking for the rests, even if you are not actually reading all the notes.

Ian.

http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory2.htm
    The rest notation are several screens down.
    As you can see there is more to this than you originally thought.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 03-03-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Malcolm - you mean 64th and 128th rests (or double whole note rests)?

Assuming BluesStarDragon is a guitarist, I don't think he will meet too many 64th and 128th rests (I never see them, even on really crazy fast stuff) ... I sometimes see 32nd rests, but unless the music is super slow I treat those as so brief that it's almost just a matter of "feel" rather than me consciously trying to time it ... what do you think? Is that how you handle rests in practice?

Maybe violinists or pianists often meet 64th and 128th rests?

Ian.

ps:- Jon ... thanks for the ref. re the error in that book.