Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Getting Started--What Counts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Boy
    Well, Bongo's been away for a while. I've tried to get some sort of grip on 'music', and here's what I've learned. I hope this might uh...'resonate', with someone.

I'm an old guy, and I have nothing I want to say to anyone thru music. I really can hardly tolerate the music I hear on radio, and can hardly put up with whiny, pathetic crap I hear that pass as 'lyrics'. I seldom hear any poetry, seldom hear anything that feels...uh, that feels.

So, tonight, I'm probing around the internet, and I find something that actually makes me 'feel'. I mean, it's pop crap that actually makes me...cry. This is good. This is some music where I can sense the emotion of the writer. A connection.

So what's my Big Point? My Big Point is, once again, music isn't about anything other than this. Making someone actually feel something. I think you know when this happens.

It was a pop tune. God forbid. 'Go Your Own Way'. If you think there was no emotion, no feeling, no inspiration there, I think you're missing something. I think this just might be the greatest rock ballad ever written. Any super guitar crap? I could give a rat's ***.

"If I could, I'd give you my world." Huh. Makes me actually think about something. Music hasn't done that for me in a long, long time.

So, I guess if you're thinking 'great music' means you have to have great technique or some crap like that, well, I think you're wrong. Great music means you're able to send a story right directly into my friggin' brain and make everything my brain would rather be doing stop cold...and listen.

Don't take lyrics, but it sure as hell don't take 'technique'. It take 'feeling'. When Lindsey stands up to the mic and says something, I'm listening. Couldn't care less about how nicely he plays that guitar.
    This is so simple it's stupid.

It's BOTH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE RIGHT that it''s about FEELING

But besides getting feeling from great songs and great lyrics, you can also get great feeling from great playing.

They don't have to be divorced from eachother. Feeling + Feeling = hey, MORE FEELING,lol

I prefer good songs, good singing and good lyrics too. But good songs with good singing and good lyrics,believe it or not, can also have good playing sometimes. But you're right about meaningful and well sung lyrics having a huge impact.

Instrumentals can have alot of feeling.

Someone mentioned that they don't listen to metal or shred but do enjoy playing them.

I don't listen to metal because I find the lyrics and vocals offensive to my musical sense. It's not good singing or lyrics to me,and to me that = sucky songs. The lyrics aren't meaningful to me. And the singing isn't meaningful to me. Some of the playing can be interesting or good, but the first point negates the latter usually. Instrumental fixes this problem.

Atleast that's my feeling.

But yeah...give me the good old stuff with the meaningful lyrics and decent singing. That stuff gets me every time.

Last edited by Chim_Chim; 02-16-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    Some days I seem to do OK. Other days I feel like just shoving an M-80 right up my guitar's butt.

Artistically Bankrupt
    I don't listen to metal because I find the lyrics and vocals offensive to my musical sense.
    Is your lyrical sense offended by music?

Anyway, what is wrong with "bloody bowels burnin' burnin' for you, slave of the Devil slave of the Devil SatanSatanBloodSatanSatanThunderSatanSatanSatan!!! !"?
    "If a child learns which is jay and which is sparrow, he'll no longer see birds nor hear them sing."

Quote Originally Posted by Blutwulf
    Is your lyrical sense offended by music? < Ha Ha, NOPE

Anyway, what is wrong with "bloody bowels burnin' burnin' for you, slave of the Devil slave of the Devil SatanSatanBloodSatanSatanThunderSatanSatanSatan!!! !"?
    Nothing.

That is, if it's followed by something meaningful and of some merit like if they farted into the mic afterwards and urinated on an Iron Maiden poster. That would be more entertaining to me. But that's just the rock n roll in me I guess,haha. That added bit of humor could save it from being just another gutless pedestrian exercise in teen fashion.

They could follow that with a big old "F*** SATAN" and burst into some awesome gnarly shredding solo-age!!!!!!

Last edited by Chim_Chim; 02-17-2009 at 09:37 AM.
    Some days I seem to do OK. Other days I feel like just shoving an M-80 right up my guitar's butt.

I wonder what it means to be 'valid' or 'meaningful'?

Playing one note and singing could be meaningful.

Playing a thousand notes and not singing could be meaningful.

Singing without playing any notes could be meaningful.

Farting could be meaningful as long as it's in key (or not in key, depending on what you're going for)

I think it just depends on the person and their own interpretation. Who's to say that what one person likes is not meaningful just because someone else doesn't think so.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers

I think you are just having a breakdown bongo!

Crying spontaneously at music is the first sign...

returning to old forums is the second.

Quote Originally Posted by heavymental
    I wonder what it means to be 'valid' or 'meaningful'?

Playing one note and singing could be meaningful.

Playing a thousand notes and not singing could be meaningful.

Singing without playing any notes could be meaningful.

Farting could be meaningful as long as it's in key (or not in key, depending on what you're going for)

I think it just depends on the person and their own interpretation. Who's to say that what one person likes is not meaningful just because someone else doesn't think so.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers
    I never used the word valid, I said meaningful, as in having meaning.

Not being meaningful would be the same old tired and unoriginal drivel about 'satan satan satan,yeah yeah yeah,hermaphrodiic goats really pump my nads,yeah yeah yeah'....it's STUPID! ...Okay?...it's been done TO DEATH! Why? I don't know. Does anybody know? The only reason I can think of is that the Nazis and the cia are really good at their mind control.

More interesting would be to make fun of satan, then it would atleast be more original. Plus then it would have some sort of point to it, HUMOR!!!!

You know(?),funny haha?

Having a point would be a good start towards having some meaning.Humor I get. It has a point to it, to make me laugh.

^ That's been missing in music for the most part since Mtv made the pop genre of heavy metal into the big neato fad amongst goths and vampires who shop at hot topic and drink clamato juice that it is today. (LOL @ Southpark). My god atleast 'try' to rise above emo and goth and new wavers with the flock of seagulls haircuts. If you're not going to be serious about making real music then atleast let me off the hook with some humor. Then I'll atleast have something 'valid' to glom onto. Or just do instrumentals then it'll have to be about what I am hearing and not about what I am seeing.
    Last edited by Chim_Chim; 02-28-2009 at 04:13 AM.

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    What an incredible group of folks, uniformly not down with the whole pretentiousness thing. Nice.

Listened again [Go Your Own Way]. Starting to 'get it'. jeeeeezus, it's only about believable story. That's it. Nothing about style technique or any particular talent. It's about story I believe in.

I sold all my music stuff. My guitars, my amps, my congas, my bongos. I have no clue, no talent and more importantly, no desire/ability to communicate to anyone thru music.

You guys are great. I love this site...and to all those who live here, I salute you as the gods you are. I cannot give back through this art form. Just can't do it. You, who are actual musicians, I bow before. No jerking around here...you are doing god's work. With a little 'g'. Bless you all.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Say, what? You sold all your instruments? Wow, man get those things back immediately LoL .

Look, I hear bands all the time, and they can't play or sing a dammed note anywhere near in tune ... and some of those bands are famous and idolized LoL .

I mean, seriously - I have days when I think my playing should be described as merely a feeble attempt to play. But then I hear other people, and OK sometimes they sound great, but as I say at other times they are total rubbish .

Really - if you care about making music, and you just want to be creative with some notes on an instrument ... just to "say" something with that instrument ... then as the worst 1970's/80's punk bands proved, anyone can do It ... I mean, many of those guys hardly knew more than 3 chords and no scales at all ... they just bashed out their message to the world. Personally I think their message was also rubbish lol , but that aint the point. The point was - they were making their own statement, the way they wanted.

Guys on this forum often ask questions about the most obscure and complex scales, claiming to explore supposedly "advanced" rhythms and progressions etc. But in most of those threads, I'm left with the distinct feeling that they would be far better musicians if they just concentrated on using basic scales like pentatonics played over basic chord progressions in major & minor keys ... I mean there is enough there to keep almost every musician on the planet in creative mode all day every day for their entire lives.

Now as it happens, I also like complex guitar playing, ie just for the pure technical sake of it. So I do try to play some stuff like that myself. But I also find that that the simplest musical ideas are often the most attractive and most memorable .... so our playing doesn't need to be ultra-complex in order to be musically & artistically attractive.

Anyway ... just saying - if you get one instrument back, and just try to play something, anything, then it makes music ... and if you try to be creative with that, then it's just as valid as Mozart (or Buckethead, or whoever) .

Ian.

Secrets of hearts cannot be seen through the hazy mists of words

Hi bongo boy. Music rarely makes you 'feel' anymore? Wow, what DOES make you feel? I agree that there's plenty of crap music out there but there is stuff i like too. In fact i almost have the opposite problem that sometimes i feel like music is one of the few things that really is worth bothering with. Music certainly makes me feel. And music is one of the few occasions that we're allowed to show any emotion or to feel anything anyway isn't it? I cant imagine what it must be like to feel as you do towards music now.

I also think that anyone who participates in this forum is already giving something back through music.

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    Music makes me feel too. Sometimes I listen to my recordings, and tears form in my eyes.
    How could I made so many mistakes!

What is the meaning of meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingSkull
    Music makes me feel too. Sometimes I listen to my recordings, and tears form in my eyes.
    How could I made so many mistakes!
    Ha, ha.... now that made be laugh .

But unfortunately it's true. I mean, there are some favourite licks which I've practiced litteraly many thousand times, and I still make at least one obvious mistake in the middle of the the lick every single time ... I'm not sure I could ever get those licks near perfect no matter if I practiced them all day every day for my whole life!

So what do classical players do? How can they play long complex pieces without ever apparently making obvious mistakes?

Practice makes perfect? Well not in my case lol. It certainly makes it a lot better .... but not really anywhere near perfect.

Ian.