Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Licks n Runs n Riffs

Originally posted by forgottenking2
    [B... I don't have anything to post yet, hopefully I'll get my technique back up soon. [/B]
    Hey forgottenking2 just post anything you like to play, even if its not shred a 3 note line.....anything will do!

Hi there!

Here's the very simple outro to a folk song in Dm which I play on my acoustic.

It has some acciaccaturas in it.

Zatz.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zatz; 08-01-2003 at 08:15 PM.

Originally posted by Koala
    Kickass lick Erirc!
    Hey there,

glad you liked it. I attached a short MP3 of me playing a short solo using that string-skipping pattern in F Major, tapping included

Erirc

Hi guys,

Considering that this thread has become a universal lick storage I thought that another short thread with some dissonant licks, posted by myself and EricV, might fit in here well too.

Dissonant licks

Ultra mega best regards,
    Zatz.

This is a little intro from one of the songs ive written. Some finger tapping nothing over the top.

Central Scrutinizer
    Hey Eric, nice delay
    Almost sounds like a harmony lick.
    I know you've seen Steve Morse do that delay, self harmony thing.
    Don't know it that was your intent, but created a very cool effect.

On a completly diffent note this is a few very simple supportive kinna licks fron one my tunes. Not exactly mind boggling
    but hopefully they suceed in moving the song forward.

Ok so here goes, for no ther reason than I felt like it
    That and I like getting my but kicked by all you mega players, it gives me inspiration.
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

Nice little phrase after the singer says "chicks every night"

Originally posted by The Bash
    Hey Eric, nice delay
    Almost sounds like a harmony lick.
    I know you've seen Steve Morse do that delay, self harmony thing.
    I sure did see him do that a few times. Did you see the DVD yet ? That live-show from NY ? Where he does that unaccompanied solo with all the echoes ?
    Actually, the player who got me interested in that self-harmony stuff was Brian May... I loved the "Brighton Rock Solo" on Queens "Live At Wembley"... beautiful ideas and effects in there...
    The delay you here on that lick was created by a VST-plugin. Compared to a pedal, its very easy to dial in the exact correct delay-time, so the delay is in sync with the tempo...
    Eric

Hi eric,
    I have a wierd request....but what the heck Not sure if you have listened to that file i uploaded, but do you know what key I'm playing in? I played that because it sounded good. However it would be nice to know what is going on in terms of progression.

Id say its E min. I made a short Powertab of a similar kinda lick, using the notes you used ( so its not an exact TAB, but kinda similar to what you played there ) ... its pretty much all Em, although at the end, by going down to Eb, you create a certain harmonic minor-ish sound... the first bar works well over Em- or Am-chords, the second one is Emin ( check out the notes... E-F#-G-B... thats an arpeggiated Emadd9, just like the first bar could be considered an Amadd9 ), and the third one goes into Harmonic minor-land
    Hope this helps
    Eric

And, as another idea:

Its pretty easy to figure out chords for a lick like this if you simply look at the notes youre playing ( after all, youre tapping arps ), and create chords from that.
    So, in the ptb attached to this post, I made a little etude from your tapping pattern, and added chords.
    Key of Em, the chords go: A5 ( Amin )-E5 ( Emin )-Ebmin+5-Emin
    Thats one thing you can do with that lick... has a certain Yngwie-ish drama to it
    Eric

Thanks for that Eric!!

Nice work there Eric. Goes to show how a reasonably simple phrase can sound so good for the simple reason that it relates to the chords being played.
    Last edited by Shred Fan; 08-02-2003 at 11:34 PM.

Econo-Pent Licks

I came up with these when trying to figure out an alternate way to play fast sextuplet pent patterns. Since I can 't seem to strictly alternate pick these ideas with two note per string patterns, I tried and alternate approach using sweeps or mini-sweeps.

It is the same set of notes picked and fingered 4 different ways.
    There are four groups of sextuplets ascending through the E minor Pentatonic scale. The first sextuplet is always shown fingered the same way (as I couldn't figure out a better way to execute this). The next three are variations of 3 notes on the G string then 1 note on the E string then 2 notes on the E string (312) and 2 notes on the G string then 1 note on the E string then 3 notes on the E string (213). Where the Note on the B string is always swept down as a continuation of the pick stroke from the last note on the G string. The third staff has the picking that makes the most sense, but for some reason is not the one I am best at. All of the other staves have at least one hammer on to make the picking work out. When I get back to my guitar (on vacation now!) I'll try to send in an MP3 of this.
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

Yo szulc! Cool idea you came up with for the sextuplets.

This is the way I would play it using 3 notes per string and all alternate picking starting with a downstroke.
    The wide stretches might feel funny at first but once you get the hang of it (just practice till your fingers get numb) you can really play it faaaaaast.
    Also you can use the same fingering playing it downwards. Keep watching the little string skip!

You can also extend the lick to even more strings and play it up and down all over the neck.

BTW, Paul Gilbert used that one in the intro to "Colorado Bulldog"

Other than that, I like your version very much too!

Best
    TK