Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Licks n Runs n Riffs

Heres a lick from me. Actually a classic(i dont want to take credit for it, picked it up somewhere, or more likely everywhere). Its a bluesy e minor penationic triplet run i use a lot when jamming. Heres the ptab file (bare with me its the first time i use it) and an mp3, it sounds nicer played slower and with some crunch but i dont have my stuff with me.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Koala; 07-15-2003 at 04:58 AM.

And heres the mp3.

check this one out.

its one of the "shorties" that I throw into my solos as a contrast to my ( mostly ) pentatonic oriented style.

Marc

Originally posted by Koala
    And heres the mp3.
    Hey Koala, great lick my friend! Youve got the blues going!!!

Everybody elses licks are also very cool but itll take me years to learn Wyll Watts licks Its too hard! Nobody can play this exept Shawn Lane

Thank you...
    TK

glad you liked the licks Thorsten.. I love that PG quote.. on those last to licks I really was doing some Shawn Lane imitation.. I'm pretty sure I picked those up from something similar he played live in Blacksburg one time.... I can only play that sort of stuff after about an hour of warm-up and several beers..
    those first two licks were sort of a Django meets Yngwie sort of thing...

I've been working on parts of some Bach preludes from the Well Tempered Clavier lately.. there are some cool licks hiding in there..
    here is the first few bars of a Bach prelude.. I havn't been able to get this one super fast yet, I think the way the patterns I'm used to using fall in between two triplets is throwing me off.. anyways, maybe some of you guys might one rip off some Bach too...

Wyll

and here is a Bach prelude in G major.. just the first repeating part of it actually..

Wyll

Another Minor Pentatonic run, this ones in G. Nothing flashy, just going up the scale patterms on the top two strings, very useful for creating a nice tension before exploding into a huge bend

You can do this on any adjacent strings going up the scale patterns or string skipping as well. You could also try to incorporate bends, and tappings and different rythmic structures that suit your style better.

Thanks for the comments thorsten!
    Last edited by Koala; 07-17-2003 at 06:10 AM.

Well now that we got our little section under way in here id like to propose a standard file naming format so that when we (or at least I ) download all these licks n riffs n runs and put em all into a folder i know what theyre all about.

How about using a format like this

Key - Scale or scales its in - any additional comment

Any other ideas for naming files are more than welcome.

GREAT LICKS EVRYONE! GREAT SONGS WYLL, jk jk. how long does it take you to write all that down in ptab? probablly less than itll take me to learn it all!!!!

Shred on...on....on
    Last edited by Koala; 07-17-2003 at 06:13 AM.

Symmetrical sort of Dim Lick

Diminished scale Lick(Sort of).
    This is based on some crazy licks I used to improvise that actually don't fit into any scale but I made parts of these fit the diminished scale.
    Best when the ascending and descending half-steps are pseudo- randomized. The other thing is once this gets going there is no real need to contain ones self within the confines of the dim scale.
    The constant half step motion makes it "make sense"(or Nonsense) regardless of key or tonality. So since it is equally outside it just doesn't matter. But it sounds cool, (and is easy to play) and that is what matters doesn't it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by szulc; 07-17-2003 at 11:59 AM.
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

Strange Beautiful / Normal Ugly

PTB of above including some other strange dim like ideas.
    Hidden Content

great licks Szulc

Here are some more licks guys.. first two are licks similar to stuff you can hear in Gypsy jazz and new acoustic music.. Django and Tony Rice use similar things to end or start solo sections..

the next one is sort of a slow arp that sounds cool.. let all notes ring as long as you can.. this is another lick borrowing ideas from Shawn Lane..

the last lick is sort of outside sounding, first part is sort of similar to the kinda-diminished things szulc showed us..

Later,
    Wyll

Central Scrutinizer

Bucket Full O' Licks

Here's A collection of Classic Licks and Variations

I've each one set up to repeat 24times with progession to play lick over. You can/should also slow down the tempo if need be if ya wanna learn the lick clean

I always recommend to save the powertab your learning under a new name. For example if your learn Over the Mountain save a second copy as something like OvertheMountainA or something.
    That way you can add repeats to sections you wanna prac over and over and also slow down the tempo. You could, of course do that anyway, but you might mess up your orginal tab and have to download it all over again, and wadda doing downloading tabs for when you should be practicing.

Anyways, I think there's some good bulding block licks in there for those just learnin to solo.

P.S. Hopefully Powertab dosen't mess up my text again my version looks fine right now, but just in case the words look a little funny you may have to put the text back outta the way.
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

Central Scrutinizer
    Here's a little live thing you can fine sum the above licks crammed into in someway shape or form. It's live and IMO the phrases are a bit rushed and sloppy in spots, but hey that's why the call it live.
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

Well this is a riff I like to play when improvising. Im guessing its inspired by jimi hendrix (my idol incase the handle didnt give that away already!!). I havent as yet got the power tab downloaded, so I hope no one is too annoyed if I bend the rules this once and put up my mp3 till I have the program

By the way Bash...nice file. Very melodic, Is it just me or does that also have a touch of hendrix in it?
    Last edited by videochile; 07-19-2003 at 12:07 PM.

Bash,
    I like the percussive parts! 36-50 and 110-115.
    Hidden Content