Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Smooth Jazz Guitar - Need Help!

Smooth Jazz Guitar - Need Help!

Hey everybody. - It's been a while.

I've been working hard these days. I was being obsessed with Joe Satriani only to find out that I'm in love with smooth jazz.

Do you have any recommendations to any book, web - site, articles... anything that has to do with smooth jazz.

Just to mention I'm completely new to jazz, I need everything from the beginning.

Much appreciated

Not so much smooth jazz specifially, but Guitar Seeds by Jack Grassel is an OUTSTANDING study book for any kind of jazz guitar. There's a bunch of really great technique and theory stuff in it, literally years of study involved. He also has some books on simultaneous chords, bass, and melody, but that stuff isn't as universally applicable as Guitar Seeds IMO. It's all available from his website www.jackgrassel.com. I really found his book helpful for sight harmonization of melodies...

.....I really found his book helpful for sight harmonization of melodies...
    That one thing would be worth the price of the book.

Here are somethings I found helpful.

Easy chords to jazz standards.
    http://www.ralphpatt.com/Song.html

Accept the fact that the keys will be different that what you probably are used to playing. We are not normally the lead instrument in jazz so the keys revolve around what the horns as well as the vocalist want. Using the Vanilla book will ease you into jazz. Google can call up the lyrics and if you combine the two you will end up with some pretty good fake chord sheet music.

JazzBooks.com
    http://www.aebersold.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
    Wealth of study here. The play-a-long CD's are a lot of fun.

Call up an Internet radio station and listen to a lot of jazz. And yes, I prefer Easy Listing Jazz, but, listen to the old stuff as well. Go to your public library and get some books on the history of Blues and jazz. IMHO Blues became Jazz when people started hunting for better ways to harmonize the melody, i.e. when they starting adding the extensions (making fancy chords) not just relying upon the three basic major chords to harmonize the melody. Although I have not read the book CC323 talked about -- being able to sight read harmony chords would be a step in the right direction.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 12-22-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm
    That one thing would be worth the price of the book.

Here are somethings I found helpful.

Easy chords to jazz standards.
    http://www.ralphpatt.com/Song.html

Accept the fact that the keys will be different that what you probably are used to playing. We are not normally the lead instrument in jazz so the keys revolve around what the horns as well as the vocalist want. Using the Vanilla book will ease you into jazz. Google can call up the lyrics and if you combine the two you will end up with some pretty good fake chord sheet music.

JazzBooks.com
    http://www.aebersold.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
    Wealth of study here. The play-a-long CD's are a lot of fun.

Call up an Internet radio station and listen to a lot of jazz. And yes, I prefer Easy Listing Jazz, but, listen to the old stuff as well. Go to your public library and get some books on the history of Blues and jazz. IMHO Blues became Jazz when people started hunting for better ways to harmonize the melody, i.e. when they starting adding the extensions (making fancy chords) not just relying upon the three basic major chords to harmonize the melody. Although I have not read the book CC323 talked about -- being able to sight read harmony chords would be a step in the right direction.

Good luck.
    thanx for all the info! really very helpful!

Joe Satriani is awesome, always a good reference! As far as websites go, Jazzbooks.com is pretty sound