Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for begginers?

Tips for begginers?

Hey guys, I am making a christmas gift for my little brother who has just started playing the guitar. He has taken to it quite fast and I was wanting to accumulate alot of the old lesson material and instructional material that I had and put it all in a book for him so that he can have it all right there and it'll be something cool his older brother made. However I was wanting to start it off with tips on playing and tips for begginers. Just guitar playing tips in general.

Like one of them I am going to say is "Always use your finger tips"

and "always have fun and try not to get discouraged or mad. But when you do get discouraged or mad, just try harder."

Stuff like that, and I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some guitar playing tips, or tips for begginers learning how to play guitar.

I would greatly appriciate it!

Thanks guys,

ryan

Artistically Bankrupt
    "You gotta like the music first. Most good guitar players, if you took away their guitars, would grab a different instrument and start over because it is the music that has them enthralled. Most guitar players who simply quit after a few months and learning a few chords are guys who wanted to "be" a guitar player."

How arrogant of me to put my own quote in quotation marks...
    "If a child learns which is jay and which is sparrow, he'll no longer see birds nor hear them sing."

Quote Originally Posted by Blutwulf
    "You gotta like the music first. Most good guitar players, if you took away their guitars, would grab a different instrument and start over because it is the music that has them enthralled. Most guitar players who simply quit after a few months and learning a few chords are guys who wanted to "be" a guitar player."

How arrogant of me to put my own quote in quotation marks...
    But hey, arrogance... There's another quality you need!
    "I'm great and I don't care what anyone thinks" - will certainly get you a lot further than "I dunno if I'm any good... what do you think?"
    People may not LIKE you as a person of course. But what genius ever cared about that?

(Er, I guess this may not be good advice for a little brother... )

I think I'd say: "Don't forget RHYTHM and TIMING. However fast and flashy your fingers may get, it don't mean nothing if it's out of time, or if it doesn't groove."

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" - Duke Ellington.
    "It don't move if it ain't got that groove" - me. ("It won't scan if you ain't got a plan??" )

Stress that there are two ways to play a song; 1) melody notes and 2) chord accompaniment.

I think playing an entire song is the quickest way to build confidence and the quickest way to do that is to use chord accompaniment while his voice provides the melody.

http://www.ezfolk.com/guitar/lessons/gifts/gifts.html
    Try the gifts from the gods segment for some easy songs.

By the way --- that's a great idea. I'm sure your brother will appreciate your efforts.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 12-11-2008 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutwulf
    Most guitar players who simply quit after a few months and learning a few chords are guys who wanted to "be" a guitar player.
    Hmmm, reminds me of a "guitar player" I was in a band with briefly. He never quit, but fit this description perfectly. In fact, the last phone call we had, he told his wife to quit interupting him because he was in the middle of a "business" call (quite serious business it was too, with us all playing in the singers garage ) Here is a quote from him: "Learning the actual notes of the solo is too much work, but my solo's sound great and Rock Harder than the original." His "solo's" were all minor pentatonic, ALWAYS...with some forays into sour note territory just to keep it interesting.

Anyway, back to the OT...this is a great idea!
    I agree with the idea he must have an interest in the music. Having a role model to help him along is something very valuable...Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimmie Vaughan come to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Madaxeman
    Here is a quote from him: "Learning the actual notes of the solo is too much work"
    Well, I agree with him there, up to a point.
    Learning solos is good practice, and teaches you a lot. (And it should be fun, not hard work.) But you shouldn't aim to repeat them note for note when you perform the song, IMO. Even if your own solos aren't as good.
    Of course, if he actually said "my solos sound great and Rock Harder than the original" - and they didn't - he was an idiot.

Great guys. keep them coming!! I need a whole lot more!

Quote Originally Posted by JonR
    Of course, if he actually said "my solos sound great and Rock Harder than the original" - and they didn't - he was an idiot.
    Yes, he did... (they didn't ) and, he was!

Carvanite, give him a chart of the major scales, and a 12-bar blues pattern on a lead sheet. Teach him some solo patterns as he progresses to play over them.
    I-IV-V
    C-F-G
    G-C-D
    D-G-A
    etc....

Thats instructional stuff I am going to give him. What I am going for with this thread are quotes & tips.

Oh, got it...
    Here is a good one, "Try to keep your fingers arched (the natural way) when playing, don't get in the habit of forcing them concave. Your joints will thank you!"

"Wes Montgomery played impossible things on the guitar because it was never pointed out to him that they were impossible. " - Ronnie Scott - Jazz saxophonist
    Last edited by Madaxeman; 12-11-2008 at 04:20 PM.

If it hurts... stop! (aside from developing those finger calluses)

and, ofc, yoda is great for inspiration.

"Do or Do not, there is no try"

I used to have that printed out and taped over the wall where i practiced drums as a kid.

DUDE! And all of us guys love yoda! Sweet! Thanks!

And Madaxe those two were great!

You got to play it one song at a time.

You do your best even on bad nights.

There is no I in Band.

The guys are great and make me sound better.

We all learn from each other.

Baseball is a simple game, you throw the ball, you catch the ball and you hit the ball and sometime it rains and then of course there is no crying in baseball, upps got my sayings mixed up.

JonR's post reminded me of one. creatively speaking most people when you hear them discussing theory, they often speak about harmony or what scale to use with what chords or whatever. but you never really hear about what time to play stuff, the rhythm the timing. so really to me, rhythm and timing creatively is really underrated. because after all in music there is only 12 different notes. everything else is when you play them.
    Last edited by fingerpikingood; 12-13-2008 at 11:22 PM.

Very good observation, while there are only 12 notes, there is technically no limitation on the possibilities of where to put notes in a bar. Beyond 128th notes, it's kind of unnoticiable at even upper 'largo' tempoes, but it's technically still notatable, whereas with pitch even glissandos are just kind of a 'go from here to here' notation with not much real specificity.

Chris