Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me find SAD/DEPRESSING SONGS!!!!!

on type o..

yeah, I agree.. alot of their music is very funny.. I think that's one of the things that makes them a great band and sets them apart.. there are a few tracks by them that I see as 'seriously' sad and depressing though..

while not really depressing I think some of Tools music would qualify as sad, or at least darkly reflective..

sadness and depression are such common states that there are thousands and thousands of artists writing such music.. thankfully there are some happy songs out there too..

Later,
    Wyll

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    I'd say the old Leonard Cohen (from the late 60s or early 70s, at least). Plus, almost any Country & Western tunes listened to after say a 6-pack should do it.

I know I suggest this for most requests for music of any kind, and please don't try this at home, but try "Mandy" or "Danke Shein" after, say, a quad espresso or something similarly 'stimulating'. I think they will each prove suitably depressing, after you get thru the gut-wrenching nausea, of course.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Someone mentioned Nick Cave? He's one seriously depressed man. I saw him on an Australian show called "Club Buggery" (it's hard to explain if you don't get it), which was a comdey variety show.. And in the interview, he was as dark as can be, very morbid.

Another person I can think of who seems depressed is Mark Knopfler. Watching him in concert, he'll finish off a song, the crowd will be cheering and he looks like he's ready to go off stage and have a cry. Brothers in Arms is a sad song.

From Dream Theater, there's Space Dye Vest and Disappear. Along the same lines as Space Dye, a lot of Chromakey (Kevin Moore) is mellow and/or depressed. Then there's To Live Forever... that's a miserable song. Wait for Sleep, Learning to Live. A Change of Seasons too, in parts.

From TransAtlantic, there's Bridge Across Forever. It's on the album of the same name, but it's pretty much an individual Neal Morse song.

Fade to Black from Metallica. To Bid You Farewell by Opeth. A lot of Pain of Salvation is depressing, especially A Trace of Blood.

"My Immortal" - Evanescence
    "Fade To Black" - Metallica ( try the Apocalyptica-version also )
    "No Quarter" - Led Zeppelin
    "Alone I Breathe" - Savatage ( at the same time, very uplifting )
    A bunch of songs by Kīs Choice

Gotta agree to "Space-Dye Vest"... I remember when I first heard it, winter of 94... it was cold & dark outside, snow all over the place, and that song definitely contributed to my melancholic mood back then...

"Through Her Eyes" and "Hollow Years"- Dream Theater
    ( again, both sad and uplifting... the chorus of "Hollow Years" still gives me goosebumps )

"Donīt Leave Me Now", "Hey You", "Is There Anybody Out There", "HIGH HOPES" by Pink Floyd

" I Love Rockīn Roll " in the Britney Spears version! Can it get more depressing then this...?

Other then that...I guess anything by The Cure! If you donīt feel like jumping off the cliff after one of their records youīre already dead...

Seriously..."Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness" by The Smashing Pumpkins is a very beautiful and sad album. Check it out!

TK

My favorite sad song is "Sad Lisa" by Cat Stevens.

It even has a sad title.
    The Joy is in the Journey

Chech out The Final Cut by Pink Floyd, most of the album is pretty sad but the title track is a true wrist slasher.

"Top Gun-theme" - Satriani (still makes me cry... You're the man, Satch! )

Seriously, what about "love bites" by Def Leppard?
    Greg

The "Top Gun Anthem" is not by Joe Satriani, itīs by Steve Stevens & Harold Faltermeyer. And I agree, itīs very pretty.

"Love Bites"... I once watched some Def Leppard home-video, and on there was a live-version of it. At the end, the band started to jam a bit on the verse-chords. Collen and Campbell started playing some very cool solos, both emotional and melodic ( with some killer-licks thrown in in between ). I really got goosebumps from watching that...
    Eric

Originally posted by EricV
    The "Top Gun Anthem" is not by Joe Satriani, itīs by Steve Stevens & Harold Faltermeyer. And I agree, itīs very pretty.
    AAAARRGH!!! I've been living a lie!!
    Oh well, life goes on...
    Greg

Mod
    I hate it when that happens

I found this at a Q&A:

"Q: When was made the metal version of (Mission Impossible, Top Gun, etc) theme by Joe, and where can we find it?
    A: That's just a hoax! I never recorded anything by that name... It's been reported that version floating around is actually by Dream Theater. *Joe also didn't play the Top Gun theme or Over The Rainbow that commonly get shared with his name on them. "

Gee, do I feel stupid...
    Greg

Mod
    just about anything by Alice in chains or jerry cantrell.....It just kinda smacked me in the face, I'm thinking what are some depressing bands, and I've got a jerry cantrell album playing, it was so obvious, and I didn't even notice.....dur dur dur

Actually, I've heard it was Eddie Van Halen who did the Top Gun song.

anything by david gray especially "this years love" and "the other side" i definetly know u will cry to one of them!!!