Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: New and already short on confidence

Unhappy New and already short on confidence

Hi,
    I am new here. I am 26 years old and have been trying to learn guitar for some time now, but havent got through anywhere. I took classes from a local institue for abt 7 months but am still nowhere.Most of it is due to lack of regular practice from my side. But I am very serious about learning the guitar, coz thats one thing i wanna do before I die. Any pointers about how to start would be appreciatted. I can play a few chords and rythms but my left hand pinky finger and ring finger have no strength.

Hi ... welcome to the forum .

Quote Originally Posted by dNegi
    thats one thing i wanna do before I die.
    Good. Because that's exactly the attitude you're going to need!

At lot of guys here will tell you to find a good teacher. That's fine in principle, but often very far from fine in practice. And in any case, you already tried a version of that with 7 months at the local classes.

The best modern instructional DVD's are fantastic, & vastly better than most older videos (with a couple of very notable exceptions).

If you're just getting started, and assuming you’d really like to play flashier lead solos rather than just basic chords, then I highly recommend Danny Gill's first Lick Library DVD, Rock Essentials ie this one http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0411735/details.html

From there you can go on to his 2nd DVD, ie this one http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/068325/details.html

You'll also need a good theory book with clear diagrams for scale patterns, for which I don't think you can do better than Guthrie Govan's first book, ie Creative Guitar Vol-1, Cutting Edge Techniques, ie this http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/042224/details.html.

All the best,

Ian.

Disclaimer - I have absolutely no connection with any of the stuff mentioned above .

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dNegi
    Most of it is due to lack of regular practice from my side. But I am very serious about learning the guitar, coz thats one thing i wanna do before I die.
    If you are serious, then regular practice should be no problem. Even more, regular practice is what you should be craving for.
    Another thing is what do you want to learn? Want to become shreder? Improvizer? Play chords with songs? etc. DIfferent things to learn to achieve each goal.
    Let us know.
    And practice. EACH day!
    Last edited by LaughingSkull; 08-25-2008 at 03:35 PM.

IMHO best way to build confidence is to be able to play a song from start to finish.

Songs contain single note melody and chord harmony.
    Easiest way to do those two things at the same time is to use your voice for the single note melody and use your guitar for the chord harmony.

Use Google to find fake chord sheet music on a favorite song - these key words should work -- guitar chords, "name of the song" -- the comma and the quote marks are important.

In case you need a chord generator:
    http://www.looknohands.com/chordhous.../index_db.html

You will have to work at being able to sing and play chords at the same time, but, well worth the effort - don't give up.

That ring and pinky finger -- weak, as have something wrong with them or weak from not being used? If the latter, use them. If the other there are always more than one way to make any chord - you just have to find the best way for you, i.e. open G tuning perhaps or four string chords with the root on the first string -- many things you can do. If this is a problem I'm sure someone here has the answer.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 08-25-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Hey guys thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions, you guys do take care of the newbies.

I will be starting regular practice in a week as am going out of town for a week, and my guitar isnt going wid me (too bad). Could anyone tell me where to start from, coz one thing I have understood is I need to practice a lot. But I am not sure what to practice. I play the chromatic scale and some chord progressions everytime I hold the guitar, but thats what I been doing for a long time.

Is there a list of things or a plan for a beginner like me that tells me what to practice and then how to move along. Or should I keep learning songs one by one.

Any suggestions would be reatly appreciated as are the replies to my prev post. Thanks you guys, with your help I hope I learn the guitar.

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    You'll get probably a lot of responses to this one, but first ... tell us what you want to achieve.
    Learning songs is always good. Chords progressions ... excellent. Chromatic scales .... mostly useless. Start with major scales ... use alt picking, so you will be practicing that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingSkull
    Chromatic scales .... mostly useless.
    Ha,ha ... yep!

And the surprising thing is that guys sometimes post here saying they've spent years practicing alternate picking on chromatic 4-note excercises! Why? LoL .

I wonder where they ever got that chormatic scale idea (OK, I know where they got it form, there are bits of it in Speed Mechanics and in Batio's 2nd DVD, and maybe also in Petrucci's videos iirc).

Ian.

Spent my working life at 30,000 feet. Grab a theory book for the flight. Or print off some of the articles here and take a couple with you.

The one thing I'm gonna do before I die is set up my own music federation! It will be located in Jamaica, where I will spend the rest of my life, once it's set up, and it will help musicians all over the world achieve fame, profit and good music - without whoring them the way present record companies do. Only good music will be allowed into the Music Federation.

That's my "one thing". It's been my "one thing" for years. Before I die, that's what I'm gonna do. I have other aims... peace in palestine, a billion dollars, marrying the most beautiful woman in my world (beauty measured by personality as much as attention and care of her body), but the one that I know I will definitely manage, since it's the thing I'm most keen on, is my Music Federation.

I don't know where this line is from, but it's always been true of me:

"Music is my first love, and it will be my last"
    equality doesn't come in parts

Quote Originally Posted by middleway
    The one thing I'm gonna do before I die is set up my own music federation! It will be located in Jamaica, where I will spend the rest of my life, once it's set up, and it will help musicians all over the world achieve fame, profit and good music - without whoring them the way present record companies do. Only good music will be allowed into the Music Federation.
    Good luck with that. If you managed to do it, I'm sure by that time I'll have a little something for you to help me get fame and profit. Good music, eh.... it'll come to me eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossroads
    And the surprising thing is that guys sometimes post here saying they've spent years practicing alternate picking on chromatic 4-note excercises! Why? LoL .
    I've done chromatic exercises in the past, and they were good chopbuilders for the first month or two. After that, you really should be getting on theory and real alternate picking licks.

As to the original poster, I wish you luck! Motivation has been a problem for me too, but it helps me when I consider that whatever I am doing (watching TV, etc.) will not get me anywhere in life while guitar will!

Also, don't worry too much about that pinky and ring finger. Just keep using them and they'll get stronger. A couple months ago I realized I had better start using my pinky or else I'd never get around to it... my advice is to never ignore that handy fourth finger.

Also be sure to practice the following things:
    Arpeggios
    Rythm
    Scales
    Alternate Picking
    Theory
    Eartraining
    Sightreading
    And also just knowing the notes on the fretboard

Anyone have anything else to add onto this list?

adozenfuries715
    Welcome Sir, i'm also new here in the forums.

Hi there, I'm 32 yrs old and I've been a member for some time now but rarely (if at all) post. I've been playing for just over two years and am mostly self taught. I play mainly blues from BB King to Jimi Hendrix (which I am learning songs at the moment). I have been to lessons with 2 or 3 different tutors but felt that by the time an hour had gone by I hadn't actually learned much and for a 30yr old guy with a family, £20.00 a lesson was a lot! So as most, I bought various books and DVD's and picked parts out of each to suit my tastes.

I don't have a lot of time between my two boys who play soccer and my wife, so I try to put aside 1-2 hours a night (monday to friday) and then as much on the weekends as possible. It all depend (IMO) what you want to learn and how stringent you want the learning to be. I went throught stages of learning the pentatonic scale (Minor) every night for weeks. Got bored moved on to something else and then revisited again later to brush up. I find that learning new things as well as trying to play along to your favourite songs/artists and doing the theory really helps.

If you feel you are getting in a rut and loosing interest or patience, put the guitar down for an hour, day, week. Because I know that with commitments the last thing you want to loose is the only interest all of us have on this forum...guitar.

It is truly a wonderful instrument that you can play with feeling and emotion and let it all out.

Try playing along to your favourite songs as I said and remember, if you can't quite get the note right or can't play something difficult, the artist you adore has been playing for many years and it didn't come to them that easy either.
    Believe me, you will get it right, just have a little patience...oh and enjoy it!

Duffy