Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: wrong chords

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    258

    wrong chords

    leegordo hererecently I was hauled up before one of our self-appointed watch-dogs , for stating that some guys on T.V were playing the wrong chords during a short piece of music. both guys on the guitars were really concentrating on the music, but ,whilst one guy was playing a recognisable little single note phrase the guy on the chord guitar played the totally wrong set of chordsI! I could see him, and hear him doing so.
    I was told to be more tolerant , and , anyways I was probably mistaken , I just feel that the two guitarists were not really familiar with the tune, and were not ready to play the piece. Never the less, the presenter proceeded to enthusiastically thank them for their out of tune efforts. I just thought that THAT could'nt have happened years ago because THEN, nearly everybody played music that was well-known and popular with general audiences, and, incidentaly also familiar to the performers Also, I assume it was caused by the guys being unable to read music in the first place

  2. #2
    Registered User jimc8p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by http://thetranshumanist.blogspot.com/
    The Doomsday Luddites are temperamentally inclined fatalists who like to assure us that progress is an illusion, new technology doomed to fail, and thus all effort ultimately futile. Doom mongering—the tendency to see the glass half empty—is characteristic of a neurotype predisposing to low mood and accompanying pessimism. It is particularly common among aging males—due perhaps to a combination of fading testosterone and failed life dreams (nature and nurture). I call it Grumpy Old Man Philosophy.
    ...

  3. #3
    Registered User JonR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Twickenham, UK
    Posts
    4,959
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    leegordo hererecently I was hauled up before one of our self-appointed watch-dogs , for stating that some guys on T.V were playing the wrong chords during a short piece of music. both guys on the guitars were really concentrating on the music, but ,whilst one guy was playing a recognisable little single note phrase the guy on the chord guitar played the totally wrong set of chordsI! I could see him, and hear him doing so.
    I was told to be more tolerant , and , anyways I was probably mistaken , I just feel that the two guitarists were not really familiar with the tune, and were not ready to play the piece. Never the less, the presenter proceeded to enthusiastically thank them for their out of tune efforts. I just thought that THAT could'nt have happened years ago because THEN, nearly everybody played music that was well-known and popular with general audiences, and, incidentaly also familiar to the performers Also, I assume it was caused by the guys being unable to read music in the first place
    Can you give us a youtube link? I'd love to see that.
    I don't know if you're wrong or right, but we need to see (and hear) it to judge for ourselves.
    Unless perhaps you can tell us exactly what the chords were, and exactly what the notes used over them were...

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by JonR
    Can you give us a youtube link? I'd love to see that.
    I don't know if you're wrong or right, but we need to see (and hear) it to judge for ourselves.
    Unless perhaps you can tell us exactly what the chords were, and exactly what the notes used over them were...
    hi JonR, I unfortunately only heard a short part of the Prog. on T.V.
    You forget that I can actually hear that the guys on guitar were mistakenly playing wrongly , which one was the correct one could be either one of them, please don't tell me that I can't tell when music is played wrong.........I would'nt post in unless I was certain. What disgusts me is your determined support of over-rated amateurs.. You also forget that I rely exclusively on the accuracy of my hearing which has NEVER let me down in over 70 yrs. I do admit however, that all the stuff that I know about in the popular field contains only a small amount of classical music, I wonder when is the last time that you climbed down from your lofty perch, and admitted ANYTHING !
    In the example which I used . it was a t.v. Prog. wherein I could also see the guitarists' Hands , but I will admit AGAIN that I don't know what the wrong chords were! You see? that's because my ear is good enough to tell me when something is wrong Could YOU tell what chords were wrong in a snatch of music without recording and T/scribing ,ecpecially an unknown piece NO ? I'll bet! hardly any body could!
    leegordo

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    266
    Ok Leegordo, lets just test your hearing of proper chords:

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=616uB9XktI4

    listen to that and tell me how many chords are not right.

  6. #6
    Registered User JonR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Twickenham, UK
    Posts
    4,959
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    hi JonR, I unfortunately only heard a short part of the Prog. on T.V.
    You forget that I can actually hear that the guys on guitar were mistakenly playing wrongly , which one was the correct one could be either one of them, please don't tell me that I can't tell when music is played wrong.........I would'nt post in unless I was certain. What disgusts me is your determined support of over-rated amateurs..
    Define "over-rated amateurs". I'm not aware of supporting any such people, but I probably define them differently from you. (I have nothing against amateurs, but I don't like to see anyone over-rated, even professionals. )

    I would agree with you that musical skill unfortunately does not correlate with success, financial or otherwise. It never has. Great musicians often - tho not always - need to "sell their soul" to make it big. Inferior musicians can become successful thanks to other skills, or simply to luck (good looks, good agent, etc). There are many highly gifted musicians who languish in poverty or obscurity because they lack that luck or those other skills.
    This is a shame, but there's no sense getting irritated by it.
    I think where you and I would disagree is that I often see value in amateur music. Technique may be crude, but the sound and the experience can often be enjoyable. (More often, perhaps, it isn't, but there you go.)
    AFAIK, I haven't actually seen what I would call bad musicians feted for their musicianship in the mass media. (They may be feted for other things, which is almost as annoying.)
    That's why I was very interested in your specific example.
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    You also forget that I rely exclusively on the accuracy of my hearing which has NEVER let me down in over 70 yrs.
    I don't doubt that.
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    I do admit however, that all the stuff that I know about in the popular field contains only a small amount of classical music, I wonder when is the last time that you climbed down from your lofty perch, and admitted ANYTHING !
    I admit stuff all the time! (Including mistakes... )
    I might well agree fully with you on this occasion. But I need to see the excerpt to judge! Would you agree with me, if I simply told a similar story? Wouldn't you want to hear for yourself? Or are you content just to rant in agreement about how awful the world is today?
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    In the example which I used . it was a t.v. Prog. wherein I could also see the guitarists' Hands , but I will admit AGAIN that I don't know what the wrong chords were! You see? that's because my ear is good enough to tell me when something is wrong Could YOU tell what chords were wrong in a snatch of music without recording and T/scribing ,ecpecially an unknown piece NO ?
    Of course I could. Almost anyone - even non-musicians - can tell when a wrong note is being played, because it will clash with the chord. Or vice versa (wrong chord clashing with a melody note). In some cases (perhaps the case in question) it might go by too quick for most to notice. Or some people might think it was a deliberate "jazz" note - "sounded wrong to me, but I guess they meant it"

    There is a grey area (with an unknown piece) where a composer might deliberately choose a strange chord, an unusual harmony or dissonance. Such a chord may sound "wrong" to some listeners, but it is actually "right" of course, in that it's quite intentional. It's supposed to sound that way.
    If there is improvisation involved, then an improviser should still take note of this strange chord, and choose notes accordingly.

  7. #7
    Registered User JonR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Twickenham, UK
    Posts
    4,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Teletubby
    Ok Leegordo, lets just test your hearing of proper chords:

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=616uB9XktI4

    listen to that and tell me how many chords are not right.
    LOL. That keyboard player is obviously miming! You can tell his hands aren't playing those notes. [Sigh] Why can't they just hire cartoon characters who can play?? (I bet he only got the job because of his looks...)

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    12
    Lee. I don't know you, but I know that you are not the end all, be all of music. What gives you the right to tell people what they're playing is wrong? If they made mistakes, so be it, nobody's perfect. Can they be faulted? I say no.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by ZakJenkins
    Lee. I don't know you, but I know that you are not the end all, be all of music. What gives you the right to tell people what they're playing is wrong? If they made mistakes, so be it, nobody's perfect. Can they be faulted? I say no.
    Hi Zak, I mention mistakes on T.V. solely because those guys I refer are getting paid lots of cash because they are supposed to be so-o-great !Like, so great, that they are playing the music Wrong ? Get your priorities Right Mate!!!

Similar Threads

  1. New to playing
    By lambtron in forum Getting Started
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 07:49 AM
  2. Why does so much acoustic music use open chords?
    By marrkus in forum Music Theory
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 11:03 PM
  3. How many key changes (modulating) during a song is too much? (Breaking out of 1 key)
    By stikygum in forum Composition, Arranging & Analysis
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 04:26 AM
  4. Wrong chords in fake books?
    By leppard81 in forum iBreathe Cafe
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 02:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •