Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Absolute Pitch problems

Absolute Pitch problems

I'm doing Masterclass 23 ( David LB ) ( Which means that I'm polishing my 'Absolute Pitch' technique ). I can name any tone within 0.5 seconds and two harmonic tones in 1 - 1.5 seconds.

However, I feel like I'm not using AP to identify all the tones. There are actually only two tones that I think I know completely by ear and that is because of tunes that start with them. The rest of the tones seem to come to me at a superspeed through relative pitch.

These 'worries' might be unnecessary, perhaps I just need to take more time and listen to the individual tones?

AFAIK, any way of you naming that tone through absolute pitch is good. As long as you don't use rely on "vocal strain pitch" (is that the proper name?) and use a combination of absolute and relative pitch, it should be good. Eventually, all the notes will come naturally, I guess. Not that I have PP, but that's the way I understood Burge teaches it.

Thanks for the feedback. You're probably right. I've been testing myself a little with ToneQuiz now. I get one tone wrong in about 100. ( 1 tone at a time played for a second ).