Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 59

Thread: Articles, and activity of the site...

  1. #16
    Registered User superlocrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    116
    I still cannot for the life of me understand why some have such a problem with what Carvinite stated.

    Firstly, he has the right to think and state whatever he likes (keeping within the rules of course) and doesn't need to be grilled by anybody else. Ibreathe doesn't need any defending by any brave knights in shiny armour.

    Secondly, his point on the articles was perfectly valid. As I stated before, I have also wondered what happened to the articles. Yes they are free and we can't assume that there SHOULD be an article every so often, but the fact is I as well as many others were drawn to this site because of the well written and professional content. It is then logical to assume that if there are no more articles it may or may not equal less visits to the site, people may go elsewhere on the net. The trick to any healthy business is to keep the "customers" coming whether it is profit or non-profit.

    I personally don't have a problem with the lack of articles and will always be here for the forums, but I don't think Carvinite said anything out of line. PERIOD!

    Don't feel bad at all please bro, you are entitled to your own opinion.

  2. #17
    fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Britney's basement
    Posts
    1,072
    Quote Originally Posted by superlocrian
    I still cannot for the life of me understand why some have such a problem with what Carvinite stated.

    Firstly, he has the right to think and state whatever he likes (keeping within the rules of course) and doesn't need to be grilled by anybody else. Ibreathe doesn't need any defending by any brave knights in shiny armour.

    Secondly, his point on the articles was perfectly valid. As I stated before, I have also wondered what happened to the articles. Yes they are free and we can't assume that there SHOULD be an article every so often, but the fact is I as well as many others were drawn to this site because of the well written and professional content. It is then logical to assume that if there are no more articles it may or may not equal less visits to the site, people may go elsewhere on the net. The trick to any healthy business is to keep the "customers" coming whether it is profit or non-profit.

    I personally don't have a problem with the lack of articles and will always be here for the forums, but I don't think Carvinite said anything out of line. PERIOD!

    Don't feel bad at all please bro, you are entitled to your own opinion.
    I have to agree....Carvinite should not have to defend himself against these snarky replies. Although there are many great articles on the site, they DO NOT cover everything, and there is a heavy bias towards shred guitar. The forums are great, but not everyone likes the forum format for learning new information, and many prefer the organized layout of a good article. Compared to most other sites, ibreathe is outdated and behind the times, as other sites constantly add new information to keep visitors interested, and ibreathe just sort of...exists. "You're livin' in the 60's, man!" There should be more of an effort put forth by the site administrators to add content, revamp the site design, and to create more traffic for the site (thereby increasing your advertising opportunities to make more money to support new initiatives). Honestly, the homepage looks like a page thats 10-15 years old...I don't see how you can defend the lack of content for the site. Most other sites don't seem to have such a problem...Anyways guys, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. If you don't like it, T.S.
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

  3. #18
    Mode Rator Zatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Posts
    1,342
    We are alive but not quite kicking. That's true. No need to defend the lack of new content and deny the overall stagnation. We accept the criticism but currently that's just how it is and will be for some time until we find the ways to revive this place. There are many reasons for the situation, one of them being that admin/mod team totally lacks sufficient time to keep up the necessary pace. That's our pain too. We have a whole bunch of articles/initiatives started but not completed and a lot of issues pending for a long while now. But we all wish things would soon change for better and we appreciate your understanding and that you're staying with the community.
    Zadd9 -> A6 -> T#9b5 -> Zmaj7

  4. #19
    Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge
    Honestly, the homepage looks like a page thats 10-15 years old...I don't see how you can defend the lack of content for the site.
    Still much younger than I am. Or leegordo for that matter.
    Take your time guys, it's the quality that matters.

  5. #20
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatz
    We are alive but not quite kicking. That's true. No need to defend the lack of new content and deny the overall stagnation. We accept the criticism but currently that's just how it is and will be for some time until we find the ways to revive this place. There are many reasons for the situation, one of them being that admin/mod team totally lacks sufficient time to keep up the necessary pace. That's our pain too. We have a whole bunch of articles/initiatives started but not completed and a lot of issues pending for a long while now. But we all wish things would soon change for better and we appreciate your understanding and that you're staying with the community.
    I don't think it matters if we have any new articles or not. For example - we might write a dozen new articles, but then it would never be clear how many people had ever bothered to read them anyway.

    What matters is that the forum should stay active with lots of questions and answers.

    And it follows that we should encourage the most regular posters to be as active as they can. Not just replying to questions, but starting new threads by raising questions themselves. Or if they don't have any questions, then initiating discussions by talking about issues that have arisen in their playing (I suggested the same thing a year ago).

    Eg, those who teach regularly could tell us about issues that arise in their weekly/monthly lessons ... questions, answers, explanations, tips & ideas etc.

    It helps too that Laughing Skull makes a point of welcoming new members to the forum (New Members Zone), more of us should pull our weight on that (inc. me!).

    I think the graphic look of the site is fine, and much better than many other places.

    It would probably help if more mods posted replies on the forum. But I expect some have been frightened off by guys like JonR appearing so knowledgeable on theory, ie maybe the mods are concerned in case they appear less authoritative. But that's crazy. None of us should be concerned about appearing less knowledgeable than guys like Jon (he's an unsual exception ... and a vital active member here) ... because we are all here to learn things & improve our playing, inc. the mods.

    This forum remains the best place I know for serious information exchange on guitar/music (& other instruments too ... except they are nowhere near active enough on piano & classical etc.). AllAboutJazz has lots of good theory discussion, but it's far too pompous, argumentative, and arrogantly dismissive of anyone with less knowledge than God. Whereas this place is generally relaxed & polite (whilst being completely serious about music & playing).

    Just my 2:centís of course.

    Ian.

    Last edited by Crossroads; 11-22-2008 at 09:27 AM.

  6. #21
    Experimentalist Koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Behind you...
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossroads

    It would probably help if more mods posted replies on the forum. But I expect some have been frightened off by guys like JonR appearing so knowledgeable on theory, ie maybe the mods are concerned in case they appear less authoritative.

    If i kept my mouth shut around smarter people than myself, Id usually be quiet and would never learn much. Thats how I progress , I surround myslef with people who know waaaay more than I do, then pick their brains. Its been mostly a time issue that's kept us quieter than usual mate, us mods were never chosen for our brains. We were mostly selected for our wholesome manly sexyness.

  7. #22
    Since 1988 Carvinite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Koala
    us mods were never chosen for our brains. We were mostly selected for our wholesome manly sexyness.


    That is too true Koala, too true.

  8. #23
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,657
    Ha, ha ... well I don't care how anyone was selected, even if it was for their sexual prowess lol .

    If you don't mind posting answers, even when those answers are sometimes exposed as wrong, then good for you. Seriously! Because as you just said yourself, that IS one way we can all learn.

    It doesn't matter to me if experienced guys (or moderators) sometimes give explanations which have to be corrected. But I can think of several senior members here who appear to have left after being corrected lol. (No they we're not mods, but they were active "guru's" with lots of posts). I would have preferred them to stay, even if they felt they had lost some credibility...so what, no big problem.

    On a music forum, members may automatically assume that moderators must be fantastic players with great theory knowledge. But that's a completely unreasonable expectation.

    Answers here should be given as "advice" (same for articles), it's not infallible (whoever says it).

    Err....all except for me of course, because I'm always right, obviously .

    Ian


  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    439
    Contributions and knowledgeable feedback replys are why IBreatheMusic.com is one of the most respected Music(with an emphasis on Guitar) websites on the internet,

    members like Guni, EricV, ChrisJ, ThorstenK, etc are still contributing, and it is because of the quality of this website that they are continuing active members

    Objectively: The moderators here are intelligent, prudent, have good judgement, and generally give IBreatheMusic.com Community members the benefit of the doubt before taking any disciplinary action when inappropriateness is involved,

    while it's important to respect the knowledgeable members here, their valuable time, and their valuable advice,

    NO ONE should be intimidated to the extent that they won't ask for information about any topic that is talked about, theorized, etc at IBreatheMusic.com

    P.S. in regards to manly sexiness, I never knew that was the criteria Guni had stipulated in order to be one of our beloved moderators, congrats Koala, I'm sure UKRuss will be very happy to hear that!!! LOL
    Last edited by Schooligo; 06-15-2008 at 09:03 AM.
    "Success is arriving at a Personal Satisfaction within yourself"

    Dedicated To Guitar!!!

  10. #25
    Experimentalist Koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Behind you...
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossroads
    On a music forum, members may automatically assume that moderators must be fantastic players with great theory knowledge.
    and rightly so considering us mods are demi-gods. Still I should probablly say that we're not ALL sexy. UKRuss bribed us to get in...
    Last edited by Koala; 06-18-2008 at 02:03 AM. Reason: because i felt like it...

  11. #26
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Koala
    and rightly so considering us mods are demi-gods. Still I should probablly say that we're not ALL sexy. UKRuss bribed us to get in...
    OK, well just as long as your next article is about guitar/music, and not about sex lol !

    Although come to think of it, in the field of contemporary/"modern" music, sex appeal does appear to be a very important factor for commercial recognition .

    Back on topic - I wonder if there's a way to encourage more members/activity from classical violinists & pianists etc., as opposed to the present total domination by contemporary electric guitar.

    I don't have any specific ideas on how to do that (ie enlisting classical violinists etc.), and personally my interest is purely electric guitar anyway, but I think it would be a good thing if we could expand & diversify the forum in that way, and I think we'd probably all learn more from one-another .

    Ian.


  12. #27
    Registered User Obivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    301
    I think it would be pretty cool if Jon R wrote some articles. I swear, that man is second only to God on theory knowledge.

    As for attracting other musicians, I think the thing is that most of the articles are generally written specifically for guitar, looking back over Eric V's awesome articles for example, stuff such as the tabs and the picking studies and the streched pentatonics etc. aren't much use to Violin players. Maybe if some folks got writing some for piano, violin etc, they would be more popular. Or you can always go and hold up your local orchestra!
    No one sings the blues quite like Yngwie!

  13. #28
    Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by Obivion
    I think it would be pretty cool if Jon R wrote some articles. I swear, that man is second only to God on theory knowledge.
    Don't blaspheme! Jon is second to none.
    His basic post are much better than articles on some other sites ...
    This is paradise. (for guitarists and theory geeks )

  14. #29
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by LaughingSkull
    Don't blaspheme! Jon is second to none.
    His basic post are much better than articles on some other sites ...
    This is paradise. (for guitarists and theory geeks )
    Yeah, but .... shush...don't frighten him off with too much praise! Anyway, personally I think he's probably making it all up .

    Ian.

  15. #30
    Mod
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,334
    I think the concern was based on the way Ibreathe used to operate. I as a hardcore Ibreather to now lurker I really miss the Ibreathe of old. But, I see a new fire that seems to still be here and is growing. Ibreathe isn't dead yet. Its just getting started.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •