Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Articles, and activity of the site...

Since this thread started, there still has not been a single new article added, so I would still like to see that happen. As for the forums, yes I agree they are still very much alive and are great tool for sharing knowledge etc.

As a recently new member, I'm finding the articles useful, even if they are a few years old. Each to their own though; info I may find useful, may not be as useful for smeone else. The forum seems quite active with some knowledgable peeps in there

Status

I have not been inspired lately to write an article.
    It is difficult to conjure an article from your mind/life/experience.
    I have some ideas on chord forms from diminished 7th forms but I feel like I touched on that in the forum.

Most of the readers want some panacea that will make them achieve high results with little or no effort or just some exercises to improve technique. My articles are usually about theory related ideas that usually take a little time and effort to achieve results.

In general the things that take time and are difficult are what is going to give long term results. While no amount of reading and studying technique and theory will result in "blowing over jazz changes" by themselves. Studying/Playing standard changes coupled with persistence and dedication and the former will.

I want some one to write an article that will teach me how to strengthen my left wrist so I can have a fluid and strong LH Vibratto technique. For some reason this seems to have gotten weaker over the years.
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

How funny... I just realized that I now can create new articles and make them go live myself. I was not aware of this, and I dont know when this was changed.
    I wrote the last article for ibreathe (the interview with Abi) sometime in 2006, and when that and other articles werent published (in the past, admins had to publish them on the site, and both Guni and Clive were really busy with some other projects), I kept waiting and eventually figured theyd be published eventually.
    I did ask for a new system where authors or moderators could check new articles and make them go live by themselves.
    Apparently, this was set up eventually, but I didnt know about it until today, when I logged into my article admin and noticed it.
    I made the interview with Abi (which also has an interesting little lesson on phrase syncopation) go live now, and Ihope you will enjoy it.

I wish I could promise to write a bunch of new articles soon, now that I have the tools to publish them ASAP. Unfortunately, there are quite a lot of things keeping me busy. The fact that I now am writing a monthly instructional column for the German GUITAR magazine is only one of them (others being band projects, workshops/clinics etc.), and even though there are a lot of topics to cover, Id prefer to focus mainly on that and not compete with it here too much (I hope you understand). I will try to provide some new articles in the future.
    I can make the articles of other columnists go online too, though. I saw one by Manuel Breul and one by Bizarro which arent published yet. I am not sure whether they are ready for publishing, but Ill look into it.
    So... the tools for new articles are there.
    Eric

5 years, still suck.. Leviathon's Avatar
    First Carvanite has every reason to state what he feels or address what he thinks may or may not happen. No need to raz the guy.

Second, this is a great site, regardless of the articles. They are a great resouce and I owe much of my musical/guitar journey to this site. Playing for almost six years now and this site is still a top choice when it comes to flat out guitar chops.

I like the articles and lessons, but the forums are great for advise and to gain general knowledge.

I have never been a huge contributor, but when I have some questions, I know that I can come here and get some answers from the best.
    "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathon
    First Carvanite has every reason to state what he feels or address what he thinks may or may not happen. No need to raz the guy.

Second, this is a great site, regardless of the articles. They are a great resouce and I owe much of my musical/guitar journey to this site. Playing for almost six years now and this site is still a top choice when it comes to flat out guitar chops.

I like the articles and lessons, but the forums are great for advise and to gain general knowledge.

I have never been a huge contributor, but when I have some questions, I know that I can come here and get some answers from the best.
    I like the quote in your signature where is it from?
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

I'm an objective musician/person, if you can demonstrate to me with facts a valid argument, I will gladly take that into account,

I took issue with carvinite's original comments because it created UNNECESSARY concern where there was little to no concern. and also could have done significant harm to the IBreatheMusic.com community.

of course anyone can say anything they want, including carvinite

but just because they can say anything they want, DOES NOT MEAN they will not be HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR WHAT THEY SAY.

if someone incorrectly says a Gmaj7th contains the notes g-c-d-e then that person should be corrected at IBreatheMusic.com so as not to lead other less knowledgeable musicians astray, and it is the RESPONSIBILITY of Knowledgeable IBreatheMusic.com community members to be active on the forums and make sure that information is helpful, true, and accurate.

otherwise if members of the IBreatheMusic.com community allow such fallacies to stay in print and not be corrected/held accountable in the following posts, then this site WILL actually be in decline and not be one of the most important musical websites on the internet,

as I've thoroughly mentioned in posts in this thread Carvinite is not a new member and has been around long enough to know how things are run around here, who the people are that administer this website and why they do the things they do.

if you read the posts carvinite says certain things that CLEARLY there was NO INDICATION that any of those issues were going to happen.
    it was only after I held him accountable for what he said that he later retracted his original comments and instead used the political correctness strategy(of instead admitting the error in his comments), saying "but what I meant to say was this blah blah blah"

but that is clearly not what he said originally, and due to that main fact I make no apologies and will not give any apologies for holding him accountable for what he did say,

if someone runs into a room and yells fire(when there is NO FIRE)the subsequent result is NOT productive, and all it does is create an UNNECESSARY PANIC, that is exactly what carvinites comments had the potential to do until I insisted he clarify his statements,

btw: it's great to see Eric V, and Szulc still around, it's a tribute to this website and it's members that IBreatheMusic.com continues to retain knowledgeable, professional, dedicated musicians who are and have been active valuable contributors to IBreatheMusic.com and its community of helpful knowledgeable musicians.
    Last edited by Schooligo; 12-07-2008 at 10:59 PM.
    "Success is arriving at a Personal Satisfaction within yourself"

Dedicated To Guitar!!!

Dude, you seriously need to chill. I belive that everyone here has read your thoughts on this over and over. Weather or not they agree with you or with me it doesn't matter.

I belive you quoted me as say "I wonder if they will even keep the forums goin?"

and that was a valid concern. I was not harming the public in anyway. at that point we had maybe 7 to 10 regular posters. While the admins were all pretty much non-existant. we also had a crazy spam raid on IBM. I don't think I was out of line when I saw a lack of leadership in the site and questioned weather or not it would continue to run. Or if it would be deemed a money pit for the admin's of the site (guni and clive)

I never created an issue, I never created an uproar of fear into everyone at IBM. Why would I want to do that? I was asking what people though may happen. I never said that it WOULD happen. That is one thing you clearly never understood.

and the only reason I ahd to clarify my statements is because you could not understand the first ones.

I never retracted what I said and said something different. I changed what I said so that you could understand it. most got what I was saying straight out of the chute, and not one person except for you feel that I was out of line.

EricV it's good to see you man.

Later,

Ryan

ha ha, I'm chill, carvinite/ryan

as you know I previously sent you a pm stating why you are wrong, and that we should agree to disagree, and since I was much less politically tactful in that pm(and even though at that time I will admit I was a little more frustrated with your comments), I had pretty much hoped that after that pm this disagreement would be left out of the forums,

however there are a number of people that keep bringing it up, so I will resolutely keep pointing out the error of that way of thinking.

I don't take any of this issue personally, unlike you I make judgements based on REAL observations and real Facts.

carvinite, not only did you create an unnecessary level of concern about the forums closing but you also said and I quote"
    I am afraid the site might close
    so carvinite are you just trying to create drama, and unnecessary panic when there is no indication that IBreatheMusic forums were closing or that the site would close?

you will not recieve ANY apology because what you originally said could have seriously harmed IBreatheMusic.com and it's community. and I gave clear concise examples of the type of unnecessary panic a comment like yours has very real potential to create a cause and negative effect.
    on 5-28-08 there NEVER was any indication from anyone that the forums were going to close, at the time they were just as active as they are today and thankfully they have been CONSISTENTLY active with knowledgeable actively participating members, so there was no "observation" since it never happened

so carvinite in the futue use some common sense, and actually base your concerns on ACTUAL REAL observations and real Facts
    Last edited by Schooligo; 12-08-2008 at 04:14 AM.
    "Success is arriving at a Personal Satisfaction within yourself"

Dedicated To Guitar!!!

Creating unnecessary panic would have been saying "the site is closing down, the forums are going to also. WOLF! WOLF! WOLF! IBM is no longer with us" blah blah blah blah.

As you quoted me saying "I" (remember that is referring to myself, nobody else) "am afraid the site might" (might or 'may happen to') "close"

Now think about that. What did I say? I expressed a concern over what I (me personally) had been witnessing at IBM. Now, weather or not we saw the same thing at IBM is another story. But, how in anyway did I cause a panic or frenzy?

I am not looking for some sort of apology, like you I was just hoping you would let this die, but I guess you just can't handle more people agreeing with me than already did.

And this observation stuff you keep bringing up. I can observe a sequence of events that could possibly lead to a conclusion. Thankfully my thought of what the conclusion of my observation may have been most likely will not happen any time soon. However at the time I had legitimate concern.

I disagree that the forums and the site were extremely active whenever I posted this. With the exception of the spam bots.

And that is okay. We can go back and fourth all day, you won’t change my views on that and I won’t change yours.

But what I said was never even close to harming the integrity or health of IBM.

This particular section of the forum is called Forum Announcements & Member Feedback. I posted this here to give MEMBER FEEDBACK to our admins and express my concerns about the site. I was not out of line.

Sorry if the flow is kinda out of whack, I am studying for final exams. My brain feels raped.

Peace,

Ryan
    Last edited by Carvinite; 12-08-2008 at 05:39 AM.

Schooligo, you've officially blown my mind with your overreaction.

FIrst of all, great to see you guys being around too! Feels almost like the good ol days!

Anyway, I hope that some of your concerns are gone now... there are tools in place to publish new articles, and Chris J. already said he was interested in doing so, and so we can slowly get this thing rolling again... more instructional material might bring new members, more talk at the forums... we will see =)

I hope you will enjoy the new stuff, and I hope we can get back to normal at some point. And that the discussion in this thread can be settled peacefully =)
    Eric

My concerns are now settled. especially after you were talking about the new system. sounds fantastic. The spam has been subdued. It seems good around here again.

I can't wait to hopefully see you around here more often eric. and is there anyway we can get ahold of some of that stuff you are doing for german GUITAR?

Eric,
    Nice to see you here again...it has been awhile!
    It is actually encouraging to hear you are too busy to be as active as awhile ago!

Artistically Bankrupt
    Good Lord, what a thread.
    "If a child learns which is jay and which is sparrow, he'll no longer see birds nor hear them sing."