Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: cheesy?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    258

    cheesy?

    have learned that the word "Cheesy"" refers to any good ol' stuff whether it is corny or cheesy or whatever! The idea being to permanently discourage the younger generations from becoming fond of good tuneful old ballads and songs and dances. Anything to keep those youngsters from switching away from most of the garbage that is classed as music today..........Just class it as 'Cheesy', and it will be shunned like the plague! and, that makes it easy for todays so-called 'Experts to continue to perpetuate their non-music!
    want to argue?
    leegordo

  2. #2
    Artistically Bankrupt
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    869
    Usually it is the lyrics which are deemed cheesy rather than the music, though. As an example, "Run Joey Run," which assaulted our sensibilities in the '70's, is as cheesy a lyric as one could ask for. "Convoy," was so cheesy that they made a movie based on it.

    Cheesy does NOT have a direct link to how old a song is, Leegordo. True, many songs which were enthusiastically embraced at the time came to be regarded as cheesy as the years passed. But again, that is only because the lyrical stylings became outdated. Vernacular shifts, expressions change, and thematic elements evolve over time.

    But then, there are hits on the radio right now which many would term as cheesy. An old song which is cheesy is understandable; a new song which is cheesy is just crap.

    Trust me when I say that "the idea" is not actually a programmed and agreed-upon approach to "permanently discourage the younger generations from becoming fond of good tuneful old ballads and songs and dances," as you put it. I didn't get any memos from the Society to Discourage Listening to Old Music telling me to call "Muskrat Love" a cheesy song.

    Anything to keep those youngsters from switching away from most of the garbage that is classed as music today..........
    Pick a decade this century, Leegordo... any decade. That music, according to the older generations of the day, was "garbage classed as music." To the younger crowd, it was good. You make these posts as if you imagine that there is A) some sort of objective measure of "goodness" to popular music, and B) rather bizarrely imagine that someone somewhere has a plan to obfuscate the qualities of older music. Leegordo, if the "powers that be" are making money from royalties, wouldn't you imagine that they would promote older music rather than fiendishly hide it?
    "If a child learns which is jay and which is sparrow, he'll no longer see birds nor hear them sing."

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    266
    leegordo...

    cheesy also refers to food that contains large amounts of cheese

  4. #4
    bitter old fool Jed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    want to argue?
    LOL This is so LeeGordo! It's nice (?? what ??) to see someone trying to bridge the generation gap among the trolls. Troll On, Fat Lee, Troll On !!

    cheers,

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    LOL This is so LeeGordo! It's nice (?? what ??) to see someone trying to bridge the generation gap among the trolls. Troll On, Fat Lee, Troll On !!

    cheers,
    Hi again Jed back to the old insults as usual? you cannot deny there is some truth in what I say about the old and/or new in music I have noticed that quite a lot of 'pop' music aimed at today's youth is almost totally Diatonic! the majority of it consists of
    I,IV,V,VI and occasionally III,and II but hardly ever VII ! That is because the modern 'composers' have been fed only diatonic stuff all their lives, and, cannot be expected to understand more tuneful stuff......Also in small groups 'live' the harmonies occasionally clash. Not many of todays' musicians have taken the trouble to learn
    anything about harmony! I suppose that is because it is too much trouble, when they can easily make a living without all that hassle!Finally, hardly any 'Pop' music conains any chord sequences, in fact none , not even the occasional V7 , I .or even any kind of V7 at all. Come on old Jed. You will no doubt try to shoot me down in flames But there is a lot of truth in what I say, the proof is out there
    leegordo

  6. #6
    Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    the proof is out there
    yes, we are not alone

    I realyl don't bother listening to today's pop. AFAIK, leegordo is right.
    Yet, some of the good old stuff is just cheesy ... And in 30 years someone would say, got I miss Brittney, that was good old stuff, today's pop is so .... (insert what you will, perhaps even 'diatonic').

  7. #7
    Artistically Bankrupt
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    869
    Leegordo, you are talking about temporarily consumable and disposable pop music meant to be packaged in 3.5 minute bites and marketed to teenagers. Yes, it is less than the highest form of art available to composers. However, it is not an insult or blight. It is simply what it is.

    Are you telling us that you cannot find recently-written music that transcends teenie-bopper radio pop? Turn the dial. Modern composers still write scores excitingly artful and shot through with profoundly moving elements of inspiration. But you will not hear a modern composer's work on the same radio station that plays Maroon 5.

    You are insulting pop music as simplistic? Thanks for the newsflash. However, your implication that there is something wrong with simplistic, marketable music is absurd. Don't like it? Don't listen to it. Wish every teenager in America would cultivate "better" tastes more like your own? Get over yourself.
    "If a child learns which is jay and which is sparrow, he'll no longer see birds nor hear them sing."

  8. #8
    Registered User superlocrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    116
    What amazes me is how many songs are plagiarized and it is simply ignored. I often hear a song on the radio that sounds like 15 other songs. Poor George Harrison was sued for plagiarism back in the 70's and today's artists get away with murder.

    Interesting question: Do you think human beings are still able to write original melodies and tunes (with the exception of quarter notes). With all the millions of songs that have been written will we ever exhaust the 11 notes?

  9. #9
    Registered User JonR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Twickenham, UK
    Posts
    4,959
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    Hi again Jed back to the old insults as usual? you cannot deny there is some truth in what I say about the old and/or new in music
    But what is it you actually are saying? It doesn't make much sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    I have noticed that quite a lot of 'pop' music aimed at today's youth is almost totally Diatonic! the majority of it consists of
    I,IV,V,VI and occasionally III,and II but hardly ever VII !
    So what? A lot of "old" stuff is also fully diatonic. What's wrong with being diatonic?
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    That is because the modern 'composers' have been fed only diatonic stuff all their lives, and, cannot be expected to understand more tuneful stuff......
    In your opinion. Maybe they deliberately choose diatonic stuff because they prefer it.
    "Good" music is simply that which an audience enjoys. There is really no sense in defining it any other way. Also (speaking as a frequent member of many different kinds of audience), we enjoy different music for different reasons at different times.
    If you want to get up and dance - or you want to hear some improvisation - then Beethoven is "bad" music. If you want a deep sublime experience, then punk rock is "bad" music - and so is Dixieland jazz.
    And the great jazz standards are "bad" music if you want something surprising or stimulating or new.
    I don't know about you, but I like all the above kinds of music (and more) at different times. (Actually I don't often like Beethoven, but that's just me...)
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    Also in small groups 'live' the harmonies occasionally clash. Not many of todays' musicians have taken the trouble to learn
    anything about harmony!
    Hold on, man, get your argument straight. First you say everything is diatonic. Then you say their harmonies clash because they haven't learned about harmony. You can't have it both ways.
    Just perhaps, they are deliberately mixing deliberate diatonic harmony with some deliberate chromaticism? Perhaps they LIKE those sounds that you don't like?
    Personally, I've never heard any professional rock band play accidental chromaticism. Everything they do, they mean to do. They choose the sounds they play, over other ones. They may not have studied harmony. But neither did Django Reinhardt or Wes Montgomery.
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    I suppose that is because it is too much trouble, when they can easily make a living without all that hassle!
    Yeah, annoying ain't it, people making money when you're not! (I know the feeling...)
    They are giving a large number of people what they want. In exactly the same way (EXACTLY) as the people you admire once did.
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    Finally, hardly any 'Pop' music contains any chord sequences, in fact none , not even the occasional V7 , I .or even any kind of V7 at all.
    OK, you've really stopped making sense now.
    You will have to define for us what you mean by "chord sequence" here, because it is clealy something different from the way the rest of us understand it.
    I've heard very little pop music that has no chord sequences. Some rap is built on a single chord. I guess that counts. (And that doesn't mean rap is "bad" music, by the way. It is just not very harmonically interesting. So what?)
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    Come on old Jed. You will no doubt try to shoot me down in flames
    I think you've shot yourself down successfully enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    But there is a lot of truth in what I say, the proof is out there
    leegordo
    There is no truth in what you say, and the "proof" is in your head.
    (You have a valid opinion, that's all. These are not "facts", it's only "true" in your opinion.)

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    126
    this post is "Cheesy" IMHO. Music is what we like, it doesn't make it wrong or cheesy, what it is cheesy to you may be exceptional to me. if I want to listen to a band that plays the I IV 1 all day then why can't I? If I want to listen to the one guy band who plays chromatic then why not? theres no rules or right vs wrong in music in reality.

    To each his/her own

  11. #11
    Registered User Obivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    301
    Cheesy music to me is either when something has been overdone to the point where it is painful, for example taking the final chorus of a power ballad up a key, or when it's just plain bad, but catchy i.e. YMCA.

    But Cheesy doesn't necessarily equate to bad. Personally, I would prefer to hear "Livin on a Prayer" rather than John McLaughlin's weird atonal stuff.
    Last edited by Obivion; 05-20-2008 at 07:34 PM.
    No one sings the blues quite like Yngwie!

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    60
    "I have noticed that quite a lot of 'pop' music aimed at today's youth is almost totally Diatonic! the majority of it consists of
    I,IV,V,VI and occasionally III,and II but hardly ever VII ! "

    "Finally, hardly any 'Pop' music conains any chord sequences, in fact none"

    A bit of self contradiction there? Both of these statements can't be right - or are you confusing chord sequences with modulation?

  13. #13
    Modbod UKRuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Funky Munky World
    Posts
    3,904
    I like cheese.

    I listen to the Venga Boys everyday.

    The venga bus is coming
    the venga bus is coming

    Classic.

  14. #14
    chewing bubble gum Chim_Chim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by JonR
    I don't know about you, but I like all the above kinds of music (and more) at different times.
    Yeah and all of it can be bad at different times too as you said. But also just in general regardless of what "time" it is, music of all types can be either good or bad. Let's not be so "objective" that we "oversensitively" set the bar too low.

    Quote Originally Posted by ibanezzed
    this post is "Cheesy" IMHO. Music is what we like, it doesn't make it wrong or cheesy, what it is cheesy to you may be exceptional to me. if I want to listen to a band that plays the I IV 1 all day then why can't I? If I want to listen to the one guy band who plays chromatic then why not? theres no rules or right vs wrong in music in reality.

    To each his/her own
    To each their own as long as it isn't to such a RETARDED degree that people forget the UNIVERSALITY of music and thus poop on music overall because their own narrow-mindedness. Which is exactly what has happened to today's music because it's fans are all stupid doo-doo heads.


    To each their own is always good (within reason). But today's music has filtered down into cult-like subgenres and sub-subgenres to such a degree that the entire concept of "to each their own" has ran over the other important principle in music, "UNIVERSALITY," like a dog. Older music had a greater UNIVERSAL appreciation of music than today's crap does, and older music also still understood musical UNIVERSALITY while also respecting the "to each their own" principle.

    IN MY OPINION anyways.

    And if you disagree then you're just a dumb, stupid poopie-head.



    To each their own,yes. But not to such a ridiculous degree that everyone is so far lost up their own arse like they are these days to where they totally have forgotten the concept that music is supposed have a UNIVERSAL appeal and a UNIVERSAL standard of appreciation in order for MUSIC to survive.

    You could disagree but you'd be wrong.

    Last edited by Chim_Chim; 05-23-2008 at 11:43 PM.
    Some days I seem to do OK. Other days I feel like just shoving an M-80 right up my guitar's butt.

  15. #15
    fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Britney's basement
    Posts
    1,072
    "Oooooooh I want to dance with somebody. I want to feel the heat with somebody. Yeah, I want to dance with somebody. With somebody who loves me."

    Our beloved, stinky cheese. Without it, we would have a lot less to laugh at.
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •