Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't play before warming up

can't play before warming up

whenever i pick up the guitar for the first time for the day, i can't play anything. after 15 min of warming up, i could play normally. i was wondering if this is normal.
    when i go play with someone, i go there without warming up, and i can't do anything at first, and the person im playing with is like wtf. i dont know if he warms up or not.

also, when someone comes to me and asks me to play something and i haven't played that day yet, i look like an idiot b/c i play like someone whos been playing for a month, and ive been playing for over 2 years.

just wondering if this is normal
    and when i say i cant play anything, i mean i cant play anything

thanks

hey man I am the same way and it is frustrating as hell. My fingers always seem to be incredibly sluggish before I warm up. I don't know if this post has been of any help, but I just thought I'd let you know that wer'e in the same boat on this one

yea thanks for the reply, i wasnt sure if it was just me.
    sometimes i practice in the morning and i feel great and i feel like ive gotten good practice for the day, and then like 10 hours later at night i get that feeling of just picking up the guitar and play some 10-note lick but i cant do **** and i feel so bad
    i wonder if ill ever able to pick up the guitar at any moment and play something decent

Hey, I used to have that problem too. Yes, I think its totally normal.

Yes, you need to warmup for at least 5 minutes before anything thats supposed to be taken seriously.

Every guitarist has their own custom warmups, the thing that they need. You need to figure out what you need.

Usually its related to connecting the body & mind.

Speed drills, chromatic runs, barre chord progressions, skipwise soloing, arpeggios, etc.

Your warmup should be one of the most difficult things you can play, although musically, its ok if it sounds crappy or nonsensical. Its a warmup.

Steve Vai has a '10-hour Workout' that is amazing! Just pick a few things from that to get you started. Google it, its well known.
    Dan

-on the right in jeans
    Hidden Content

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmsstudios
    Your warmup should be one of the most difficult things you can play
    I disagree....Playing the most difficult thing you can play right off the bat is a surefire way to injure yourself. You need to start out slow and easy and gradually build up the difficulty to ensure you are warmed up properly and that you don't cause permanent injury to yourself.
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

Grappling with 313313s daniel.rego's Avatar
    I don't think its even possible to perform your best without warming up for atleast 5-10 minutes first. I remember John Petrucci talking about it in his Wild Stringdom book long ago. I personally need to warm up with chromatic, legato and finger stretching exercises before I can really rip it up.

thanks for the replies
    it really does make me feel better knowing its normal and happens to everyone
    i guess before i go play with someone i should just warmup then go

Yes it happens to EVERYONE. Including the egoistic ones who'll blatantly deny it

No seriously warming up is a topic that's given MUCH emphasis by many pros in their instructionals and columns. Petrucci even demonstrates some stretching exercises in his Rock Discipline video, and plenty of warmup exercises in his Guitar Player columns.

Stressing your tendons and muscles without adequate warmup is often dangerous too. Just ask Demonaz from Immortal

Thats normal. I can't even play simple chords with correct fretting before I warmup. I guarentee that when you see some rockstar on TV go and pikcup his guitar he has warmed up for at least 15 minutes. [QUOTE=daniel.rego]Petrucci even demonstrates some stretching exercises in his Rock Discipline video, and plenty of warmup exercises in his Guitar Player columns.]
    Who would aruge with Petrucci? I personally just practice using and flexing my left hand before I even pick up a guitar. Plus I love looking at the buff muscles in my hand.
    What happened to Demonaz from Immortal?
    It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!

satriani style warmups on youtube are amazing...he does like these weird chord shapes and then inverts the shapes back and forth over the entire neck...

EDIT: FOUND IT!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o-H72ECeZBs

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teletubby
    satriani style warmups on youtube are amazing...he does like these weird chord shapes and then inverts the shapes back and forth over the entire neck...

EDIT: FOUND IT!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o-H72ECeZBs
    Satriani has also said that he shakes his hands rigorously before playing and it is purported that he dips his elbows in warm/hot water before a show....No joke!
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I heard that Yngwie pops his fingers in the microwave for 30 seconds before appearing onstage. Just a medium setting though.

[QUOTE=Over9Thousand]Thats normal. I can't even play simple chords with correct fretting before I warmup. I guarentee that when you see some rockstar on TV go and pikcup his guitar he has warmed up for at least 15 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel.rego
    Petrucci even demonstrates some stretching exercises in his Rock Discipline video, and plenty of warmup exercises in his Guitar Player columns.]
    Who would aruge with Petrucci? I personally just practice using and flexing my left hand before I even pick up a guitar. Plus I love looking at the buff muscles in my hand.
    What happened to Demonaz from Immortal?
    He had to quit playing guitar for the band coz of tendonitis. Damn them single-note tremolo picking black metal guitarists I think he then became the band's manager or something.
    "If you cannot walk, it is impossible to run."

same problem here, been playing for 9+ yrs (i think)

i usually warm up with a simple exercise, and then blow through jazz standards or some blues or whatever, just improvise.

before a show/important studio gig i practice for at least 30 min on some pure technique (paul gilbert exercise etc)

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    I need 15-20 minutes of scales before I really start ...