Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Most challenging song/piece of all time. Name some..

Most challenging song/piece of all time. Name some..

I'm so used to thinking that 'challenging' equals getting a song upto X bpm. And with enough practice, that's attainable. But please name some songs that have horribly difficult fingerings, tongue twisters, etc. Thanks a lot. I feel like learning something really difficult.

giant steps at 300bpm in 12 keys, played completely by ear, modulating up by 1/2 step every chorus.

Giant Steps at that tempo may still have that beginner vibe to it... Try that with Moment's Notice instead.

ah yes, I suppose I could have reached much higher,

but if we're really going to go for it, how about making it a guitar/bass duo where the bass player modulates at random at the end of the form, rather then in a simple pre-determined system like up in half steps.

in an attempt to save this thread from utter idiocy, what songs out there have you people found the most challenging?

I've always found tunes using a lot of non functional harmony, like goodbye porkpie hat, or any wanye shorter tune, to be a lot more difficult to play then tunes like giant steps, or moments notice, or any tune that has very difficult changes put still follows pretty strict functional harmony. The latter is very hard to play well, but it's pretty obvious what should be going on. The former, I find, demands a lot more out of all of the musicians because there is a lot more ambiguity and there is a much greater shift in colour from one chord to the next. You can get most of what should happen off of the melody, but there is this grey area that is very subtle and extremely difficult to pick up on because you have to be so in tune with what people are doing.

I don't have much of a problem picking up on ii-V-I, regardless of what kind of weird modulation it may be moving in, but hearing durastic shifts in colour is very difficult for me, regardless of tempo. Hearing a wayne shorter tune for the first time, chances are you will hear something you have never heard before. But on something like giant steps, it's nothing really new, it's just moving in a funny way. Non functional harmony really demands the ability to shift between any and every commonly used chord scale at random, based on what the rest of the band is doing and that can be quite the task. Whereas, in functional tunes, regardless of tempo, you just kind of get the ii-V-I machine going and as long as the execution is there, everything falls into place.

now back to the idiocy: how about improvising harmonized 12 tone rows? by ear of course.
    Last edited by silent-storm; 03-11-2008 at 08:46 AM.

Bach's Chaccone. If but for the length and the 32nd note runs. Segovia once said it is a piece that takes a lifetime to master, that tells you something.

I'd say the "Hot for Teacher solo". It's the weird timing coupled with the speed that throws me.
    No one sings the blues quite like Yngwie!

Artistically Bankrupt
    "Flight of the Bumblebee," fingerstyle, on a fretless classical guitar.
    "If a child learns which is jay and which is sparrow, he'll no longer see birds nor hear them sing."

try paganini's 5th caprice. or scarified by racer x. i like yngwies far beyond the sun and now your ships are burned.

'Flight of the Bumblebee' by Rimsky Korsakov at the normal tempo - 144 bpm. At this tempo, the whole song lasts about 100 seconds, but there isn't a break from the chromatic 16th notes until about 70 seconds.
    Dan

-on the right in jeans
    Hidden Content

Vinnie Moore's Prelude/into the Future & Morning Star are the pains in my *** at the mo and PG/Racer X Technical Difficulties (it's technically difficult!!)

I think when you've learned bad technique and used it for years & years (as I have!) then it's hard to play tunes that have real strict execution like these.

Like trying to play paganini's 5th caprice or something all down picked