Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving up Music as a profession.

realizing dreams
    Good stuff has been posted, and it's good to know that leppards hand is ready to kick some *** again!

Like silent storm I'm studying for the degree now and when I think of it I could have continued to live in the most beautiful town ever for like 2 years, making a living out of selling magazines over the phone twice a week, and devote the rest of the time on my art only, not the altered scale or weird rhythm stuff. Then I could also have continued to enjoy female bodies, german beer, literature, in other words enjoy life!
    But then the pressure from the studies is very good for me, it keeps me focused, otherwise I would get lazy again...maybe someday I will come to the same conclusion that teaching nickleback songs is not for me, maybe it will be fun, the good thing is that it's not too late to change direction when you're young.
    Last edited by Padawan; 02-15-2008 at 11:40 PM.

The world does need more educated musicians. Good luck with what ever you go with though. It's never too late to turn back, I have some people in my course who are 40+.

Jessmanca,

I suggest you drop everything you're doing and pick up a copy of "What is Art?" by Leo Tolstoy.

It is a sea of infinite answers to the question (he never finished writing it.)

The big piece I took away from this book - 'Art schools destroy artists.'

He also seems to distain poetry and doesn't regard it as an art form. Hmm....
    Dan

-on the right in jeans
    Hidden Content

Hey jessmanca,
    just to say i have a friend who puts on gigs for a local music bar where i live...
    he works regularly about 6 hours a week putting on a night called task in hand at this place called the marrs bar and earns enough to live comfortably for the rest of the week with no struggle (although his earnings are dependant on attendance at gigs). The rest of the time he is free to make music as he pleases... no degree, just talent at playing an instrument and promoting bands...

Although I can kind of agree with 'art schools destroy artists' I don't think its a fair statement without accompanying argument.

Anyway, No one ever actually learns to be an artist from going to uni or doing any kind of structured course. It's simply a means to learn about the tools of the trade. Music school is mainly an outlet to give musicians experience performing with musicians. Along with learning the theoretical information that is most important to any musician who wishes to make life easier on themselves, once they enter the professional realm.

Such as learning to read music and charts. Transpose music. Communicate musical ideas more effectively. Arranging music for different instruments.

These things have no artistic merit. The last one does kind of.

If your talking about Improvisation and Compositional related subjects. Yes, a lot of the rules they feed you, if used exclusively, make for a very un interesting or cliche tune. However it's never meant to be that way. Besides, anyone with the smallest artistic potential can differentiate between the rules that can be broken and the ones that probably should be left alone.

So " art schools destroy artists " possibly. Although it sounds more like a cheap shot from someone who either made it without help/guidance/support. Or someone who never got help and wish they did.

As for poetry. I totally agree
    Got something to say??? Just ****ing say it!!

Rhyming and making simple statements in obscure ways is not artistic. Its annoying. If they sing it or do spoken word with some relevant music behind it.... that brings it more into the art realm.

jessmanca.. how old are you? im curious as i am very unsure if a profession in music is something i want to do. By the look of it, you still have very good options available to you, and id like to know how roughly how much time i have to change my mind (im on the first year of an advanced music course and im 17).

Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    jessmanca.. how old are you? im curious as i am very unsure if a profession in music is something i want to do. By the look of it, you still have very good options available to you, and id like to know how roughly how much time i have to change my mind (im on the first year of an advanced music course and im 17).
    I am 25, you still have your whole life ahead of you. Life begins when you graduate high school.

I've decided to do it, I am switching out of music, I may still take music classes for enjoyment and make a minor out of it, but it's not what I want my career path to be.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jessmanca
    Life begins when you graduate high school.
    Would that not be the same as secondary school for those in the UK? (basically, the end of compulsory education.) Because if it is i finished that in 2006.

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    I am 38 and i still have a hell of a lot of life and fun ahead. It's never too late, neither it's to soon. Listen to your heart, Jessmance. Then again hearts change .... adapt, when necessary.

All the best with your new course Jess. What have you chosen to study now?

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMick
    All the best with your new course Jess. What have you chosen to study now?
    Physics or Chemistry, although it will be next semester when I am actually able to switch majors, so for now I am still taking music classes . Really, I do love taking these classes but I find it's just more for my enjoyment than for my ambitions. Thanks for the well wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by jessmanca
    I am 25, you still have your whole life ahead of you. Life begins when you graduate high school.
    I'd have to disagree.

Life (responsibility) begins when you have kids and a large mortgage.

Up to then, you can do whatever you want, whenever you want.

My advice? Make the most of it while you can

I'm a music store manager. I wanted to perform professionally but went a different route. Follow your heart not the pocket book(as long as you can support yourself) and the music will always be with you.

I did more with my music after I was married and had kids and now I support my family doing that.