Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Yet another sweeping question.

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar

Yet another sweeping question.

I practice m7, maj7, dim7,7 and minor arpeggions. While I can sweep them from high to low string, I find that I alt pick the from low to high string. If I force myself to sweep them in both direction, my playing suffers immediatly.
    Should I force to correct myself, or should I just stick with it. I does improve my alt picking tech on the other hand.

Well.. you can alternate pick or sweep just as you wish. (as you might have guessed )
    You'd like to sweep since you expect an advantage of it, don't you?
    Ok.. now sweeping does not come natural and especially in sweeping there can be a huge difference in up and downward movement and how it feels - depending also on your general picking technique.
    One way will feel more awkward than the other - in your case down sweeps feel strange and therefor you pick them alternately. I have had students where it's just vice a versa.

What you can do is trying to keep the motion steady and with as less as possible positionchange and repositioning when changing directions.
    That is what needs to be forced into the hand.. by.. you name it - constant and slow practice with a metronome and one eye on the right hand and really forcing it to do what YOU want.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom
    ... constant and slow practice with a metronome and one eye on the right hand and really forcing it to do what YOU want.
    I was afraid someone would say that.
    At my current speed, it doesnt really mattter, because I am quicker with alt than with sweep, but later parhaps this might come in my way ...
    Thanks, Phantom.
    I can sweep three or four note patterns in both direction, just not complex arps.

lol..

What i always say to students is:
    "Be happy that it is a problem that can be solved with practice!
    It is no money needed, no special genetic advantage, no superpowers, no good looks, nothing at all that can't be done or needs to be there magically.

It is just plain and simple practice - nothing more. It could be so much worse.

It can't be made simpler you anyone to obtain a special ability than through practice!"

Read it again and let it sink in and see it from that perspective maybe.
    Last edited by phantom; 02-13-2008 at 11:15 AM.

I guess I wished, someone would say: don't bother, you can alt pick everything ...stay away from metronome and just have fun.

On more serious note: practicing is kind of fun, really.

Be happy that it is a problem that can be solved with practice!
    I should put this one on the wall.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingSkull
    I guess I wished, someone would say: don't bother, you can alt pick everything ...stay away from metronome and just have fun.
    Umm ok ....
    Don't bother, you can alt pick everything dude, metronomes are so boring and clinical, just have fun!

On a related note, I can't sweep lol. I'm still learning basic arps and only alt pick them myself. Guess I need to roll up my sleeves and practice basic sweeps (with a metronome!). Would like to incorporate that sound into solos.

Right now I still struggle seeing arps when I'm soloing. I'd like to get to the point where I merge scalar and arp playing. Arps have helped me identify chord tones though, that's helped my soloing a lot!

"Be happy that it is a problem that can be solved with practice!"

I like it!

Hope I'm not derailing this thread but...

Phantom,
    Just checked your myspace. Dude I didn't know you were one of the guys on the Alchemists 2 CD!! Awesome. I have both of them...

This forum is kewler than I thought!

Hey high-strung!

Glad you like it!

Yeah ibreathe is a really cool place and it is a shame that we can't make the right progress..
    A few of us guys have articles already written but without help from the admins here there is no way we could publish them on this site. Neverhteless.. stick around dude, there is tons of valuable knowledge here.

...oops... that whas ment to be in another thread partly.. oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by high-strung
    Don't bother, you can alt pick everything dude, metronomes are so boring and clinical, just have fun!
    Yesss!!