Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: The Metronome

Smile Endurance and The Metronome

The way I use the metronome is by improvising. I improvise with the metronome by playing parts of songs/licks with it, If I make a mistake i find the beat and focus on what I messed up on and do it until its perfect.

I find it boring playing one lick for an hour a day and inching up the metronome. I couldn't do that for 2 hours let alone 1 a day. Is this a good approach? improvising with the metronome? Is there an approach thats maybe better and more efficient?

Another Question I had was endurance. I can play a fast phrases only for a while until I start messing up. What would be a good approach/solution to this. I know PG doesn't have that problem LOL

Thanks!
    Last edited by Heyjoe87; 02-07-2008 at 12:35 AM.

Warm-up before you start and record yourself if possible.

EDIT: Dude we all(?) use the metronome for improving!

I would want a personal drummer though...

It can be a bit dull to play for hours with a metronome... however, taking breaks, or occasionally switching between exercises to keep it interesting, or wworking on a little etude using the technique youre working on (Steve Morse does this a lot) might help.
    Also, it takes time to build up to a long practising session, until you can focus that long, and it sure helps to take a break in between, or work on another aspect of playing, returning to the metronome later.
    Otherwise, youll use up your stamina and attention span, which will make it boring or even frustrating...
    So break it up, keep track of smallest progress, dont rush it (otherwise youll end up fast, but sloppy), and this will also help to work on your stamina. The fun starts when you keep track of the progress and notice that its there, that you raise your speed while also keeping good time (your inner timing will prolly improve too), and then it can be quite addictive... Ihave heard this from many other players, and have experienced that myself...
    I hope this helps
    Eric

Eric When you say, "keeping track of the progress" do you mean writing it down? or just simply knowing you're getting better? Thanks by the way I know you're busy

LOL I meant, "improvising." my bad

Hey
    I meant "knowing youre getting better", but also considering an increase of, say, 4 or 8 bpm a day a success. A lot of people think that an increase of that is nothing, or is disappointing, but it really isnt, especially when you get into the higher speeds. I remember PG talking about how he'd notice himself getting a little faster every day when working on a certain lick for weeks and months.

You of course also CAN write it down. I know Steve Vai wrote down exactly how long he practiced, and how long he practiced what. He said he was kinda weird about that, but he did. At the GIT, some of us would use tables to keep track of bpm development, just to learn a bit about our progress, work ethics etc. So that can be helpful too.
    A steady but slow increase is quite motivating, and worth keeping track of. =)
    Hope this helps
    Eric