Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: A Bit About Me

A Bit About Me

Wow. I just wanted to say that from what I've seen so far on this forum, this is definately the online music stop for me. I've been a member of a few other guitar-specific forums (which shall remain nameless) and there I was treated like a complete moron. From what I've read here, however, I can tell that I'm surrounded by those that have a great desire to excel and help others do the same in a respectable manner.

A little about me:
    I've been playing music since I was 12. Started playing the trumpet in band and loved it. Two years later I got the chance to fill a baritone spot and played that until I was 18 and graduated high school. Around the same time that I picked up the baritone, I also purchased my first guitar, and $80 no-name acoustic from a mom-and-pop music store back home. I thought that thing was the greatest ever. Three years after that, I purchased my first electric guitar (an Ibanez GAX-70). I've been playing off and on ever since, but never seemed to really gain any playing ability. Now, however, my desire to learn and excel at guitar has been restarted, and I'm looking at setting a practice schedule.

I just wanted to say hi to everyone and hope that you can all be of some help to me in the future so that I might help someone else in turn.

Thank you,

Jordan Stoner

Artistically Bankrupt
    I've been a member of a few other guitar-specific forums (which shall remain nameless) and there I was treated like a complete moron.
    You shouldn't get a lot of that here. Occasionally, egos are ruffled, but it dies down pretty quickly. I'd say the mods here only have to calm people down about once every couple of months (daily on most other boards).

Guitar players love their music talk, and everyone wants to show what they know and can do. The reason so few people here treat others like morons is that the regulars on this board have figured out that a) the one thing we all have in common is why we're on this board in the first place, and b) every guitarist of every degree of proficiency has something to offer.

There are people in the Theory forum who can answer the most esoteric questions. There are metallic shredders who can offer advice. There are Jazz compers for you if that's your bag. There is a female songwriter, aging Texan Country crooner, and a Leegordo.There are even crusty dudes who spend their time reminding you that it is all for self-fulfillment, and that you should just enjoy it and play what you love.
    "If a child learns which is jay and which is sparrow, he'll no longer see birds nor hear them sing."

Oooo, I hate those crusty dudes.

Artistically Bankrupt
    ...and there are even crusty dudes who have moved on past guitar and into the wider world of digital music.
    "If a child learns which is jay and which is sparrow, he'll no longer see birds nor hear them sing."

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blutwulf
    and a Leegordo.
    What fun would there be without Leegordo.

Hey, wellcome man.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    Oooo, I hate those crusty dudes.
    I met one once!!!
    Scared the Beejayzus out of me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingSkull
    What fun would there be without Leegordo.

Hey, wellcome man.
    Hi Laughing Skull, leegordo here, I must admit that, on going over my posts on this site I discovered a few mistakes which I made.I duly apologize for same I am an elderly Scot born near St Andrews But, I don't play golf, only K/boards. when I criticize guitars, as being inferior to K/boards, I mean from the point of view of learning about chords and harmony. When it comes down to using guitar as the the medium when studying the theory of Music in order to pass exam's for college or school tests, then it is generally accepted that the piano is the only suitable instrument to learn on . when I state that, I do realize that All the guys out there who swear by the guitar will resent my opinions, but, I do honestly know about these things. and, don't express myself in order to annoy anyone Best thing I know is, to try it out. get a cheap K/board and learn about theory ALONG with the guitar I personally found that studying both together, I was able to progress more quickly!!

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    Hi Laughing Skull, leegordo here, I must admit that, on going over my posts on this site I discovered a few mistakes which I made.I duly apologize for same I am an elderly Scot born near St Andrews But, I don't play golf, only K/boards. when I criticize guitars, as being inferior to K/boards, I mean from the point of view of learning about chords and harmony. When it comes down to using guitar as the the medium when studying the theory of Music in order to pass exam's for college or school tests, then it is generally accepted that the piano is the only suitable instrument to learn on . when I state that, I do realize that All the guys out there who swear by the guitar will resent my opinions, but, I do honestly know about these things. and, don't express myself in order to annoy anyone Best thing I know is, to try it out. get a cheap K/board and learn about theory ALONG with the guitar I personally found that studying both together, I was able to progress more quickly!!
    Hey, I don't resent anything. I actually agree that keyboard is a blessing for learning chords and scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutwulf
    You shouldn't get a lot of that here. Occasionally, egos are ruffled, but it dies down pretty quickly. I'd say the mods here only have to calm people down about once every couple of months (daily on most other boards).

Guitar players love their music talk, and everyone wants to show what they know and can do. The reason so few people here treat others like morons is that the regulars on this board have figured out that a) the one thing we all have in common is why we're on this board in the first place, and b) every guitarist of every degree of proficiency has something to offer.

There are people in the Theory forum who can answer the most esoteric questions. There are metallic shredders who can offer advice. There are Jazz compers for you if that's your bag. There is a female songwriter, aging Texan Country crooner, and a Leegordo.There are even crusty dudes who spend their time reminding you that it is all for self-fulfillment, and that you should just enjoy it and play what you love.
    Hi leegordo here I am an old hand at Kboards ....Some advice to guitar players is to somehow get a hold of recordings of greats like Dgango Reinhardt, Joe Pass, Mark Knopflar...Chet Atkins.and a few others who were the greats of yesterday, even so, they remain the finest popular guitar players ever. If you study and listen to those guys, and try to play like them, then, I think that, If you study music, along side this activity then it is possible that you will become a better player than by study alone.......Just a thought............leegordo