Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Practicing scale fragments

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Practicing scale fragments

Just curious if anyone ever analyzed scale fragments from one position..There are 4 examples below that represent frets 7 through 10. Low E string notes are on top in the examples, and are being used as the root notes,(tonic) for each scale. Just like the guitar...downward to the high E string..

My quest was to find the fragments of Major scales for each of these 4 notes without moving out of position. They are out of order below, but you get the point I think...

The finger pattern next to each group of notes would be the fingering to memorize if you wanted any of the notes from a particular scale. Of course, you are limited to specific notes except for the C scale, but if you need a quick bit of notes in another scale it can help get a better visual of what is quite possible without moving out of position..

This could be used to memorize other scales..harmonic minor, melodic minor, natural minor, and so on.

Nothing against moving around but this is more for the note knowledge memory. Please check it out. I used the 7th fret because from here you can play a full C Major scale.

Like the piano, I usually think in terms of knowing the fret board from C. The fingerings would be symetrical in that if you try this from another position the finger patterns would be the same to move up through the 4 scales IN that position.

See below, I typed this up quick, hope I didn't mess up...It should be straight!

C SCALE 7TH POS BLOCK
    B C C# D 124
    E F F# G 124
    A A# B C 134
    D D# E F 134
    F# G G# A 24
    B C C# D 124

B SCALE 7TH POSITION BLOCK
    B C C# D 13
    E F F# G 13
    A A# B C 23
    D D# E F 23
    F# G G# A 13
    B C C# D 13

C# scale 7th pos block
    B C C# D 23
    E F F# G 23
    A A# B C 24
    D D# E F 24
    F# G G# A 13
    B C C# D 23

D scale 7th pos block
    B C C# D 134
    E F F# G 134
    A A# B C 13
    D D# E F 13
    F# G G# A 124
    B C C# D 134
    Last edited by joeyd929; 12-20-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Joe,

I'm curious why you've limted yourself to just four frets when by extending the position via finger stretches you can cover every note in 6 keys in one position and another 6 keys with a single fret shift up or down. What you describe is the basis of positional forms.

cheers,

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Joe,

I'm curious why you've limted yourself to just four frets when by extending the position via finger stretches you can cover every note in 6 keys in one position and another 6 keys with a single fret shift up or down. What you describe is the basis of positional forms.

cheers,
    I do understand what you are asking and that is entirely possible. This whole concept could be expiremented with and done with stretches but before I do that I want to really learn every option step by step.

Once I can at least play throgh all the keys by moving up the neck chromatically, at this point I can try it with stretches and other note intervals. For now I personally want to keep it more chromatic in that each string presents a chromatic 4 note movement.

Each scale is limited in my example but my main issue right now is hearing the key changes. The physical aspects of these scale fragments is just finger exercise patterns. They have to be used carefully but it will be interesting to record some chord backing and expirement.. When I stay in one place I get less confused.

I use scale fragments more that anything when Improvising over Modal vamps. I have a whole tutorial about how I look at it...http://lessons.mikedodge.com/lessons.../LydianTOC.htm

That's a three part series the breaks it down and ramps it up. This is part 4, once I record the examples it will be complete: http://lessons.mikedodge.com/lessons...nPatterns4.htm

Start with those first three though. You've heard it used a million times, this breaks it down very logically in a way that it's pretty easy to grasp and use.

There's audio and tab for all the examples (except in part 4, but it's coming).

It's a GREAT way to leave the 3nps patterns behind, but still use you've learned, just on a different level.