Now please don't send me to another thread cos ive practically read them all and still could not find the answer to my question!

Anyway, I understand how the modes are constructed in their intervals ie ( D dorian equates to D, E F G A B ), but I have a couple of questions about harmonization in solos/ melodies.

Before anyone starts my recording equipment is not with me but at a friends i cant access at the moment.

Let's work with C major for simplicity.

1) If I am playing a standard C major chord progression with C as a tonal centre, could another guitarist/keyboardist play a melody on top in D dorian, or G mixolydian (sp i know) or any of the modes which contains the notes of C major.

2) Furthermore, in rock/punk music I have seen bands play the equivalent minor scale (so in C, C minor) over a chord progression in C. Does this mean one can play a C dorian, C lydian etc melody over it?

3) How would one deal with borrowed chords in respect to modes? In a certain sense, borrowed chords are from the aeolian which shares the root right? So could not one use borrow chords from other modes such as C dorian?

4) If one can play lets say C Eb G Ab in melody over a C major chord (using the aeloian i have previously mentioned), could one also play get away with playing chords from the aeloian over it? like playing a Ab major over C major or any of the major scale degree chords? How do borrowed chords also come into play? For example, if guitar 1 plays C major, could guitar two play the forementioned riff and then follow it up with a Bb chord and then a C# major/power chord over the the chords? How about over certain scale degrees?

If i really have something wrong in my ideas please tell me. Anyway thanks for reading at least!