Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: How to play this strangely amazing?

How to play this style...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVsBlNuqeAA

this guy plays a lot like allan holdsworth. i guess it calls for a lot of chromatic and such, but everytime i incorporate chromatic it just doesnt sound as smooth as these guys make it sound. my phrasing is good, and sometimes makes it sound good, but i really dont get how you do it, i sortof just hit notes at random.

his playing style is just awesome and i really wish i could pull that off, some of it i can but a lot of it i cant. whats the special trick to it?

(too bad the backing track is a bit loud, but you can still hear him shred it up!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N1wnLcNKKM - this video is of him playing the solos on songs from his band Anomalous
    Last edited by Ragman; 05-07-2007 at 02:40 AM.
    How dare them bury
    what should be mine
    My dead companions
    on which I dine
    Gravaged - by Lord Worm, CryptopsY

im surprized no one has responded... :[
    How dare them bury
    what should be mine
    My dead companions
    on which I dine
    Gravaged - by Lord Worm, CryptopsY

tbh i didn't think he sounded much like Holdsworth myself - though he has good technique and plays well.

He did have some slightly chromatic bits, but nothing like the extremes Holdsworth goes to on some of his runs. This guy seemed to just drop in some passing tones here and there on certain phrases, whereas Holdsworth has a tendency to throw in those lightning fast angular chromatic runs with wide stretches all over the place. For example - he'll maybe play 3 notes per string legato, but rather than stay diatonic he'll do things like stack two minor thirds on top of each other and move that run chromatically across the strings, the aim being to finish on a particular target note (usually a chord tone). Something like this:

The technique is just really creating tension by going completely chromatic for a moment, but resolving all those 'out' notes back onto something 'in' - a note that is part of the chord you're playing over.

You can hear Van Halen use runs like this occasionally as well, from what i've read he picked this kind of thing up from Holdsworth too.

You can really go to town on some of this stuff if you want, experimenting with different stretches and interval combinations, adding taps and slides and what not to get that really fluid sound. Great fun, but just make sure you're warmed up - the stretches can be quite harsh on your hands if they're not prepared!

Obviously, Holdsworth provides some quite extreme examples for getting some chromaticism into your playing. You may also want to look into some simpler chromatic effects, using passing tones/ornamented arpeggios and the like:

http://www.oreshko.co.uk/soloinglesson7.htm

http://www.oreshko.co.uk/soloinglesson8.htm

Couple of good basic lessons on how to start out with that approach. And obviously the other really important thing to do is listen to loads of music by people who use those kinds of sounds all the time, and cop licks off them. You can't beat a few hours spent working out little runs to adapt from different songs by Pat Metheny, Wes Montgomery, John Scofield, Mike Stern etc etc.

Edit: I've just listened to the second youtube video now - i see he does use some of those angular Holdsworth style runs in that one! It's just the first video that doesn't seem to have much of that type of thing in it.
    Last edited by tedmaul; 05-09-2007 at 12:40 AM.
    Thren keld, wing nut, why not rheam?