Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Your most common band arguments?

theres a band called strapping young lad

anyway, you should be having this band naming discourse with your fellow bandmates, not strangers on the forum

Most of those names are too long. Almost all would make good album names tho - so if they're rejected as band names, keep them as possibles for your first album!

My favourites from your list as it stands:

#6. P i v o t a l - i
    #9. S o c i a l R e c o i l

I don't really like any of the others - too much of a mouthful. Some of them might work if reduced, Eg:

Stab with Sunshine - nicely enigmatic. ("Kill with kindness" is a cliche and superfluous. And who ever heard of a band name with 6 words? But like I say, good album name if used in full.)

Elusion - not a proper word (a neologism), so good for that reason. A kind of mix of Elusive and Illusion.
    "Elision" is a good word too - it's a real word (means an omission), but sounds suitably mysterious, like a combination of Illusion, Decision, Collision, etc.

Over Your Head - or simply OverHead. (One word, two caps - looks cooler) (or too similar to Radiohead??)

Anything with "Compromise" in it is a bad idea (do you really want to be seen as a band that compromises??) "No Compomise" is better, but maybe a bit too obvious.

BTW, a lot depends what kind of music you play, and how much you want to indicate that in your name. "Social Recoil" sound (to me) like a death metal band, and somewhat adolescent. Definitely not intellectual. But OK if that's your kind of music.
    In can see that "Pivotal" might sound nerdy, but plenty of good bands have names like that. I like it because it could mean anything. (There's a UK techno band called Orbital, which is close.)
    Last edited by JonR; 10-12-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeOfBoom View Post
    theres a band called strapping young lad

anyway, you should be having this band naming discourse with your fellow bandmates, not strangers on the forum
    Well, if you read the thread, that was his problem - too many arguments in the band about it.

Believe me, dude, we've been - it's obviously always in the back of my mind... notice that some strangers I've been chatting with on this form are enthousiastic and happy to give their two cents (someone even told me to give the list on this site, which I thought could help), and others are comedians who could give a flyin Fudgesicle. The more (genuine) opinions we can get, the more we can understand what a majority of the people think about any given subject.

Don't worry, dude, you've already been more than helpful. Peace.

Thanks, JonR

Many thanks, JonR - I appreciate the care you've taken to think about this with me. Funnily enough, the whole "KKSS" think (written in full) was actually originally the drummer's idea to name the album, we were just tampering with the idea of naming the band after that - so very nice observation on your part

I agree with your take on OverHead as well - yes, very "Radiohead".

So far, #9 seems to be the one most peeps are going for....

I was really never a fan of #6 myself - what do you like about it? Very interested...

Quote Originally Posted by JonR View Post
    Most of those names are too long. Almost all would make good album names tho - so if they're rejected as band names, keep them as possibles for your first album!

My favourites from your list as it stands:

#6. P i v o t a l - i
    #9. S o c i a l R e c o i l

I don't really like any of the others - too much of a mouthful. Some of them might work if reduced, Eg:

Stab with Sunshine - nicely enigmatic. ("Kill with kindness" is a cliche and superfluous. And who ever heard of a band name with 6 words? But like I say, good album name if used in full.)

Elusion - not a proper word (a neologism), so good for that reason. A kind of mix of Elusive and Illusion.
    "Elision" is a good word too - it's a real word (means an omission), but sounds suitably mysterious, like a combination of Illusion, Decision, Collision, etc.

Over Your Head - or simply OverHead. (One word, two caps - looks cooler) (or too similar to Radiohead??)

Anything with "Compromise" in it is a bad idea (do you really want to be seen as a band that compromises??) "No Compomise" is better, but maybe a bit too obvious.

BTW, a lot depends what kind of music you play, and how much you want to indicate that in your name. "Social Recoil" sound (to me) like a death metal band, and somewhat adolescent. Definitely not intellectual. But OK if that's your kind of music.
    In can see that "Pivotal" might sound nerdy, but plenty of good bands have names like that. I like it because it could mean anything. (There's a UK techno band called Orbital, which is close.)

I still like #3....it just sounded right somehow. My other choices were the same as JonR, #6 and #9. The only thing that i didn't like about #9 was that yes, it does sound adolescent and i thought it would depend on your age, what you play and what age group you're trying to appeal to. I think my least favorite would have to be #2.

Cool, Timestorm...

Thanks for your appoval on #3, that was one of my personal fav's.

We're all in our late 20's, but I guess you could say that these songs were written coming out of an adolescent time period. We're not purposely trying to appeal to any age group in particular, but I'm sure the lyrical content on this particular EP would appeal to mostly late teens to mid 20's, but musically should appeal to all hard rock lovers, and also the creative musicians out there.

We're most certainly not a death metal band (although you will hear the occasional "death growl" lol). We're a blend of mostly early 90's roots mixed with more eccentric sounding changes and transitions - the drumming is absolutley nutz tho...

I'm glad you agree with JonR, but I myself am interested in the appeal of #6, because that was not one of my personal favorites. So, what appeals to you about that particular name, if you wouldn't mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Timestorm View Post
    I still like #3....it just sounded right somehow. My other choices were the same as JonR, #6 and #9. The only thing that i didn't like about #9 was that yes, it does sound adolescent and i thought it would depend on your age, what you play and what age group you're trying to appeal to. I think my least favorite would have to be #2.

With regards #6.....I just like the fact that it's left open, yes, it could mean anything - whatever you want it to mean really. It's not in danger of trying to sound clever, it's short enough and isn't limiting itself to a specific age group etc...... although i guess you may be forever dogged by people asking you what the 'i' stands for.....but the curiosity factor alone means it's easy to remember. Yeah...i like it.

Hmmmm...

Wow, I never would have thought if it that way

In that case, let me bring you to the next level - this is where the bassist lost me... He had an idea for the logo to actually draw an eye around the "dot" of the "i". Right away, I'm thinking, 'Tool'. Ya know? (what do you think about that logo idea, am I crazy? )

But if you had a band with that name WITHOUT the eye for a logo, and someone asked you what the "i" stands for, what do you think would be your clever answer for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Timestorm View Post
    With regards #6.....I just like the fact that it's left open, yes, it could mean anything - whatever you want it to mean really. It's not in danger of trying to sound clever, it's short enough and isn't limiting itself to a specific age group etc...... although i guess you may be forever dogged by people asking you what the 'i' stands for.....but the curiosity factor alone means it's easy to remember. Yeah...i like it.

that's alex grey stuff

he did album art for the beasties back in the day

Well.... i anticipated that 'eye' may come into it somewhere. I personally prefer it just left open. Nah...i'm not too sure about that 'eye' picture idea either. With regards clever responses - i'm probably not the best person to ask...maybe wait for JonR to post back with his reasons for liking #6 and see what he thinks about the 'eye' thing.

I'm with ya, Timestorm, thank you again!

Good catch, DukeOfBoom - Yea, the "eye" thing has been done umpteen times over. P.S. Long Live the Beasties!

For whats its worth they are all too contrived and long. I'm guessing thats a result of the fact that the discussion with your band about the name is itself contrived and long. It kind of shows through.

Most of the bands I've been in had one word names (or maybe two word names the first being "the"...) and people find it much easier to support you like that. Imagine a fan shouting "I love you kill with kindness, stab with sunshine!". Not going to happen.

Stop thinking and talking about it and simply see the words around you, judge them by their aesthetic feel and pick the first one that doesn't seem completely out of character. For example one of my bands was called "Spitfire". This was because when we needed to come up with a name we were all getting drunk on a beer called spitfire. It seemed easy and simple enough!

Best of luck.
    "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar"

Hidden Content

Noted...

Thank you, bluesking, for taking the time out to reply. Very valid points indeed. We've kinda moved passed the whole name thing for now and we're just focusing on what counts: the music. We have a lot of rehearsing to do before we'll be able to play out, and we still have some peeps to add to the band yet. On top of that, the recording will be at the mastering house until the end of November, so we have some time.

Just like you said, we've stopped thinking and talking about it (well, stopped talking about it anyway) and if we still don't have a name when we need it, then I'm sure we'll aggresively come up with a good name quick.

However, I'm still wide open to suggestions or variations based on the list I provided so fire away, people!

Quote Originally Posted by bluesking View Post
    For whats its worth they are all too contrived and long. I'm guessing thats a result of the fact that the discussion with your band about the name is itself contrived and long. It kind of shows through.

Most of the bands I've been in had one word names (or maybe two word names the first being "the"...) and people find it much easier to support you like that. Imagine a fan shouting "I love you kill with kindness, stab with sunshine!". Not going to happen.

Stop thinking and talking about it and simply see the words around you, judge them by their aesthetic feel and pick the first one that doesn't seem completely out of character. For example one of my bands was called "Spitfire". This was because when we needed to come up with a name we were all getting drunk on a beer called spitfire. It seemed easy and simple enough!

Best of luck.