Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Hi guys!

Hi guys!

Hey guys!
    I am a 19 year old guitar player, severely lacking in theory and constantly using bad technique. Despite this, my heroes are the virtuosos of shred guitar, particularly John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert and more recently Rusty Cooley.

I've taken 12 guitar lessons during the summer when I was 14; sad to say, I didn't learn anything except alternate picking and palm muting. Zilch about theory. I didn't even learn power chords until much later.

Right now, I am still a below average player with an underdeveloped ear. I am currently trying to make a decision if I should spend my money on a new guitar or guitar lesson DVDs. Unfortunately, I cannot afford an actual teacher at the moment so I'm trying to learn via the videos. The only current video I have is Petrucci's Rock Discipline which has some good exercises and warm-ups but almost next to no theory. I have been doing some research and I will a post a topic about what I've found in the future.

So you guys can expect a LOT of questions from me about theory and guitar lesson DVDs.

Thanks and more power to the board!

Hey there!

Welcome to the boards!!

Shoot your questions right away!

One thing i can say from what you already wrote is that it sounds like you started to climb on the horse the wrong way.

It's all nice that you've done that alternate picking stuff etc. but what you really should do is transcribe some stuff!
    If you would have started with trying to play simple rock songs, the powerchord would have jumped you in the face at day one! Taking that as a basic you can go from there!

So, sit down with some classic rock tracks and riffs and try to find out what the guitar is playing. No Videos, no internet, no teachers - i haven't had those when i started out as well (as thousands and thousands of others too).
    Just you, your cd-player, your guitar, your ears and the absolute will to be able to play what you hear those guys playing (and i don't mean Petrucci or Gilbert for starters).
    I started with Maiden, Deep Purple and Scorpions.. that made me have a good basic understanding on how that kind of music works and what is necessary to be able to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom
    So, sit down with some classic rock tracks and riffs and try to find out what the guitar is playing. No Videos, no internet, no teachers - i haven't had those when i started out as well (as thousands and thousands of others too).
    Just you, your cd-player, your guitar, your ears and the absolute will to be able to play what you hear those guys playing (and i don't mean Petrucci or Gilbert for starters).
    I started with Maiden, Deep Purple and Scorpions.. that made me have a good basic understanding on how that kind of music works and what is necessary to be able to play it.
    Listen to this man, who knoweth of which he speaks.

Soooooooooooo true, you have to start on developing your ear FROM DAY ONE and let me tell you, that will separate you from 99.5% of guitarists out there.

Why? Because all they do is search google for tabs of their favorite songs and end up MAJORLY stunting their growth and not getting anywhere.

Your ear is your number one weapon.

When you can afford it, do get lessons from a QUALIFIED and COMPETENT instructor just to make sure you haven't developed any bad habits that could injure you or what not.

-Cobra
    Do You Make These Guitar Playing Mistakes? Free eBook instant download at Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCobra
    Listen to this man, who knoweth of which he speaks.

Soooooooooooo true, you have to start on developing your ear FROM DAY ONE and let me tell you, that will separate you from 99.5% of guitarists out there.

Why? Because all they do is search google for tabs of their favorite songs and end up MAJORLY stunting their growth and not getting anywhere.

Your ear is your number one weapon.

When you can afford it, do get lessons from a QUALIFIED and COMPETENT instructor just to make sure you haven't developed any bad habits that could injure you or what not.

-Cobra
    I got lessons from a stoner And I know the reason why I didn't learn power chords; because the first song I tried to play was Smooth by Carlos Santana. That one has NO power chords! So yeah, the entire 12 lessons, I pretty much wasted my time trying to learn a song that was more than I could chew.

I'm currently trying to learn by myself with instructional DVDs I live in the Philippines so they're a bit hard to come by. The really good ones anyway like the 2007 version of Metal Method by Doug Marks or Rockhouse Method by John McCarthy. I did see an "instructional" video by Yngwie Malmsteen and he's still a guitar hero to me but I kinda hate his guts now. You know what I mean....
    Last edited by pfizer; 03-31-2007 at 03:24 AM.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by pfizer
    I live in the Philippines so they're a bit hard to come by.
    Don't forget to look on youtube as well!! There are plenty of instructionals on there!!

Hi Pfizer - OK, well I have used a lot of DVDs. And I certainly can recommend good examples. I started to write it all out here, but far too much info. So if you want my advice, which is different from any of the suggestions here, then feel free to email me or send me a PM.

Ian.