Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Enka

realizing dreams

Enka

Any Enka fans out there?
    Enka is japanese folk music, strictly based on the Pentatonic scale. (which includes the hirajoshi scale, also a Pentatonic scale)
    I just ordered my first Enka Cd from the famous singer Hibari Misora who is popular since the 50s and I must say that although this isn't very complex music, I am happy that I discovered a new type of music that is really touching me!

Here's a link to a Marty Friedman interview where he talks about Enka and plays a song on the guitar!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiyUiQwYJFE

This Song stuck in my head for half a year and finally made me buy that Hibari Misora CD
    Last edited by Padawan; 02-13-2007 at 10:52 PM.

The hirajoshi scale sounds great. I rememember watching the clip and thinking that it's really out there, like the first time I heard the harmonic minor scale. I'm sure there's lots of possibilties to create music with it, but I think I'll leave it to the experts!
    No one sings the blues quite like Yngwie!

I did searched youtube for Hibari Misora - i like what i hear, i really do. This music reminds of something like the Zelda-Video game soundtrack or something Camel would do (check out their album "The Snowgoose").
    We get the dreams that we deserve.... - Marillion

Hidden Content

realizing dreams
    Hm....Zelda you mean? Don't know, I only played the SNES version (loved the soundtrack)
    Anyway, to give the people an impression of the music, I converted one of the wma files to an mp3 file. I hope I won't get into big trouble...but this song is over 55 years old and the singer is dead....maybe this will be considered

I also attached a little improvisation of mine that I recorded as part of an application recording. After practising my fastest licks and playing one take after another I just decided to improvise a little bit with the minor pentatonic and hirajoshi scale.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Padawan; 02-19-2007 at 01:12 PM.

realizing dreams
    Hey guys, I want you to watch that video, if you don't like it you have no feelings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_cp3HRREVE