Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Help and Advice please!

Help and Advice please!

I finally found a old video on Youtube that I used to watch all the time and influenced me a lot when I first got out of the speed trap. This is a spot between songs during a Dream Theater concert sometime in the early 90's. This is the band jamming along while Petucci nails this beautiful guitar solo. How can I go about getting into some more melodic ideas that are similiar to this vid through the first 2 mins 5 secs of it? I know the use of the blues scale and some shredding lines are further in the video but the first little bit is what is important to me right now. Any advice I would greatly appriciate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oZ5Cy6TlzM

Artistically Bankrupt
    Grab a stack of Kansas CDs and learn all of Bobby Steinhardt's violin parts on your guitar. That's what happened to me, anyway. I have no idea who people would use nowadays.

Wordgirl: Jaded Musician jade_bodhi's Avatar
    That melody that the guitar player is playing, right up to 2:05, is the melody of the Beatles' "Within You Without You." It is not truly improvised, in other words.
    Nobody ever shared
    what we have known...

Quote Originally Posted by jade_bodhi
    That melody that the guitar player is playing, right up to 2:05, is the melody of the Beatles' "Within You Without You." It is not truly improvised, in other words.

I had no idea, but thanks for the info, I really appriciate it.