Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Right hand muting

Right hand muting

I just want to see what your views are on right hand muting when sweeping and alternate picking.

Mostly I rest the side of my hand lightly on the bridge and apply pressure, moving it slowly as I sweep. For alterntae picking, I press down lightly to mute unwanted strings.

Any other ideas?
    No one sings the blues quite like Yngwie!

Is there life out there?

Honestly, I'm not sure what you mean by "views." Are you having trouble with your muting? Are you looking for an alternate method for some reason?

What you're describing sounds like what I do, and what I believe most guitarists do. I don't know what you want to discuss or, more importantly, why. I guess it would be easier if I knew what your impetus for asking the question is.
    "The definition of definition is reinvention."

Artistically Bankrupt
    Mostly I rest the side of my hand lightly on the bridge and apply pressure, moving it slowly as I sweep. For alterntae picking, I press down lightly to mute unwanted strings.
    That's how most do it. I've played Les Pauls for 30+ years, and I have a callous on my hand from muting. Nasty habit, really. I suck playing anything that doesn't have a trapeze-style bridge, now. Well, to be honest I suck at playing Les Pauls, too. I really should consider giving up guitar. And take a shower. And get my damned hair cut. Nothing more sad than a 44 year old with a pony tail.

Hmmm. Is discussing palm muting related to the bridge a discussion of hardware?

Romp and Blutwulf,

when you became members of IBreatheMusic.com, you agreed to be responsible for honoring the integrity of this great musical instruction site:

rules:
    - Conducting yourself professionally - as you would at work or in school.
    - Treating fellow members with common courtesy and respect.
    "Success is arriving at a Personal Satisfaction within yourself"

Dedicated To Guitar!!!

Schooligo, thanks!

Romp and Blutwulf, your two posts have been moved out of this thread due to the reasons mentioned above.
    Last edited by Zatz; 01-05-2007 at 10:11 AM.
    Zadd9 -> A6 -> T#9b5 -> Zmaj7

Hm. I think we need to make better use of smilies and stuff so our good-humored jabs don't come across as personal attacks. Blutwulf and I know each other IRL and like to take pot shots at each other in good fun, but obviously that's not clear to everyone else. Sorry guys!

Yes, we know. It makes it very amusing for the rest of us.

Well, we definitely offended somebody. Maybe the word "WAAAAAmbulance" should be put into the obscenity filter.

Or not.

Thanks for the replies guys.

What I meant was to ask what is the most efficient method of muting. In particular, is it more efficient to mute using the hand or thumb and are there any alternate methods out there that anyone wants to share?

I have a view... I can't pick nearly as fast on a muted string as I can when my hand is floating, is that normal?

Maybe you're muting to hard, the sweep mute is just light to stop notes ringing out, not like a palm muted powerchord.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutwulf
    Quote Originally Posted by Obivion
    Mostly I rest the side of my hand lightly on the bridge and apply pressure, moving it slowly as I sweep.
    That's how most do it.
    Hiho.

I know this is probably the 6 millionth question on right-hand muting but after searching i didn't feel my questions were answered clearly. Thought i'd ask in here instead of making a new thread.

I've been playing for a couple months now and the way i do it is for the E and A strings i use the meaty part under my thumb to mute. If i play on higher strings i sort of roll onto the opposite edge of my hand and mute with that.

Just wanted to ask if this is ok to do because at the moment it feels very inefficient to do