Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Satriani right hand muting legato technique

Satriani right hand muting legato technique

I've been struggling with a passage in "The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing" by Joe Satriani. It's the part where he grabs the neck with his right hand to mute the strings while playing legato.

I cant find the right way to mute whilst holding my pick at the same time. Notes bleed into eachother and it sounds like poop.
    Does anybody know the "right" way to execute this technique and how to practise up to the level of perfecting it?

I am aiming at this lick exclusively
    The Young Apprentice

I always use a fleshy part of my right hand for that, as you really wanna "deaden" the string. You can try moving the right hand up and down along the neck, and using different parts of the hand, checking by strumming the open strings (with the left hand).
    Also, itīs important to keep the left hand relaxed, so when you lift the fingers off the strings (after hammering on those notes), you wonīt create a loud pull-off.
    So maybe stick to the first three notes or so, move the right hand until those 3 notes ring out clear and no noise is heard, then try with 4 notes /strings etc. Build it up slowly.
    Hope this helps
    Eric

I am not seeing any results

When I grab around the neck like Satch, I can't seem tuo mute the strings properly. There are always some of them that doesn't get muted. I've reached a plateau in my technique development where I don't gain spee anymore. So I don't yet have the strength to make the notes sound cleanly by legato.
    When doing technical exercises, I don't feel tiredness or fatigue in my hands, I can go on forever. Still, I can't play this stuff properly.
    Very frustrating
    The Young Apprentice

I think you might be referring to a technique I've noticed and thought about learning myself. Keep on working, and I'll check out the thread later. Prepare to teach a few things to avoid, if you come across anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Revenant
    I am not seeing any results

When I grab around the neck like Satch, I can't seem tuo mute the strings properly. There are always some of them that doesn't get muted. I've reached a plateau in my technique development where I don't gain spee anymore. So I don't yet have the strength to make the notes sound cleanly by legato.
    When doing technical exercises, I don't feel tiredness or fatigue in my hands, I can go on forever. Still, I can't play this stuff properly.
    Very frustrating
    That's why he is Satch and you are not.

You must keep practicing, you've only had two days pass since you took Erics advice. Let us know how you're getting on in six months.

Good things come to those who practice.

If anyone knows a site with clips where this technique is demonstrated, I'd be very interested!

Let the master show you himself:

at 1.40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIDss4_IoaQ&NR

Yes, that's the craziness I had in mind. Great song by the way. Got to check for more clips like this.

Personally I don't think the problem with clean muted legato using this technoque ever lies in the right hand muting, it almost always lies with the left hand legato.

I can't say anymore than Eric already has, it just takes time...and patience.

Revenant, You look a lot like a piano player I know. Strange, I can't remember you playing the guitar. Or maybe it's not Revenant on the avatar?

You're right gersdal, It's Bugge Wesseltoft.
    I am NOT Bugge in case you wondered, but he is my role-model so that's why I have him as my ava.

UPDATE:
    The potato head project is going better! I found that slowing down the tempo, isolating each arpeggio and concentrating on them one at the time works the best. I guess its all about muscle memory. I can play it at 120 bpm now. Still 50 to go :P
    The Young Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Revenant
    You're right gersdal, It's Bugge Wesseltoft.
    I am NOT Bugge in case you wondered
    I guessed not I guess we would prefer to see your face rather than your role model... Allthough I don't know if the mod's have a rule against it.

Image copyright....hmmmm.I guess if Bugge doesn't complain.