Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strictly Easy Funk

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Excellent idea again Russ buddy!!!!! I shall be putting something to gether for this, but it will only be clean guitars as my Zoom has just passed on to the great Effects Cemetary in the sky!!!

So, I'm thinking along the lines of multi-layering some different lines in an attept to mask the lack of effects!!!

Wordgirl: Jaded Musician jade_bodhi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousnewf
    Here's a cool site with some funky chords though!

http://www.beaurocks.com/funk/index....tpage&Itemid=1
    I checked out this site, and I'm confused. The first chord on the site is referred to as a Gm7. It looks like a C7 to me. How can that be. That made me skeptical of the rest of the information, especially since the author uses all those idiosyncratic chord names. If he can't use standard musical language, he's going to confuse the people he's trying to instruct.

Jade
    Nobody ever shared
    what we have known...

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

It is Gminor 7

Quote Originally Posted by jade_bodhi
    I checked out this site, and I'm confused. The first chord on the site is referred to as a Gm7. It looks like a C7 to me. How can that be. That made me skeptical of the rest of the information, especially since the author uses all those idiosyncratic chord names. If he can't use standard musical language, he's going to confuse the people he's trying to instruct.

Jade
    Actually, that first chord is correctly named as Gminor7

If you look at the notes he has on that chord diagram, it is

G, G, Bb, F and G

This is basically a G minor 7 chord with no fifth. He does use an E in place of the F and goes back and fourth. When he is on the E it would be a G minor 6.

I understand why it looks like a C7 because a Cdominant 7 has the following notes. C E G Bb

Some of these notes are also in the G minor 7 chord but have different values.

In G minor, G is the root, Bb is the minor 3rd, F is the minor 7 and the E would be a minor 6.

In C7, C is the Root, G is the 5th, Bb is the b7 and E would be the third, F would be the 4 (or 11)

Hope that helps.

That site is great!

Simple??? I found it pretty hard! Anyway, another mindless rambling!!!!

Here's a cool site with some funky chords though!

http://www.beaurocks.com/funk/index....tpage&Itemid=1

Oh and here's my post....

That funky chord site is great! Love it..lots of excellent riffs to learn....

Furious some nice multi layered stuff going on there.

Joey, some gilmouresque tonality going on there.

Where was the funk riddim chops though guys? We KNOW you got the rock chops let's hear the riddim

Newfie Rock Guitarist furiousnewf's Avatar
    They were there in the layered riddim tracks!!!!

Glimouresque

Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    Furious some nice multi layered stuff going on there.

Joey, some gilmouresque tonality going on there.

Where was the funk riddim chops though guys? We KNOW you got the rock chops let's hear the riddim
    Please define glimouresque, never heard that one? But thanx, I think...

Newfie Rock Guitarist furiousnewf's Avatar
    David Gilmour like???? Or maybe it reminded him of a Gilmore Girls episode??? Who knows, brits are crazy!!!!

I got it

David Gilmour like???? Or maybe it reminded him of a Gilmore Girls episode??? Who knows, brits are crazy!!!!
    Oh! I like David Gilmore, thanx........I should re-record with some more funky stuff...

Pink Floyd

Yeah, the more I think about it, that whole pink floyd thing in the 70's really had a big influence on me...Sometimes I just forget my influences over the years.

David Gilmore had a nice way of just playing tasty licks without getting into speed but he would throw in a tasty little "quickie" here and there....

I like anything from Steve Howe, of Yes...Totally original thing going on there, he was much more into composition and his solos screamed Steve Howe......

Yep, Dave G. That's the one.

Yes, apols I should havbe qualified Furious did have the riddim going on, but Joey was just rockin'out! Nothing wrong with that, cept this is about the funk chops!

ps. I am only a little crazy. On a wednesday. With the wind behind. Going downhill.

Funk chops

Yes, apols I should havbe qualified Furious did have the riddim going on, but Joey was just rockin'out! Nothing wrong with that, cept this is about the funk chops!

ps. I am only a little crazy. On a wednesday. With the wind behind. Going downhill.
    Funk chops....However, notice that around 1 minute 9 seconds I do this little funk thing where you strum all the strings and hit one note..it's not just about funk chops, it is about playing over funk rhythm..

Everyone has a different style. I can take that same music and play several different styles of solo over it.....Think I will record it again with a different, more "funky" sort of thing going on.....anyone mind if I record it again and post?

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.

Phew!!! I'm crazy Thursday through to Tuesday, thank the Lord we don't clash!!!

Indeed!

You are quite correct joey, although might have missed the point of the strictly which was to demonstrate a funk technique specifically.

You'll know when you can demonstrate your flexibility in style when i post "Strictly Whatever You Feel Like"

Thought I'd give this a go, particular as I've noticied that my timing has been getting worse recently - funk stuff has helped in the past with this for me (although not today it seems).

I tried to use the breaks in the track to try out a different idea each section. The missing beat (?) in the second section was more than I could handle so I added another track with some (fake) sax to cover the guitar over!! After that an extra track on each part on the rest of the track was mandatory!

All the voicings are various pieces of Dm7 with the odd M6 added in here and there.

Ash.
    Attached Files Attached Files