Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strictly Easy Funk

Strictly Easy Funk

I see a lot of debate about how funky is a chord and of course it's all a bit subjective and individual, one mans funk is another mans...well you get the idea.

But I think there are some easy characteristics that can be used to sim that funk sound.

I take a simple minor triad on the EBG strings, slide it into position from a semi-tone down and vary it with the pinky to add the extensions. Dmin in this instance.

Check the clip to hear my ideas. I ramble off in a pent/dorian section but mainly stick to my easy funk riff.

Anyone else have some easy funk ideas to throw into the ring?

As usual I post backing track for you guys to have a play around with in Dmin.

Enjoy.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by UKRuss; 11-26-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Now this is a nice beat. Listening to the backing track first, then the one with lead.

Certainly getting in the mood by listening to this backing track. Eager to hear the version with lead. It begins in less than half a minute...

This is nice! Definitely funky. Interesting chords on the guitar. When it comes to the bass line, how about making it more rapid at some places? Ie. not let it ring, just cut a note here and there abruptly.

At any rate, I enjoyed the general flavour greatly.

Thanks Joe, it was the backing track from the Miss Icey rap so I didn't edit it, just let it run as it were.

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Nice

Would you mind if I loaded the jam into my 8 track and threw in some improv and post it? I love to play over funk rhythm...

That's the idea of the strictlies Joe, have a jam over it and let us all know what you've done so we can share some ideas and learn form each other.

The key to this one is to let everyone have an idea for an easy way to get funking.

ps ( note to all, I just noticed the riddim jumps at one stage in the BT, sorry for that you'll just have to make do I'm afraid.)

Cool man

Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    That's the idea of the strictlies Joe, have a jam over it and let us all know what you've done so we can share some ideas and learn form each other.

The key to this one is to let everyone have an idea for an easy way to get funking.

ps ( note to all, I just noticed the riddim jumps at one stage in the BT, sorry for that you'll just have to make do I'm afraid.)
    Thanx. I will record something over that and post it.. Love to jam and expirement with funk rhythms...Lots of room to expirement..Thanx again.

Gotta wait until tomorrow

I loaded it to my recorder but my hands are shot today... Spent most of the day working through some chord books...Can barely move my fingers....

My hands go into this atrophy sort of state so I gotta rest up for a day or so...I hate it when this happens but I have spent lots of time over the past few days working on chords that require stretching.

I am careful with stretching but it takes a toll, but usually a day or two off and I'm back to normal....Will try and post something then..thanx.

Wordgirl: Jaded Musician jade_bodhi's Avatar

funky questions

Nice funk, MR. Russ. Seems simple enough to get the hang of it. I'd like to learn more of this style. I love blues but am not proficient at all types. I do love Frusciante's guitar on Blood Sugar Sex Magic, which I would call ultra funky in places. I also like old Sam and Dave records and the Isley Brothers, which seem funky to me.

It sounds like one convention of funk is to play treble string chords above the fifth fret, no? Also, the funky sound favors seventh chords, no? These are just my novice impressions.

Jade
    Nobody ever shared
    what we have known...

You also have the palm-muted, single notes riffs. I find it easier to get a solid groove going that way at first, since strummed 16ths require a bit of practice to start sounding funky enough, with a consistency in volume, note duration, attack, and tone. Prince still kills me when he starts playing those funky guitar parts. Makes you want to just jump out of your seat and dance like a maniac. Now THAT'S groove =)

Indeed! You guys have picked two of the finest exponents of course, and they take the sound to the next level.

I thought we could start with some simple ideas to kick it off.

The single note palm muted stuff is another excellent example of basic funk technique. let's hear a sample!

Jade, I heard someone say once: "Funk on the top 3 strings, jazz on the middle four and rock on the bottom three"

An oversimplification of course but perhaps not a bad rule of thumb.

Newfie Rock Guitarist furiousnewf's Avatar
    Simple??? I found it pretty hard! Anyway, another mindless rambling!!!!

Here's a cool site with some funky chords though!

http://www.beaurocks.com/funk/index....tpage&Itemid=1

Oh and here's my post....
    Last edited by furiousnewf; 11-28-2006 at 01:03 AM. Reason: fix link

Wordgirl: Jaded Musician jade_bodhi's Avatar
    Jade, I heard someone say once: "Funk on the top 3 strings, jazz on the middle four and rock on the bottom three"
    Very apropos. Maybe only guitar players can understand this quotation, but it has the ring of truth.
    Nobody ever shared
    what we have known...

Quote Originally Posted by furiousnewf
    Simple??? I found it pretty hard! Anyway, another mindless rambling!!!!

Here's a cool site with some funky chords though!

http://www.beaurocks.com/funk/index....tpage&Itemid=1

Oh and here's my post....

Very interesting solo, nice use of space, not rushed...then at the end you let em have it with some nice quick runs... good vibrato...nice tone....

I gave it a shot

Ok, well, I gave it a shot..just got home from work and the hands are feeling a little better.....Here is my so called "solo" jam over miss funky...

Sorry about the recording levels, my recording set up is a bit funky as well....hard to get levels I want....anyway, here it is, yo!

Nice one guys, I'll check 'em out this evening when I get in.